Summer Rumour Mill

sage

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Would’ve preferred Sam Smith or Knibbs over Waghorn and I doubt they was asking the world.

Have to respectfully disagree with your laid back attitude towards this season. Last season was the free hit IMO.

Sam Smith used to play for Reading did he not before he moved to Cambridge.

Everyone seems to be obsessing about Waghorn having previous with our club as a bonus so to be consistent could be the reason why Smith went back to Reading. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Sam Smith used to play for Reading did he not before he moved to Cambridge.

Everyone seems to be obsessing about Waghorn having previous with our club as a bonus so to be consistent could be the reason why Smith went back to Reading. 

Very true but he’s just one of many strikers who I’d rather us have gone for. I don’t hate Waghorn as a fourth choice in fact I welcome him with open arms. But not as third choice.

4 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Very true but he’s just one of many strikers who I’d rather us have gone for. I don’t hate Waghorn as a fourth choice in fact I welcome him with open arms. But not as third choice.

Hear what you're saying but look at Man Utd for example, a budget which eclipses ours, wages no issue, world and their uncle knew they didn't have a recognised striker at the club at the end of last season yet its nearly August and all they've brought in is a midfielder and a goalie?

It's not just us you know. 

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

To be fair, neither of us have any idea what Reading offered in wages. Knibbs is a winger not a striker, and I can't believe we wouldn't have tried for Smith if he was a viable option. I would guess that Reading offered more than we were willing/able to pay, but like I said I have no idea what they offered. 

I'm not saying this season is a free hit. We have a good team capable of getting up. The fact is we're still under increased EFL scrutiny and a business plan (albeit a more relaxed one). It's just realism.

If funds are that tight then maybe it would’ve been better practice to have not signed either Vickers or Nelson and allocated their wages to a striker instead?

7 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

If funds are that tight then maybe it would’ve been better practice to have not signed either Vickers or Nelson and allocated their wages to a striker instead?

We needed to sign centre halves, we pretty much didn't have a choice to sign Nelson and still in an ideal world are one off on centre halves. Vickers maybe, but it's difficult to know really how much a backup keeper would be getting paid. 

9 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Fair point more with Vickers than Nelson though as the latter is likely a first choice whereas Vickers might not be. However, we have no idea how much Vickers is on & may not have made much impact on the overall budget.

Waggy may well be a 4th choice option upfront which Warne has mentioned he would like ideally.

We could still maybe bring someone like Rhodes in too. A front 4 of Collins, Washington, Rhodes & Waggy is pretty decent imo for League 1.

I still think Warne is down playing the budget slightly, I can see maybe 2 permanents and at least 2 loans (2x fwd, 1x lwb & 1x 10) in not including any potential replacements for further outgoings.

34 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Waggy may well be a 4th choice option upfront which Warne has mentioned he would like ideally.

We could still maybe bring someone like Rhodes in too. A front 4 of Collins, Washington, Rhodes & Waggy is pretty decent imo for League 1.

I still think Warne is down playing the budget slightly, I can see maybe 2 permanents and at least 2 loans (2x fwd, 1x lwb & 1x 10) in not including any potential replacements for further outgoings.

It honestly isn't.  A centre back will always choose strength over pace when it comes to a striker.  It's pace that bothers them, especially the further you go down the leagues.  A Saunders is always better than a Harford. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It honestly isn't.  A centre back will always choose strength over pace when it comes to a striker.  It's pace that bothers them, especially the further you go down the leagues.  A Saunders is always better than a Harford. 

Washington apparently has some pace & runs in behind so is slightly different to the other options

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Hear what you're saying but look at Man Utd for example, a budget which eclipses ours, wages no issue, world and their uncle knew they didn't have a recognised striker at the club at the end of last season yet its nearly August and all they've brought in is a midfielder and a goalie?

It's not just us you know. 

Good point. 

But I’d say the pool of players that Man Utd have to improve them is smaller than ours. Plus aren’t they close to signing that youngster from Atalanta? Don’t know much about him but still quite an exciting signing for them IMO. 

Waggy for us, not so.

Waghorn would be a good option (not that he did anything against Stoke, assume he’s not up to fitness) as a back up. Warne says we want a ST and a 10, Waghorn can play all those roles. Perhaps gives Brown chance to go on loan. 

But we still need another striker regardless. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

IMHO Collins, Washington and potentially Waghorn are all capable of scoring 15 goals in league one this season with good service.  Assuming Waghorn signs, I hope we're still in the market for a good AMC and WB, with the signings we've already made we should be producing a lot of chances.

How many would a good striker score?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

We needed to sign centre halves, we pretty much didn't have a choice to sign Nelson and still in an ideal world are one off on centre halves. Vickers maybe, but it's difficult to know really how much a backup keeper would be getting paid. 

I like Nelson as a signing but if the choice is Fozzy as first choice and a decent forward or Nelson and Waggy as one of three I know which way I’m choosing.