Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

Need to perhaps remember a grasp of maths isn't everyone's strong suit.  For what it's worth however, I agree.  Knights worth 10 million based on prices I've seen paid for some s**** over the years.  We won't get it but he's worth it.  Like Hendrick, he'll be a physical beast in 3 years if he avoids injury.  Add that to his desire to win .  10 million all day.  We paid that for a bloke who came here with strapping on both knees and whose whole career involved a few appearances for a club in Poland, six months warming the Walsall bench,  more bench time at Birmingham and a season at League 1 Charlton.  Throw in a nasty shoulder injury as a forewarning of the delights to follow.  

On 25/06/2023 at 17:34, Ramarena said:

Happy if he stays as he’s a very useful player and he sounds positive about our future, which is a good sign. But also understand if he wanted to move on. 

Unfortunately I don’t think we’d get what we’d hope for him, £2.5m looks optimistic in the current market, sadly.

if they take him, Luton might pay 2.5. Dont think any championship club will 

57 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Need to perhaps remember a grasp of maths isn't everyone's strong suit.  For what it's worth however, I agree.  Knights worth 10 million based on prices I've seen paid for some s**** over the years.  We won't get it but he's worth it.  Like Hendrick, he'll be a physical beast in 3 years if he avoids injury.  Add that to his desire to win .  10 million all day.  We paid that for a bloke who came here with strapping on both knees and whose whole career involved a few appearances for a club in Poland, six months warming the Walsall bench,  more bench time at Birmingham and a season at League 1 Charlton.  Throw in a nasty shoulder injury as a forewarning of the delights to follow.  

Incredibly poor re ruitment department .   Maybe to cheer us up we should have a thread of two teams worth of the worst deals in the last ten years . .. pound for pound lack of value for expense paid , we could call it our ANYAism years ..  

5 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Knight’s skills are largely in the ugly, practical side of the game.

He rats and harries, covers for teammates, runs into areas which create space for others, wins cheap free kicks.

As a RWB, I thought he did a pretty good job. He was certainly a help to NML.

In midfield he had to do a lot of the grunt work for the less mobile Hourihane and Bird. Little wonder he didn’t create much.

I’d say if Knight goes (and that looks increasingly likely), we need two CM players in, one attacking and one as a grafter.

Bird can act as pivot and I see Hourihane as an impact sub or fill-in for Bird.

We definitely need more impact/momentum from midfield because we’re at our best when playing with tempo.

I really don’t get how Bird or Knight are rated above Hourihane 

I know Hourihane got some criticism last season but I thought after an indifferent spell he worked hard and contributed with goals and assists 

I don’t see either of Bird or Knight commanding the transfer fees Hourihane did and I also don’t see Knight or Bird being premier league players 

More due to his age I think we’ll see Hourihane being brought off for Bird after 60 mins or so not the other way round 

6 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I really don’t get how Bird or Knight are rated above Hourihane 

I know Hourihane got some criticism last season but I thought after an indifferent spell he worked hard and contributed with goals and assists 

I don’t see either of Bird or Knight commanding the transfer fees Hourihane did and I also don’t see Knight or Bird being premier league players 

More due to his age I think we’ll see Hourihane being brought off for Bird after 60 mins or so not the other way round 

Take away Hourihane's set pieces and he's on 5 assists from open play vs Bird's 6. With the addition of Ward and others still to join, Hourihane's influence over set pieces will diminish. I still believe Sibley take better corners too.

Bird is much better defensively, actually managed to assists more than Hourihane from open play in less minutes, and retains possession better.

Bird's still only 22, whislt Hourihane is 32. If we do sign another CM, as the season progresses, Hourihane's minutes should decrease as we build for the future.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I said 10m get it right

Might I suggest you re-read the posts B4... 

I understand that you want us to receive a large amount of money for Knight, we all do, the more the better.... BUT, saying that he is worth 25 million is ludicrous. Just trying to keep your expectation levels realistic.

Edited by DanS1992

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Take away Hourihane's set pieces and he's on 5 assists from open play vs Bird's 6. With the addition of Ward and others still to join, Hourihane's influence over set pieces will diminish. I still believe Sibley take better corners too.

Bird is much better defensively, actually managed to assists more than Hourihane from open play in less minutes, and retains possession better.

Bird's still only 22, whislt Hourihane is 32. If we do sign another CM, as the season progresses, Hourihane's minutes should decrease as we build for the future.

Bird has to up his game for me …Hourihane does basically what I expected whereas I expected Bird to control the midfield a bit more …but he doesn’t …has the potential but we need more from him and more goals 

41 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Do they need two? 

IMG_5379.jpeg

According to various sources, the fee is £1.5m. This for a player 3 years older than Knight and no senior Irish caps compared with Knight's 20 caps. As a result of his age, he would have been free to leave for nothing next year, where Knight's fee would be set by tribunal.

These facts point to Knight commanding a fee greater than the £1.5m we've been hearing. But Peterborough have a knack of receiving good fees for their players, whereas Derby don't.

5 minutes ago, ram59 said:

According to various sources, the fee is £1.5m. This for a player 3 years older than Knight and no senior Irish caps compared with Knight's 20 caps. As a result of his age, he would have been free to leave for nothing next year, where Knight's fee would be set by tribunal.

These facts point to Knight commanding a fee greater than the £1.5m we've been hearing. But Peterborough have a knack of receiving good fees for their players, whereas Derby don't.

Equally the fact they’ve gone for him suggests there’s lots of competition for Knight and that we are holding firm

28 minutes ago, ram59 said:

That last bit is really flawed. Like so and so went for x million so my player whom is better than him therefore is worth more.

A player is only worth what another club is willing to pay for them. 

Just look at Man Utd and Mason Mount. They clearly have their own valuation and will probably move on now to other players. 

So let's not cry if we sell Knight and it's nowhere near the figures that some folks are touting on here. 

I still read posts on here moaning about how much we sold Will Hughes to Watford for. Move on. 

7 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Didn't they also guess that Didzy was staying 

Yeah might have! 
To be fair all the talk of him leaving there’s only really been Bristol linked. 
Maybe he likes it at Derby so unless one of the top championship clubs come in maybe he will actually stay. 
Warne loves him and despise what comments have come out from the Ireland gaffer he keeps picking him to start so no worry’s on being left out if he stays.

Edited by McMuffin

15 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

IMG_8371.jpeg

Just FYI, TFR Football is not reliable and regularly makes stuff up / gets stuff wrong. File under Barry the Ram and that bloke who said we were signing the German centre back…

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Bird has to up his game for me …Hourihane does basically what I expected whereas I expected Bird to control the midfield a bit more …but he doesn’t …has the potential but we need more from him and more goals 

Not his best season but again look at the points per game, with and without him.

5 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You forgot to mention the lack of teeth following an on the pitch altercation.