Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Because it's the old way - spend more than you have. Maybe we're taking our time in negotiations to prove that we'll only spend what we want to, what a player is worth. and we don't need to sell to spend within our budget. Our more likely it's proving tough negotiating with players who might go to the division above! 😄

I agree, happy to be patient and see who we add provided the club’s best interests are being considered (which I think it’s clear, from how David Clowes talks, is the case). 
He says we’ve got a competitive budget, he knows what’s been agreed with the EFL, I trust him to run the club well and as much as I like the excitement of silly season I’ll gladly wait to see who we sign and how the team plays as a result. 

51 minutes ago, McMuffin said:

Why is there an assumption that we have to sell Knight before we buy anyone?

Clowes indicated we have a sizeable budget and it would be enough to get out of this league!

He didn’t mention selling anyone?

We will want to sign the best players available to us … selling Knight would alter our budget and we may be able to sign better players than if we didn’t sell him. 

Based on what we have currently I think we need knight and if we were good enough to be promoted we would certainly need him in the championship as we would have plenty of limited players, obviously he needs convincing to extend his contract with us.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete said:

We will want to sign the best players available to us … selling Knight would alter our budget and we may be able to sign better players than if we didn’t sell him. 

It might also not alter our wage and transfer budget at all - if the owner doesn’t want to fund losses and I suspect he doesn’t.

in the past folk kept saying we can stay with a £13 million loss every year then everything is fine but it’s really a £5 million loss per year if the owner isn’t pumping his own money in and why would we expect the owner to operate the club in a loss making way? 
Mel Morris raised everyone’s hopes by funding our losses which ultimately fuelled our nightmares. 

13 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

It might also not alter our wage and transfer budget at all - if the owner doesn’t want to fund losses and I suspect he doesn’t.

in the past folk kept saying we can stay with a £13 million loss every year then everything is fine but it’s really a £5 million loss per year if the owner isn’t pumping his own money in and why would we expect the owner to operate the club in a loss making way? 
Mel Morris raised everyone’s hopes by funding our losses which ultimately fuelled our nightmares. 

Mel Morris didn't really fund our losses, he multiplied our losses. He ran the 'business' like a s*** show, and threw cash initially at the disaster he created. When it ran out of control, he ran.

33 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

But our chairman has already indicated we have the best budget in the league so what difference wound it make?

Knight is Warnes favourite so doubt he falls in the category of wanting to sell Knight.

Edited by McMuffin

52 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

more likely we need to know if he’ll be sold, and for how much, before we can decide whom we most want to buy and how much we can pay  

Well only Bristol have been linked that was weeks ago and he has since been pictured smiling in training so would it be best to assume he staying and build the rest of the team 

7 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Do we think we have enough in midfield or will Knight have to be replaced.

There will either be 3 or 4 midfielders required depending on if we play 3421 or 352/3412.

I imagine Hourihane, Bird and Knight will be in and around the deeper 2 positions. So it’s who he feels needs to be in the other spot(s). He could play Bird or Hourihane further forward. But it’s not very mobile with those 3 or defensive 

13 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Do we think we have enough in midfield or will Knight have to be replaced.

With the acquisitions that have been made we’re gaining smith into midfield , whos shown to be a v competent player. 

also, although im Less of a fan as others sibley has also been freed up in the same way so i think we’re ok…. Maybe

something young and raw thats happy to sit behind CH, MB And KS and learn etc