Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

On 25/05/2023 at 17:43, angieram said:

Disappointed with this, a testimonial should be a celebration, it should be fun, it should be a reflection of ten years' great service to the club with cameo appearances, tricky skills, some dodgy defending and improbable goals! 

None of those things come to mind when you think of Stoke's dour, physical football. They don't even like us and I can't imagine their fans entering into the spirit of the occasion.

Should be two derby XIs from his entire time here. 

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

We’re actually talking 2009 and Clough was there when Barnes was injured.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/5466369/clough-admits-barnes-concern

I stand corrected on the year. My previous post did state "IIRC" in relation to 2008. The link you quote shows Clough having concern following the injury received in the Stoke game. Do you have a link to the one you mentioned earlier where Clough "made him play"?

On 26/05/2023 at 08:13, Srg said:

Probably in the minority here, I’m aware, but I don’t get the whole bringing back players from the last 10 years. With the failures we had, and the pain which ultimately nearly lead us to extinction, as much as I’m pleased Forsyth gets some recognition, I just want to look forward and not harp on about bygone “success”of losing play off finals. I’d rather forget, and build again. 

Because the players on the pitch gave us the good times. I’m not asking for Mel Morris to be playing centre forward with Kirschner on the wing. 

4 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I stand corrected on the year. My previous post did state "IIRC" in relation to 2008. The link you quote shows Clough having concern following the injury received in the Stoke game. Do you have a link to the one you mentioned earlier where Clough "made him play"?

I don’t - it is a direct quote from Barnes in the book by Ryan Hills - Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County in the 21st Century

It’s a good read, but is more of a reverse feel good story - starts well and ends up depressing!

59 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

I don’t - it is a direct quote from Barnes in the book by Ryan Hills - Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County in the 21st Century

It’s a good read, but is more of a reverse feel good story - starts well and ends up depressing!

So, it's probably better to start at the back and work forward, then?

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

During the Q&A he does for the DET Leigh Curtis has said the friendlies are all likely to be UK based, with another to be announced shortly and the full pre season picture probably being clear in the next fortnight. 

Good. I really don't see the point of overseas preseason friendlies.