Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

We need to do everything we can to keep hold of Allen. 

We need to make sure the pathway into the U21 squad doesn't block him or other CMs stepping up. That means quite a few need to either move up to the first team or get loaned out. We'll see 1 or 2 released/sold in the summer too.

Our other CM/AM options being: DRobinson, Radcliffe, Fapetu, Lindsay, Weston, Hawkins and Bates. McAndrew will also be looking at U21 football next season.

2-2 FT. The first side to stop Man Utd from winning this season is still a good achievement.

MUTV commentators kept referring to our 'experienced' side. They've started with 9 of their 11 most used players. Meanwhile, we were missing JThompson, KRobinson, Gill, Hawkins and Wheeldon as well as Eames only starting on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Unfortunate. 92nd minute equaliser in the top corner.

Was a poor (bit panicked?) clearance to the Utd player alone on the edge of the box. Came back well after that even so. Bit annoying having to listen to Utd commo calling us a big physical side, implying we 'kicked them'. We closed them down and played as nicely as them. There were some good forward breaks by us in the second half. Osong through one on one with the keeper and earlier a similar chance on the rhs. Utd were lucky.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Based on long-term potential, which players in our academy have the highest ceiling if they fulfil their talent? Based on a scenario whereby their attitude is good and they don't have serious injuries.

On the limited evidence I've seen, I'd say Jack Thompson and Cruz Allen.

DRobinson and DBrown are closest to the first team and should have had more minutes this season to help them transition from youth football to men's.

JThompson is my man of the match most weeks now. He's an excellent shot stopper and calm when playing out from the back.

I really like Cox who is perfectly suited to Warne's LCB role. Versitile enough to play LB or LWB too. Eventually I'd like to see him at LCB with Cashin moved central.

Gill was a regular at LB for the U18s last season despite being an U16 player. He's now being introdcued to U21 football.

Hawkins is another who was fast tracked. 17 U18 games when still an U16 player, then 16 games at U21 when a first year scholar. Earlier in the season I stated he needed to start adding end product to his game, which he has started to do over the past coiple of months. He's a simialr type of player to Bird, is currently a DM but could be moved further forward eventually, just like Warne's done with Bird.

Allen is a special player. He was introduced to the U18s late last season and scored 2 goals in 4 apps. Since the summer he has really kicked on. He's scored 3 goals in 343 mins for Wales U17 and 7 goal contributions in 719 minuts for our U18s. He's recently stepped up to the U21s too (scoring on his only start) He's also an excellent freekick taker. Mainly an AM but can play anywhere in midfield or on the wings. He's still only 16.

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

DRobinson and DBrown are closest to the first team and should have had more minutes this season to help them transition from youth football to men's.

JThompson is my man of the match most weeks now. He's an excellent shot stopper and calm when playing out from the back.

I really like Cox who is perfectly suited to Warne's LCB role. Versitile enough to play LB or LWB too. Eventually I'd like to see him at LCB with Cashin moved central.

Gill was a regular at LB for the U18s last season despite being an U16 player. He's now being introdcued to U21 football.

Hawkins is another who was fast tracked. 17 U18 games when still an U16 player, then 16 games at U21 when a first year scholar. Earlier in the season I stated he needed to start adding end product to his game, which he has started to do over the past coiple of months. He's a simialr type of player to Bird, is currently a DM but could be moved further forward eventually, just like Warne's done with Bird.

Allen is a special player. He was introduced to the U18s late last season and scored 2 goals in 4 apps. Since the summer he has really kicked on. He's scored 3 goals in 343 mins for Wales U17 and 7 goal contributions in 719 minuts for our U18s. He's recently stepped up to the U21s too (scoring on his only start) He's also an excellent freekick taker. Mainly an AM but can play anywhere in midfield or on the wings. He's still only 16.

A really helpful and informative response as always, @Ghost of Clough - thank you. I also like what I've seen of Cox, seems calm and very comfortable on the ball. I wondered if Hawkins' development had stalled a little, but it sounds like you feel he's starting to kick on again. Obviously all these players are still very young, but lads like Allen and Thompson do seem to have a great chance of making it if they're managed well and given the right opportunities at the right time.