Summer Rumour Mill

sage

26 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We need to remember we are the biggest club in the league with potentially the biggeat budget therefore most agents are going to put our name in the mix to get better deals for their players.

I think the players we're actually close to bringing in, their agents will keep their mouths shut as unless a Champ club is in the mix we're probably the best club for their player

In the worst league DCFC have ever been in .Do we buy players just to get out of it ? Or ones that can improve and play at mid- table Championship , where we hope to be in 4 years time ?

4 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

I think Clowes is a businessman.  He bought the club with his heart, but he will run it with his brain.

All spending needs to be worth it and balanced.  I don't see him wanting to make cash injections.  I suspect DC wants the club to break even on it's own regard - leaving him with an asset (club and ground), that should we get a promotion will increase in value.  

easier said than done

he wont make money on the club until its in the championship and when its in the championship he will have to write out a cheque every month to cover the losses.

you cant really run a championship club with your brain unless you want to become a yoyo club between league one and the championship which i am sure none of us do including clowes.

Just now, alram said:

easier said than done

he wont make money on the club until its in the championship and when its in the championship he will have to write out a cheque every month to cover the losses.

you cant really run a championship club with your brain unless you want to become a yoyo club between league one and the championship which i am sure none of us do including clowes.

He won't make money on the club unless it becomes a Premiership club.  The difficulty is doing that is you have two options: slow, steady and hope for bit of luck or bet the farm. The latter is easier, but we have seen the risks of missing out.  

I agree that Championship is an awful league financially.  I don't see Clowes as wanting to sell now he has paid over the odds (to avoid the issues of not).  A long term strategy is what is needed - but one that is sustainable.  I think we are at the very grassroots of that strategy. 

6 minutes ago, alram said:

easier said than done

If we get to the championship you might find clowes look for outside investment for a percentage of the club as the average wage bill must be at least 10 million to 20 million a season and how on earth you make money on that will be non existent. 

3 hours ago, ram59 said:

I do wonder whether Rooney had any influence on some of last summer's signings, I would imagine that a number of the signings were lined up before he decided to leave the club.

Certainly Morrision to DC United and some backroom staff before he buggered off after his all want to stay speech. 

41 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

If we get to the championship you might find clowes look for outside investment for a percentage of the club as the average wage bill must be at least 10 million to 20 million a season and how on earth you make money on that will be non existent. 

That could help. The biggest problem in the Championship is competing with 4-7 teams on “Parachute “money. The EFL want change and the Prem say No. Any levelling up would help . But we must always be thankful to D.C for saving us.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

In the worst league DCFC have ever been in .Do we buy players just to get out of it ? Or ones that can improve and play at mid- table Championship , where we hope to be in 4 years time ?

Ideally we’ll sign (and retain) some players capable of both, a squad of players who can win promotion this coming season, carry some momentum into the championship the season after that and be further strengthened next summer so we stay up first time. 

My own advice to the club would be not to overthink it too much. Get players who can get us out of the division, don’t bog yourself down with contracts so you give yourself freedom. 

We buy or loan players to get us out of this league and I would think that nearly all of us would be hoping to be either in or at the very least challenging for the Premier, in 4 years time. 

On that basis, it will be extremely difficult to identify and buy players capable of playing in the Premier, with our existing financial difficulties.

So, I think that promotion needs to be achieved even if it's through short term planning, using loans, then once promotion is gained and with the extra finances and combined with the return to normal business practices, we can then plan with a more long term approach.

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

I do wonder whether Rooney had any influence on some of last summer's signings, I would imagine that a number of the signings were lined up before he decided to leave the club.

It was all Rosenoir in terms of persuading them to sign. 

15 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Would Ben house or Sam nombe be good signings?

A quick look into their stats shows they both scored goals in league one last season for teams that are arguably worse than ours (House got 12 for Lincoln and Nombe scored 15 and assisted 8 for Exeter), both are a good age and fit the profile in terms of age we allegedly want, I’d say they could well be. Provided they fit what Warne wants from any potential additions. 

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

Would Ben house or Sam nombe be good signings?

Looks a good player when I've seen him against us and moves around the front and can drop off.  Someone that comes to mind as an addition to a 20 goal a season player as he's probably got half that many goals a season in him . Think he's under contract though.