Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Just now, i-Ram said:

Crazy idea only because Warne needs his team to go up this season. If he doesn’t achieve that he will be toast with many fans. He isn’t going to chance a young, raw striker when he thinks Sharp or Rhodes offers him greater certainty of short term gain. 

Not sure there’s any certainty other than those two being old and slow. Anyone who watched us last year, pre-season or Saturday should be able to identify the primary missing attribute was pace. Signing a short, old, slow striker to get after Ward’s crosses seems like the polar opposite of what we need with the budget we have. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure there’s any certainty other than those two being old and slow. Anyone who watched us last year, pre-season or Saturday should be able to identify the primary missing attribute was pace. Signing a short, old, slow striker to get after Ward’s crosses seems like the polar opposite of what we need with the budget we have. 

I don’t disagree, but a short, old, slow striker is almost certainly what we will end up with. Really hope I am wrong.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

I think Brown and Waghorn would do since we don't seem to afford any striker from a high enough shelf to make a difference. Instead we could spend what little we have on that central midfielder we sure will need and have a better shot for promotion. A runner and tackler in cm ought to be the priority as I see it but then again I am not the manager (thank god).  

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Crazy idea only because Warne needs his team to go up this season. If he doesn’t achieve that he will be toast with many fans. He isn’t going to chance a young, raw striker when he thinks Sharp or Rhodes offers him greater certainty of short term gain. 

I also think Warne has painted himself into a corner on getting promoted this year.

He’s signed ready made experienced players. They’re all talking about not messing around and making memories etc.

Then he admits the squad still has the same structural issues as last year.

He might have been cut more slack if he’d brought in some youth and pace and admitted some were a gamble but that he was building the foundations for several seasons of success and growth.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Read it….and. You were bringing up sell on value. My point is we need not worry about it when we are not spending anything on fees plus if they help us get promotion our revenue will increase. No need for this fixation on sell on value in our current position.

My point was there’s no guarantee we will go up with all the older players. I actually think we will btw.

And we’re running out of assets to sell to pay the wages of all these older players.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Which is what I was dreading. I should have left it unsaid 

No you shouldnt. Thanks for sharing it. I assume most of us took it in the spirit meant and that is what this thread is about after all! I didnt doubt we would be looking at more dynamic players and loan targets but loans must be difficult when there are so often conditions re squad selection attached and probably harder to assess than players featuring in senior squads. 🤞

48 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Is prioritising short term gain by giving over the hill players contracts rather than putting some faith in young talent not part of what put us here in the first place? Yet when we finally had our hand forced into playing said young talent they performed above what anyone could’ve asked or expected of them. I’d argue there’s equally as much if not more risk in giving a deal to a 37 year old Billy Sharp who scored two goals last season, hasn’t had a preseason and at that age may not even be able to find the fitness to play regularly without frequent injury, and makes he absolutely no sense when what we’re lacking is some pace and energy, he’s the opposite of what we need. At least Brown will be able to provide some energy up top, and how are we ever meant to know if these youngsters are good enough if they don’t get game time? 

2 minutes ago, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Is prioritising short term gain by giving over the hill players contracts rather than putting some faith in young talent not part of what put us here in the first place? Yet when we finally had our hand forced into playing said young talent they performed above what anyone could’ve asked or expected of them. I’d argue there’s equally as much if not more risk in giving a deal to a 37 year old Billy Sharp who scored two goals last season, hasn’t had a preseason and at that age may not even be able to find the fitness to play regularly without frequent injury, and makes he absolutely no sense when what we’re lacking is some pace and energy, he’s the opposite of what we need. At least Brown will be able to provide some energy up top, and how are we ever meant to know if these youngsters are good enough if they don’t get game time? 

I’m not arguing with any of that, but I am far from certain that Paul Warne sees it the same way.

l still think, but happy to be proven wrong, that Clowes made a mistake hiring Warne. I do think Rosenior would have given more opportunities to playing and progressing youth, and formulating a strategy that links the academy to the first team. I also think where we were at the time he would have been the better of the two options to get us up in two seasons, and that we would have been in the playoffs last season if he had stayed in charge. It was a very strange decision to change managers after the work he had done in the summer - in my view.

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I’m not arguing with any of that, but I am far from certain that Paul Warne sees it the same way.

l still think, but happy to be proven wrong, that Clowes made a mistake hiring Warne. I do think Rosenior would have given more opportunities to playing and progressing youth, and formulating a strategy that links the academy to the first team. I also think where we were at the time he would have been the better of the two options to get us up in two seasons, and that we would have been in the playoffs last season if he had stayed in charge. It was a very strange decision to change managers after the work he had done in the summer - in my view.

At the very least, it was a mistake hiring him in the way we did - letting Rosenior pick a squad then doing a complete 180 on it after 10 games.  Warne from day one with a near clean slate, would *maybe* have been a different prospect.

A nice fun little game - of all the players we signed in that first post-admin window, which ones do we think Warne would have signed if he were manager at the time? Is it any of them at all?

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I think this season will be crucial. I was happy to accept Warne's ethos that the team needed more athleticism and fitness etc. I was happy to accept we might benefit from being more direct at times. I also thought Warne might have a decent understanding of the lower league market and an eye for an unexpected gem. But I've been a bit puzzled by our transfers this summer - the fact we've massively prioritised the defence and wing back positions (at the expense of a glaringly deficient midfield and attack), and the fact we haven't added that much youth, pace or athleticism. I don't quite see how the squad we have is going to 'Warne' it's way to promotion. Hope I'm wrong. 

9 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I also think Warne has painted himself into a corner on getting promoted this year.

He’s signed ready made experienced players. They’re all talking about not messing around and making memories etc.

Then he admits the squad still has the same structural issues as last year.

He might have been cut more slack if he’d brought in some youth and pace and admitted some were a gamble but that he was building the foundations for several seasons of success and growth.

We have known for a long time , we needed a goalscorer and a tackler. I think  Warne had the idea we would keep a clean sheet in the majority of games so that we didn’t need many goals. But Sonny Bradley really worries me from what I have seen in the last 2 games.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

We have known for a long time , we needed a goalscorer and a tackler. I think  Warne had the idea we would keep a clean sheet in the majority of games so that we didn’t need many goals. But Sonny Bradley really worries me from what I have seen in the last 2 games.

If we actually played our defenders as defenders, in a defensive unit, they would.

...but we play them pretty much as midfielders, place them at least 15-20 yards away from each other at all times and tell them to go off doing their own thing, wandering into the opposition's box, deserting each other. Sometimes we leave them with an actual midfielder for company, sometimes that midfielder will be off on his own little adventure so they're left totally isolated.

We've put some good defenders together but play them in a way that directly stops them building any chemistry with each other.

It's utterly insane.

Edited by Kokosnuss

24 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

If we actually played our defenders as defenders, in a defensive unit, they would.

...but we play them pretty much as midfielders, place them at least 15-20 yards away from each other at all times and tell them to go off doing their own thing, wandering into the opposition's box, deserting each other. Sometimes we leave them with an actual midfielder for company, sometimes that midfielder will be off on his own little adventure so they're left totally isolated.

We've put some good defenders together but play them in a way that directly stops them building any chemistry with each other.

It's utterly insane.

It's utterly Warneball my friend. Get on board!

Edited by i-Ram

18 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I don’t often agree with your negativity but in this regard I do. 

There’s no guarantees we will go up no matter who we sign. But almost every signing in the last 3 windows has been old players with no sell on value. 

Would much rather have gone for the younger players that were free like Bernard and Smith etc. even if we didn’t go up or work out they would still have value for a nominal sale. If they did do well they could be worth millions.

Hopefully this is the last window we will need to get free old has beens in to make up a team

sorry if i often get on peoples nerves i do love a rant i must admit, i am just frustrated in the direction the club is going. I hope it is genuinely to do with constraints in the market and not the overall vision because in my opinion we are going down the wrong path

14 minutes ago, alram said:

sorry if i often get on peoples nerves i do love a rant i must admit, i am just frustrated in the direction the club is going. I hope it is genuinely to do with constraints in the market and not the overall vision because in my opinion we are going down the wrong path

I don't know what path you want to go down but the right path is to not spend more than we are getting in and have to go through what we all have endured these last three years.

17 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

I don't know what path you want to go down but the right path is to not spend more than we are getting in and have to go through what we all have endured these last three years.

i have said several times, younger players with an upward growth path - not high wage older players with a downwards trajectory

i am not saying we should spend more money i am saying we should spend what we are currently spending wiser and build a squad that will take us forward properly so we arent in this exact same situation every summer

every year we do what we have done this summer and last summer we will have to rebuild the entire squad, its a fact we are not building anything we are just putting a team together until they run out of legs

Edited by alram