Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

On 03/08/2023 at 09:36, sage said:

It's not criticism, it's concern. I'll explain.

Last season Warne said our squad is 3 players short. We are currently 3 players below that figure. So 6 less than he stated he wanted last year. Bringing Tommo in to play up front when a goal down at home, because we only have 1 attacking sub

Last year Warne bemoaned having too many players 30 and over. Half of our signings are 30 or over. WE have signed one player under 27. And we place a high tempo game with old players

We are 3 days away from our first game and we have 2 CFs, one of which has only had 1 week of training following an injury.Again playing one up front for 75 mins then having Tommo as a 10 ffs

Our 3 of our 4 young players have been sold, under offer or injured. None of the 3 we have left have signed another contract.

We have a game plan that requires a high press but contains little pace in a backline leaving us stretched in CM where we have only slightly more pace. Only Washington and Nelson have increased pace in the starting XI, something which Warne wanted.

Outpaced today with simple balls over the top killing us  

The statement after the Sheff Wednesday defeat implied we would have a bigger budget this year, this isn't apparent in reality. The ruling about Jozwiak appears to have swallowed the Knight fee, when we thought those debts were cleared.

None of this is a criticism, just legitimate concerns. We are all grateful for Clowes rescuing the club and don't expect or want MM levels of spending, but we currently have the smallest squad of the promotion contenders despite having the biggest 22/23 attendance by miles, 45% higher than our nearest rival. 

These concerns won't stop us buying match or season tickets or cheering our lads on at games, but they are concerns nonetheless.

As i said, concerns 

55 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Tommo looked better in 10 minutes than Smith did all game, that's a concern (ps Tommo is not a cdm or a little terrier).

He isn't a 10.

Should have brought Rooney on at CB and pushed Bradley up front for the last 10 mins.  

With Warne saying he see's Waghorn more of a 10, he has previously said he wanted a 10 & 2 forwards, so maybe we could still end up bringing in Waghorn (free), Rhodes (free) & Smith (loan) as well as a centre mid & LWB potentially both loans too.

That would then give us quite a few options going forward.

In the 10 role, whether its 1 or 2 10s we would have the following capable of playing there - 

Waghorn NML Sibley Barkhuizen Bird Washington + a new CM may be able to play in the 10 too.

Then upfront, again whether in a 1 or 2 we would have the following - 

Smith Rhodes Washington Collins Waghorn Barkhuizen NML

That would be 9 for 3 positions, obviously Bird could then be in the CMs if he stays. Gives the option to go 3 up top too with wingers with NML, Barkhuizen, Sibley, Waghorn, Washington & Ward all capable of playing wide.

When Warne said he didnt have a Waggy in his budget originally I think Waggy is an extra on top of the others he originally wanted, maybe Clowes has allowed for the extra unexpected player.

You would get the aerial threat of Smith, clinical finisher in Rhodes, workhorses in Collins & Waggy then pace from Washington, Barkhuizen & NML. Not too bad a variety, better than majority of other strike forces in the league imo.

7 hours ago, valakari said:

Disagree...think Thommo is gifted, great 1st touch, good close control..

Totally underused, and personally, i would play him

But would does he do? What is the end product? All the passes are safe. 

On 04/08/2023 at 14:28, Big Trav said:

My ideal transfer window from now would be:

LWB - George Cox (was on trail at Hull)

CM - Tom Davies (training at Bristol Rovers, completely unrealistic but you never know hahah) 

10 - Jamie McGrath (Ireland international, and did well in Scotland) 

9 - Assombolonga (wages might be too high) 

9 - Benik afobe ( Again wages might be too high) 

Backup - Waggy 

I mentioned Cox a couple of weeks ago, definitely the right age bracket and looks a good fit for a lwb role to compete with Elder. His trial at Hull didn’t work out and quick look around on Twitter suggests he’s going to yesterday’s opponents which further strengthens them 😞 

Yesterday further highlighted the need for additional recruitment, seems Waggy is a done deal which gives us depth in the forward positions, but we definitely need more. I’d like to see the club try and get Cox ahead of Wigan, add a midfielder (or 2) and another forward option. Plenty calling for pace but not sure who to suggest as that option, a prem youngster on loan? But who, I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Looking at championship for options from looking at yesterday’s team selections 

Blackburn- Ennis just signed but didn’t come on / Jake Garrett CM 20 years old 

West Brom - Alex Morratt - CM started on the bench

Andy King - Bristol city 

Josh coburn - Middlesbrough bench didn’t come on 

Ryan Leonard and Tom Bradshaw- millwall  - came on but 90 mins 

Aidomo Emakhu- young fast striker - millwall 

adam Idah Norwich - came on at 90 and scored but didn’t start 

Joshua Kayode - Rotherham young powerful striker 

Josh Ginnelly- CAM - Swansea on bench didn’t come on 12 goals on loan at hearts last year 

18 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Andy King - Bristol city 

Josh Ginnelly- CAM - Swansea on bench didn’t come on 12 goals on loan at hearts last year 

Tom Bradshaw is not going to drop to League 1, ridiculous suggestion 🙄

8 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

They aren't going to loan out someone they just signed for their first team. Garrett will also be a sqaud player for then this season.

Massive wages. Not going to be loaned out as will be a squad player

Andy King - Bristol city 

Crap 

Potentially if Boro sign another forward. Isn't fit enough to play yet, Following an injury - surprised inclusion by Carrick, maybe to make a point to the board?

Leonard's crap and Bradshaw won't drop to L1. Both will be part of Millwall's squad this season 

Looks like he'll be part of their first team this season

Will be part of their squad this season

Mason Bennett has more end product

He was on a permanent deal at Hearts which expired in the sumner. Swansea signed him for their first team.

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They aren't going to loan out someone they just signed for their first team. Garrett will also be a sqaud player for then this season.

Massive wages. Not going to be loaned out as will be a squad player

Crap 

Potentially if Boro sign another forward. Isn't fit enough to play yet, Following an injury - surprised inclusion by Carrick, maybe to make a point to the board?

Leonard's crap and Bradshaw won't drop to L1. Both will be part of Millwall's squad this season 

Looks like he'll be part of their first team this season

Will be part of their squad this season

Mason Bennett has more end product

He was on a permanent deal at Hearts which expired in the sumner. Swansea signed him for their first team.

"Hello, police? Yes, I've just witnessed a murder..."

8 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Scott Hogan, and Lukas Jutkiewicz both available from Blues according to Nixon. I’d have them over Sharp and Waghorn. Also says Alex Pritchard might be available from Sunderland. A good No 10 in league 1. 

Scott Hogan started yesterday and Jutkiewicz came on for him.

So unless Nixon knows something, which is unlikely, doesn't look like they are available.

Pritchard came on today too. Mowbray said he's planning on rotating them..

I'd have all of them here in a heartbeat but I can't see it

It looks like Hogan started and Jutkiewicz came off the bench. Cosgrove might be a shout, he didn't play for Birmingham yesterday. 26 years old, played 33 times for promoted Plymouth Argyle last season and got 8 goals. Was highly rated at Aberdeen from what I remember? 6 foot 4 Target man, competition for Collins/last 10 mins when we need a goal and the teams pumping in crosses.

9 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Scott Hogan, and Lukas Jutkiewicz both available from Blues according to Nixon. I’d have them over Sharp and Waghorn. Also says Alex Pritchard might be available from Sunderland. A good No 10 in league 1.