Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

On 30/05/2023 at 09:11, IlsonDerby said:

Because the players on the pitch gave us the good times. I’m not asking for Mel Morris to be playing centre forward with Kirschner on the wing. 

Prison wing maybe?

1 hour ago, Dan_Ram said:

Matlock, Stoke and Chesterfield. Has the team bus rental got a mileage cap on it this year?

1 hour ago, Srg said:

It’s all very Nigel Clough. Be running round Allestree Park first week of July. 

While I always enjoy touring around Derbyshire. I wouldn't mind having one of Nigel's pre-seasons again. The away games against Yeovil, Torquay and Exeter, resulted in a pleasant week touring Devon.

9 hours ago, angieram said:

Totally disagree. Last season we played some teams who played nice football, nicely. 

We need to be playing teams who get us used to being roughed up a bit. 

Well I totally disagree, there's more than one way to beat a bully (pun intended). We need to be innovative again as a Club is what I meant, but yeah on the field too.

I think a mixture of pre-season works with U21s/fringe players playing local teams like Belper and Matlock and 1 local first team game v Chezzy or Burton. Then 2 teams away from home close to each other like Torquay and Plymouth.

Then you just need a prestige home game against a big European team like Stoke...ooops  

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well I totally disagree, there's more than one way to beat a bully (pun intended). We need to be innovative again as a Club is what I meant, but yeah on the field too.

But surely we need to learn how to be innovative again teams that play league 1 football? We need to practice how we can impose our game against opposition that are likely to play the kind of football we will face most weeks in the league. I reckon that would be much better preparation than playing premier league, upper championship or foreign teams.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

But surely we need to learn how to be innovative again teams that play league 1 football? We need to practice how we can impose our game against opposition that are likely to play the kind of football we will face most weeks in the league. I reckon that would be much better preparation than playing premier league, upper championship or foreign teams.

I don't know Warne's plan but I'd guess it doesn't involve innovation, he will surely want to better them at 'their own game'. Again though I was talking about the Club as a whole not particularly the squad.

19 hours ago, Dan_Ram said:

Matlock, Stoke and Chesterfield. Has the team bus rental got a mileage cap on it this year?

Could be that’s why they made sure the really far away ones like Stoke and Sheffield are at home. OR is it because we are trying to be carbon zero maybe ?