Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Martin was exceptional too.

It didn't have to be a flash in the pan. MacClaren inherited a team he could inspire but ultimately didn't understand.

Martin definitely, regardless of any fanboyism or hate now, was not exceptional when we signed him. He was rubbish on loan and most wondered what on earth we kept him for. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I didn't ask you to respect an opinion. But I did question your opinion of the fans' posting their opinion. There is the difference you didn't acknowledge.

Anyway I still don't rate Collins as a footballer, but I hope if he is picked to play he scores shedloads for us! #COYR

I’ve no problem with other fans posting an opinion. I just said I hope Collins will score and shut them up.

anyway, I have never thought you were nasty. You’re a knowledgeable but occasionally grumpy curmudgeon with a Chris Martin Tat on your lower back. 

6 minutes ago, jono said:

I’ve no problem with other fans posting an opinion. I just said I hope Collins will score and shut them up.

anyway, I have never thought you were nasty. You’re a knowledgeable but occasionally grumpy curmudgeon with a Chris Martin Tat on your lower back. 

I'm hoping that if he plays he scores too. I really hoping for us to sign more quality forwards then the competition might up the return amongst them.

My CM tat had a lick and stick Didzy tat over the top of it, but it's worn off. 😞 #COYR

12 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I wasn't criticising the thread, just the over the top comments by some fans. The results in these games are irrelevant but some fans see this as an extension of the season.

The clubs are partly to blame for turning these games into income streams without pointing out the relevance of them for those that can't work it out for themselves.

On the specifics of today's game, James Collins is getting loads of stick and yet I guarantee that his confidence will be high, having scored 2 goals in three games.

I think people were concerned by the quality of play rather than the result.

Something Warne agreed with and allowed to be made public.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Basically I found the overall performance very underwhelming. The style and patterns of play were poor. 

It’s a deliberate plan. We don’t want to dominate our pre-season matches and win by cricket scores or the scouts from other clubs will know what they are up against.

We are letting them think that we are a bunch of donkeys with few ball skills but who can run around a bit.

But when the season starts ………

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Basically I found the overall performance very underwhelming. The style and patterns of play were poor. 

It wasn't great, first half we looked very leggy and off the pace. Passing was sloppy and partnerships looked poor, wingbacks and CB not knowing who should mark who. I thought Cash was very poor first half, very unlike him. Communication wasn't great either. But before anyone gets too down this is what pre season is for to iron out all the faults. 

Again, following on from my Matlock rant, a minority of idiotic fans slating our own players, one that stood out calling Thommo a dwarf and hammering him constantly. Can we pass a motion where we are allowed to club these fans with bats? We could call it the Baseball Ground and pound!!!

Edited by ollycutts1982

Club confirm 4 testimonial cameos (although I'd argue 1 of them is stretching the definition, as is the word testimonial) 

Bryson

Waggy

Nugent

Johnson 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/quartet-of-forsyths-former-teammates-set-to-feature-in-testimonial

I'm counting this as Waggy being on trial with the club I reckon 😂

Edited by whiteroseram
Thought I'd give you the correct link

15 hours ago, Srg said:

If he’s not shackled with anchoring the midfield and is given licence then it could be huge. 

I think it was under Rooney that Bird was given his defensive credentials but to my mind he always looks more effective higher up. I may be rose tinted but I always think he’s the more likely to pull out the unpredictable pass or hit a screamer.

2 hours ago, whiteroseram said:

Club confirm 4 testimonial cameos (although I'd argue 1 of them is stretching the definition, as is the word testimonial) 

Bryson

Waggy

Nugent

Johnson 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/07/quartet-of-forsyths-former-teammates-set-to-feature-in-testimonial

I'm counting this as Waggy being on trial with the club I reckon 😂

I doubt it, no beard ! 

33 minutes ago, jono said:

I think it was under Rooney that Bird was given his defensive credentials but to my mind he always looks more effective higher up. I may be rose tinted but I always think he’s the more likely to pull out the unpredictable pass or hit a screamer.

Basically he was better whenever Bielik was there to do the defensive stuff. 

Thompson is the stand out for me in pre season so far and I think he may be a surprise package this season , thought we looked very open defensively down our right side last night , very pleased with the goal and that kind of delivery to Collins was lacking last season , hoping for another striker and a bit of flair to come in before the window closes 

3 hours ago, jono said:

He’s shown he can do both, I’m hoping this is the season he does them consistently

I can see us not losing too many games this season.

I was really impressed with Sonny Bradley against Chesterfield - looked strong and dominant, whilst his reading of the game looked excellent.  He had anticipated pretty much every attack and was there to tidy up.

Not a last ditch tackle in sight.