Summer Rumour Mill

sage

11 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Pete O’Rourke does seem to get a lot right

IMG_1229.jpeg

Surprised by the links to us and championship if I’m honest. Am I the only one who would underwhelmed by this. 6 goals and 5 assists although I know a struggling side but may had 20 even his strike partner smith had 14 

45 minutes ago, enachops said:

Smith would be a decent option. 14 goals last year, Cambridge’s top scorer in a struggling side. 25 years old. On a free and low wages.

13 league goals, 3 of which were against 10-man Burton at the start of the season when they were in freefall under JFH.

Had a run of scoring in 6 consecutive games toward the end but had only scored in 5 of their 43 (league & cup) games before that point.

Cambridge were a struggling side, but they still managed to provide him with 131 shots (league) for those 13 goals meaning on average it took him over 10 shots to score a goal - perhaps that's why they were struggling!

(for reference, McGoldrick got 22 from 117 shots, Collins 11 from 81)

Not a single goal from outside the box and 1 assist all season.

It's a no thanks from me. We've just had a season of watching the profligacy of lower league forwards letting us off the hook, the answer is not to go and sign the biggest wasters of chances!

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Am I the only one who would underwhelmed by this. 6 goals and 5 assists although I know a struggling side but may had 20 even his strike partner smith had 14 

1. He's not really been played as a striker.

2. See the other thread in the Transfer section - seems  he can also play no. 10, possibly.

3. See the above post on Smith - Knibbs' assist numbers may well be skewed toward the lower end because the player he's supplying the ball to is so wasteful.

Edited by Kokosnuss

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Surprised by the links to us and championship if I’m honest. Am I the only one who would underwhelmed by this. 6 goals and 5 assists although I know a struggling side but may had 20 even his strike partner smith had 14 

And here lies the problem with reading a couple of numbers off the internet. 

To be fair the strikers linked with us have all been suggested by us fans as soon as the season finished. 

We're obviously competing in a certain pool for players. Can't see Warne having the contacts to bring in some unknown wonderkid from PL clubs, so strikers around bottom end champ, L1 and higher L2 and NL will be our targets.

Makes sense to go for proven talent in our league and champ, but I hope we pick up the odd player from Scottish, Irish and scandi leagues- no reason why not now we have fresh recruitment personnel. I suppose the point is, its not just on Warne or his contacts, and we don't know the full extent of their strategy or scouting reach. It's intriguing!

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Makes sense to go for proven talent in our league and champ, but I hope we pick up the odd player from Scottish, Irish and scandi leagues- no reason why not now we have fresh recruitment personnel. I suppose the point is, it’s not just on Warne or his contacts, and we don't know the full extent of their strategy or scouting reach. It's intriguing!

Not done super in depth research but I’m pretty sure Oxford picked up a few from Ireland in the tenure of our new head of recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Makes sense to go for proven talent in our league and champ, but I hope we pick up the odd player from Scottish, Irish and scandi leagues- no reason why not now we have fresh recruitment personnel. I suppose the point is, its not just on Warne or his contacts, and we don't know the full extent of their strategy or scouting reach. It's intriguing!

If we were to look at the Irish league, Neil Farrugia would be a perfect Paul Warne player, plays left wing back or right wing back, very good going forward and defensively, is a great dribbler and creates lots of chances from out wide. Is a great athlete aswell at 6 foot 1 and has recently been called up to an Irish training camp hosted last week. 

15 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Out of all the strikers linked I’m surprised no one is seriously looking at Sam nimble from Exeter. 17 goals and 9 assists and they finished below mid table. Only 24 so in the age bracket and only has a year left 

17 goals from 90 shots (5.29 shots per goal) is about as clinical as you're likely to get at this level, 3 of the goals were from outside of the box so he's possibly not just a poacher and you don't get 9 assists by accident 

Seems odd then that his passing accuracy (57.6%) is so low, so not entirely sure what his deal is... other than there being another year on it!

Edited by Kokosnuss