Summer Rumour Mill

sage

40 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Perhaps “entitled” was strong on my part.
I’ve quoted the above points from your post from this morning, you say you’re asking if what he said in his interview was the truth or not. Earlier today I provided the quote from the interview in which Clowes stated he had set Paul Warne a budget that he (Clowes) believes is a good budget to get promotion from this league, he also added a caveat that there are no guarantees. So what potential mis-truth are you suggesting he’s said? I don’t get it. There’s nothing in what he said that’s potentially a lie, one part of it is a statement (he’s set a budget) the other part is his opinion (he thinks it’s a budget for promotion). He didn’t say “the budget is x amount” and now we’ve found out it’s not that. He didn’t say “we’ll spend hundreds of thousands on fees”. He didn’t say “we’ll spend any money raised from player sales in new transfer fees”.
Warne has in subsequent interviews explained that there is room left in the budget to sign players, and he thinks he’ll get better value by using the room left in the budget on wages rather than transfer fees. 
It is disappointing that we’re not signing players for fees, I’d love it if we’d taken a punt on Lee Bonis even though I haven’t seen him play, just that idea of buying a rough diamond and potentially turning a profit on him would be great…but the situation we’re still in as a club appears to be one of sensible restraint, either through choice or due to the business plan.
From what’s been said it seems clear to me  there is an allocated pot of money that is to be used to strengthen the squad, that pot can likely be used for transfer fees, agent fees, signing on fees, and wages. Warne and Pearce and the recruitment bloke have to work out how to get the best value from the pot of money and they’re choosing what they think is best. 
The bit I interpreted as you saying fans are entitled to know is where you said it would be nice for them to tell us what the money is being spent on. We’ll get info from supporters group forums, the accounts will show the figures when they’re released, Warne has seemingly been open and transparent in his recent interviews about the budgets…we get to know a fair bit I think. What we don’t know is how much we’ve paid out in wages to secure some of the new players, perhaps we’ve offered them good terms to secure them?

At the end of the day it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, I personally didn’t agree with your questioning the honesty of Clowes based on that interview as I don’t see where the lie is so tried to express that.

Fair response and well put back to me. I probably therefore interpreted his interviews in a different way to how I should have done, or maybe how many other fans may have done. Apologies for that as the word Lie is probably well out of order looking back.

Yes - like you, a Bonis type character would have been super - for the very reason you said - we could find a diamond (as Peterborough have done so many times over the years!) and got great value from him.

Anyway - we still have 2.5 Weeks until the opener. I'm still very concerned on where the goals will come from (I don't buy anything into pre-season games) once the games become competitive but this is still clearly documented by Warne that he wants at least 2 more attacking players. Lets hope that diamond is still there somewhere.

9 hours ago, rammieib said:

Anyway - we still have 2.5 Weeks until the opener. I'm still very concerned on where the goals will come from (I don't buy anything into pre-season games) once the games become competitive but this is still clearly documented by Warne that he wants at least 2 more attacking players. Lets hope that diamond is still there somewhere.

Actually only 11 days. PANIC STATIONS!!!!

34 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I’ve heard the mood around the group is one of the best ever. 

This will be key for us to be successful. 

We could be in for a very exciting season. 

Do we have a behind closed doors game today or something, Warne mentioned if he could keep the old lads (Waghorn and Johnson my guess) till after Tuesday it would be great. 

18 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Do we have a behind closed doors game today or something, Warne mentioned if he could keep the old lads (Waghorn and Johnson my guess) till after Tuesday it would be great. 

Think it’s meant to be a Derby v Derby game, which would make sense to keep the old players so that two teams of 11 could be fielded

2 hours ago, BuckoBeast said:

Honestly don’t get the negativity. Risk free isn’t it? 

Totally agree. The negativity comes when people think that's all we are going to get. I'm still confident there will be several more signings - maybe 2 permanent and 2 loans in addition to Waghorn if we offer him a contract. Get Waghorn fully fit and he is a good third division player no question in my mind   

1 minute ago, Gerry Daly said:

Totally agree. The negativity comes when people think that's all we are going to get. I'm still confident there will be several more signings - maybe 2 permanent and 2 loans in addition to Waghorn if we offer him a contract. Get Waghorn fully fit and he is a good third division player no question in my mind   

Yes I don’t get it at all. Obviously not going to be first choice. We need some bodies in. They are working on their main targets 

12 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Waggy could get 10+ goals this season and that’s coming off the bench. 

11 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Yes I don’t get it at all. Obviously not going to be first choice. We need some bodies in. They are working on their main targets 

If it was a choice between Waggy and Washington I know who I would pick 😊

16 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

If we assess our likely starting line up, the back 5, including wing backs, pretty much pick themselves.

We will either go 5-2-3 or thereabouts for home games with 2 from Bird, Hourihane and Smith (all three for away games.

That leaves 2/3 upfront from NML, Collins, Washington and Barkhuisen 

Any new forward will surely push one of those listed out of the door.

Edited by Anag Ram
Error

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

If we assess our likely starting line up, the back 5, including wing backs, pretty much pick themselves.

We will either go 5-2-3 or thereabouts for home games with 2 from Bird, Hourihane and Smith (all three for away games.

That leaves 2/3 upfront from NML, Collins, Washington, Barkhuisen and possibly Gordon.

Any new forward will surely push one of those listed out of the door.

What about Sibley?