Summer Rumour Mill

sage

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

£2 million on a 30-year old with a 2-year contract? That’s a Mel Morris signing.

1) We won’t have anywhere near £2 million and even if we sell Cashin (I hope we don’t), I’d be surprised if we reinvest more than one million.

2) He would probably have zero resale value. Even with two good years, he then leaves on a free.

3) We could do more by asking the EFL to remove this 2-year contract length. That hurts us more than anything.

If we are going to spend money - then get 2 or 3 x 500k players in the 22-26 category.

Hungry, can improve, can increase their value etc.

There’s no restriction on contract lengths. I’m guessing we haven’t offered longer contracts to some due to age or question marks on fitness. Plus they’ve all been free so far so contract length isn’t as important. 

I’d imagine we’d offer Clarke Harris 3 years if we spent money on him. He’s rarely injured as far as I know? He’s got a good 3-5 years left at league one/champ level

Nobody knows the fee either. We’ve done some good innovative deals this transfer window. Who’s to say that won’t continue 🤷‍♂️

A fee of 2 million is nothing like the fees of 8-10m we were paying under Morris.

We'd pay 2 million over say 2 seasons. To pay for that, we need to sell 33k tickets, for 2 seasons. It's not an insignificant fee for league one, but for us it's peanuts.

The killer would be wages. 8k a week would be about 832k over 2 years. Again, paid for by selling about 20k tickets a year.

We could pay for CH in a total of 4 games. Assuming no incoming fees from say Cashin are used. It's really not spending money we don't have, but it might be outside our budget, which I'd understand.

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

One of the biggest frustrations with fans was spending good money on players with little to no resale value so I am surprised in the clamour for Clarke Harris. If we are going to spend a decent fee (£1m plus) on anyone then my hope would be a player in their early 20s not one who is nearly 30. 

Edited by oodledoodle

Nombe to Rotherham hurts me I can't lie. I've been raving about signing him since pre season and to think we would rather put our effort in another player on the wrong side of 30 rather than go for someone who you could sell down the line and potentially make money on him or at the very least break even, makes no sense.

Rotherham.. ffs.

6 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Nombe to Rotherham hurts me I can't lie. I've been raving about signing him since pre season and to think we would rather put our effort in another player on the wrong side of 30 rather than go for someone who you could sell down the line and potentially make money on him or at the very least break even, makes no sense.

Rotherham.. ffs.

Nombe is much younger but he has nowhere near the goal scoring record of Clarke-Harris…

2 hours ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

Clarke-Harris is a no go for me, good striker but 30 years old, why spend all that money on him? You could argue he might get us up, but heavy spending with that same logic is what's got us here in the first place.

There is no plausible situation in which a League 1 club should be spending heavily on a player they have no realistic chance of getting any return on.

Agree, why pay large amounts of money for someone we can’t sell when we actually have a fair few forwards not getting game time 

If we sell Cashin we immediately have to go out and buy a centre half or pay to loan one who has to play every week even if they are rubbish no doubt( assuming there aren’t any free ones lying around at this point) 

we have no guarantees that Forsyth can last the season and Bradley could only manage 16 games last season as well as looking dreadful when he has been selected - we certainly don’t need yet another right wing back who won’t get selected to play

38 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

A fee of 2 million is nothing like the fees of 8-10m we were paying under Morris.

We'd pay 2 million over say 2 seasons. To pay for that, we need to sell 33k tickets, for 2 seasons. It's not an insignificant fee for league one, but for us it's peanuts.

The killer would be wages. 8k a week would be about 832k over 2 years. Again, paid for by selling about 20k tickets a year.

We could pay for CH in a total of 4 games. Assuming no incoming fees from say Cashin are used. It's really not spending money we don't have, but it might be outside our budget, which I'd understand.

That is effectively £30k per week you’re convincing yourself it would be normal for a League 1 team to throw at one player

7 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Cos they don't score 40 goals a season.

Neither does he - Peterborough make a seriously high amount of decent chances as well 

Hopefully we use any Money received to use towards our losses which we are no doubt still incurring