Summer Rumour Mill

sage

On 29/07/2023 at 12:57, Carnero said:

That's not what Warne said at all, it is being misconstrued by some people, either deliberately or otherwise.

He actually said that there was a certain amount of room left in his budget and he wants more 3 players (LWB, "10", "9"), but if he spent a transfer fee of say £300,000+ coupled with the wages for this player then he'd only be able bring in 1 or 2.

For some context, let's say there's £1.2m left in the budget for this season, this would mean that we could bring in 3 x players on frees/loans at £8k a week each.

But if we paid £400,000 for a player we now have £800,000 left in the budget which means we can only afford to pay 2 x players at £8k a week each.

This is basic business logic.

I'm glad we've set a budget for the playing squad and are sticking to it, it's long overdue.

Could have said so before now! 😉

Does it feel like our budget is less than last year?

Out go Knight, Davies, Chester, Didzy, Roberts (If we were contributing anything) plus the other loans.

In come Vickers, Nelson, Sonny, Wilson, Washington, Elder, Ward.

There is a chance to me that the combined wages there are pretty much equal however, we have raised money and some of this is allowed for reinvestment. 

I can only guess right now that literally no one is available or wants to play L1 football.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

Out go Knight, Davies, Chester, Didzy, Roberts (If we were contributing anything) plus the other loans.

There is a chance to me that the combined wages there are pretty much equal however, we have raised money and some of this is allowed for reinvestment. 

I can only guess right now that literally no one is available or wants to play L1 football.

Or our restrictions are more than we think. 

This has all come from a guy on Shrewsbury's forums saying "James Collins is signing on loan" no club or anything. It'll likely be Watford academy striker James Collins, not ours. It's just been taken a bit out of hand. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

This has all come from a guy on Shrewsbury's forums saying "James Collins is signing on loan" no club or anything. It'll likely be Watford academy striker James Collins, not ours. It's just been taken a bit out of hand. 

Makes more sense, obviously in a better situation I doubt many would be annoyed at Shrewsbury taking Collins (and his wage) off us but we can barely fill the gaps we have upfront as it is without creating another needlessly. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Or as some of us have mentioned before some budgeted funds likely earmarked for new contracts for those already here who we couldnt offer longer deals to before

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Some Numpties online think Shrewsbury are going to sign James Collins on loan 😂😂

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Makes more sense, obviously in a better situation I doubt many would be annoyed at Shrewsbury taking Collins (and his wage) off us but we can barely fill the gaps we have upfront as it is without creating another needlessly. 

Injured for the majority of the season supposedly...despite playing 52 games in all competitions with 36 of them being starts. Remarkable!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-collins/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/62640/saison/2022/verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0

29 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Injured for the majority of the season supposedly...despite playing 52 games in all competitions with 36 of them being starts. Remarkable!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-collins/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/62640/saison/2022/verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0

This was due to noise from Shrewsbury fans that James Collins was due to sign on loan - this page brought it to light. As someone else mentioned, it’s most likely a case of someone getting their James Collins-es mixed up.

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

No need to panic just yet, although the season starts on Saturday, there's still 31 days 23 hours 49 minutes 35.84 second to go, to the end of the transfer window. 😁

1690841680687472255153599906185.jpg

And we can sign free transfers up until around mid-November.  So any that might be biding their time could be available in early September.  I think that was how we signed Joe Ledley, initially on a 3 month contract (I think!!).