Summer Rumour Mill

sage

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If it’s Waghorn or Dobbin I’d go for Dobbin. 
His pace and trickery scares defenders. If he can learn the composure to even make a simple pass after beating a man, we’ll create so many chances.

If he learns how to shoot we won’t keep him long!

He didn't learn all last season.

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I didn’t read it as there’s no money to spend, it says to me we’re still hampered in what we’re allowed to spend. This is why we’ve had sign players from other clubs on structured deals (Washington and Wilson). This must be summer number 5 where the EFL have meddled in our transfer dealings.

I agree 

£2-3 million in the bank can’t touch it .

EFL - you are only allowed £300k that 2-3 million contributes to income generated.

we need to go up this season then aren’t all restrictions gone next season?

12 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I agree 

£2-3 million in the bank can’t touch it .

EFL - you are only allowed £300k that 2-3 million contributes to income generated.

we need to go up this season then aren’t all restrictions gone next season?

Getting up will be kinda difficult without scoring goals….

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

I wasn’t really thinking about Bielik, more the loss of Knight and McGoldrick. Neither in my view have been replaced by better quality players in Smith or Washington. The problem we have is that Warnes preferred style is easily countered if you press/nullify the wing backs. Once you’ve done that and stopped the crosses coming in our current strikers are dead in the water, so we desperately need another more mobile/quick forward who can makes things happen in other ways. I appreciate we are restricted financially but without this option I think we are going to be lame ducks next season. 

I didn't see the game yesterday, but didn't Bird play further forward and play a couple of neat balls? Mendez-Laing definitely scored from a cute pass by him. Collins scored from a cross by Smith. We have got players in the middle that can create chances for the forwards. We need to be aware of when we need to change tactics if plan A isn't working. I just don't think that we are any worse than last season.

45 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He’s twenty.

He will develop as a player. Waghorn et al won’t. They’ll just get slower.

You know what you'll get with Waghorn/Rhodes. You say Dobbin will develop, you don't know that, nor how/when it might happen.

We 'gambled' on not having a back up striker last season and it cost us more than Waghorns (or whoever) wages.

Davies got a lot of deserved credit for signing a waiver to help the cause on the final game of the season and went on to become a Derby icon for what he did for the badge that day. However did we forget about Waggy for the grit and determination he also showed that game? Real body on the line stuff and motivating from the side line.

It shows that both love the club (like we do) but Waggy's heroics seemed to have got overshadowed by Davies.

I'd say give him a shot, strength in depth and all that.

13 minutes ago, Retro_RAM said:

Davies got a lot of deserved credit for signing a waiver to help the cause on the final game of the season and went on to become a Derby icon for what he did for the badge that day. However did we forget about Waggy for the grit and determination he also showed that game? Real body on the line stuff and motivating from the side line.

It shows that both love the club (like we do) but Waggy's heroics seemed to have got overshadowed by Davies.

I'd say give him a shot, strength in depth and all that.

What heroics, he did his job. It took a bollocking from Rooney to get him to put out in training, his motivation could be questioned. 

Edited by RoyMac5

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What heroics, he did his job. It took a bollocking from Rooney to get him to put out in training, his motivation could be questioned. 

To be fair, he scored a brace including the decisive penalty which kept us up- I think that constitutes 'heroics' being used in reference to that game?

(Just watched the highlights back, and he also sets up Roberts' goal with his hold-up play and slips Jozwiak in for the penalty foul as well.)

Edited by YorkshireRam

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

To be fair, he scored a brace including the decisive penalty which kept us up- I think that constitutes 'heroics' being used in reference to that game?

Not really. He played well at last, he was mostly poor that season. Did his job.

Davies did not have to risk his health and the rest of his career to come on when needed.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not really. He played well at last, he was mostly poor that season. Did his job.

Davies did not have to risk his health and the rest of his career to come on when needed.

I'm not sure the rest of his season undermines the comment that he did perform 'heroics' on that day though; without him we'd have been relegated?

Davies put his body on the line and showed great courage but Waggy actually delivered the goods that kept us up. In terms of impact on the game, Waghorn had far, far more influence. Both were heroes on that day, in my eyes. 

38 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

(Just watched the highlights back, and he also sets up Roberts' goal with his hold-up play and slips Jozwiak in for the penalty foul as well.)

By the same logic then let's sign Marlon Pack from Portsmouth 

54 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I'm not sure the rest of his season undermines the comment that he did perform 'heroics' on that day though; without him we'd have been relegated?

Davies put his body on the line and showed great courage but Waggy actually delivered the goods that kept us up. In terms of impact on the game, Waghorn had far, far more influence. Both were heroes on that day, in my eyes. 

Yes they were but perhaps if the team/staff had performed better all season those heroics wouldnt have been needed. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Literally the only time in Waghorn's 16 year career where his attitude and professionalism has been questioned by any of his managers, quite the opposite in fact, and it's by Wayne "I'm leaving Derby so I can spend more time with my family in Cheshire.... by moving back to Washington DC"  Rooney.

I think I'll take what Rooney said with a huge pouring of salt.

I think he later said he regretted his comments anyhow.