Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

11 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So my issue isn’t that I’m sulking about May but I’m worried about squad depth and our apparent one dimensional approach to recruitment.

But next season we're free of the business plan and hopefully in the Championship (may as well say it as that's the aim), do we want to have a squad full of players we don't want at that level? 😉

36 minutes ago, sage said:

None of his permanent signings have played a competitive match for Derby yet, so that is a ridiculous argument.

Yet again we are going down the strawman route. Being disappointed we can't spend £300k on a player after bringing in £2-3m in fees isn't espousing £6m on Bradley Johnson.

I'm tired of anything other than fawn eyed adulation being treated as treason or heresy.

Haven't you just proven the point right there though?

We're all disappointed we can't spend any money. Yet that is being levelled at Warne, but it's not his fault at all. I'm sure he'd love to spend money!

7 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Exactly, so why all the criticism. It’s not adulation, it is realism of the situation we have been (are) in.

It's not criticism, it's concern. I'll explain.

Last season Warne said our squad is 3 players short. We are currently 3 players below that figure. So 6 less than he stated he wanted last year. 

Last year Warne bemoaned having too many players 30 and over. Half of our signings are 30 or over. WE have signed one player under 27.

We are 3 days away from our first game and we have 2 CFs, one of which has only had 1 week of training following an injury.

Our 3 of our 4 young players have been sold, under offer or injured. None of the 3 we have left have signed another contract.

We have a game plan that requires a high press but contains little pace in a backline leaving us stretched in CM where we have only slightly more pace. Only Washington and Nelson have increased pace in the starting XI, something which Warne wanted.

The statement after the Sheff Wednesday defeat implied we would have a bigger budget this year, this isn't apparent in reality. The ruling about Jozwiak appears to have swallowed the Knight fee, when we thought those debts were cleared.

None of this is a criticism, just legitimate concerns. We are all grateful for Clowes rescuing the club and don't expect or want MM levels of spending, but we currently have the smallest squad of the promotion contenders despite having the biggest 22/23 attendance by miles, 45% higher than our nearest rival. 

These concerns won't stop us buying match or season tickets or cheering our lads on at games, but they are concerns nonetheless.

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

We're all disappointed we can't spend any money. Yet that is being levelled at Warne, but it's not his fault at all. I'm sure he'd love to spend money!

How is that post levelled at Warne? 

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

This. I’ve yet to see anything from the summer that qualifies as relevant or justifiable criticism of Warne himself. If he does something worth criticising I’d get on board with that.
So far he’s managed the limited budget he has in a way he thinks best suits the squad he wants to build, that’s his job, supported by the recruitment staff. The criticism or praise surely comes once we’ve seen them play?

McGoldrick left for his own reasons, he and Warne have said we tried to convince him to stay. What more could Warne have done?

The comments about restrictions being lifted came from local media, Warne has consistently played down the budget all summer, either genuinely or through brinkmanship of some sort. Clowes made a comment he believes our budget is competitive and that led to loose accusations that he’d somehow lied to the squad.

What is there so far this summer to be genuinely critical of the club or Warne about? Not signing a handful of younger free agent options that went elsewhere? 

It’s not fawn eyed adulation as sage put it, it’s looking forward to another season with acceptance of what we’ve got available currently.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This. I’ve yet to see anything from the summer that qualifies as relevant or justifiable criticism of Warne himself. If he does something worth criticising I’d get on board with that.
So far he’s managed the limited budget he has in a way he thinks best suits the squad he wants to build, that’s his job, supported by the recruitment staff. The criticism or praise surely comes once we’ve seen them play?

McGoldrick left for his own reasons, he and Warne have said we tried to convince him to stay. What more could Warne have done?

The comments about restrictions being lifted came from local media, Warne has consistently played down the budget all summer, either genuinely or through brinkmanship of some sort. Clowes made a comment he believes our budget is competitive and that led to loose accusations that he’d somehow lied to the squad.

What is there so far this summer to be genuinely critical of the club or Warne about? Not signing a handful of younger free agent options that went elsewhere? 

It’s not fawn eyed adulation as sage put it, it’s looking forward to another season with acceptance of what we’ve got available currently.

ffs

Where have I criticised Warne? I have concerns at squad size, age and lack of options up front.

The only Warne concern i have is one tactical issue. If we can't talk about that then why have a forum. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Last season Warne said our squad is 3 players short. We are currently 3 players below that figure. So 6 less than he stated he wanted last year. 

Last year Warne bemoaned having too many players 30 and over. Half of our signings are 30 or over. WE have signed one player under 27.

We are 3 days away from our first game and we have 2 CFs, one of which has only had 1 week of training following an injury.

Our 3 of our 4 young players have been sold, under offer or injured. None of the 3 we have left have signed another contract.

We have a game plan that requires a high press but contains little pace in a backline leaving us stretched in CM where we have only slightly more pace. Only Washington and Nelson have increased pace in the starting XI, something which Warne wanted.

The statement after the Sheff Wednesday defeat implied we would have a bigger budget this year, this isn't apparent in reality. The ruling about Jozwiak appears to have swallowed the Knight fee, when we thought those debts were cleared.

None of this is a criticism, just legitimate concerns. We are all grateful for Clowes rescuing the club and don't expect or want MM levels of spending, but we currently have the smallest squad of the promotion contenders despite having the biggest 22/23 attendance by miles, 45% higher than our nearest rival. 

These concerns won't stop us buying match or season tickets or cheering our lads on at games, but they are concerns nonetheless.

I'd agree with a fair bit of that, but I'd just add that until this window does indeed shut, it's hard to fully criticise or praise either way. If we were to sign 3 pacey, younger players it would put an entirely different spin on things. As it is, I think the recruitment has been decent, but there's no doubt that without a good end to the window then we are a bit short. Looking at pure squad numbers isn't great either, we had players like Stearman and Chester who were basically husks of former players included. We've replaced those with players who can actually be used.

I also think the transfer market has been much quieter than anyone anticipated, and Warne himself has said that. This seems to have caught us out a little bit and where you'd usually only get a few teams in on a player who's going free, suddenly half the league and the league above is too because no one is spending money.

What I disagree with is anything to do with sales and budget being labelled towards Warne. Not his fault, he deals with what he's given.

And the reason you're being accused of criticising Warne is because you're saying that within the post you made earlier that the first part of it is independent of the "fawn-eyed" remark made at the bottom, but that isn't how it reads.

Edited by Srg

9 minutes ago, sage said:

That’s all well reasoned and I get some of those concerns. My own choice is to accept that work is ongoing to address some of those areas and I’m not going to let those things spoil my excitement for the season…yet

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'd agree with a fair bit of that, but I'd just add that until this window does indeed shut, it's hard to fully criticise or praise either way. If we were to sign 3 pacey, younger players it would put an entirely different spin on things. As it is, I think the recruitment has been decent, but there's no doubt that without a good end to the window then we are a bit short. Looking at pure squad numbers isn't great either, we had players like Stearman and Chester who were basically husks of former players included. We've replaced those with players who can actually be used.

I also think the transfer market has been much quieter than anyone anticipated, and Warne himself has said that. This seems to have caught us out a little bit and where you'd usually only get a few teams in on a player who's going free, suddenly half the league and the league above is too because no one is spending money.

What I disagree with is anything to do with sales and budget being labelled towards Warne. Not his fault, he deals with what he's given.

And the reason you're being accused of criticising Warne is because you're saying that within the post you made earlier that the first part of it is independent of the "fawn-eyed" remark made at the bottom, but that isn't how it reads.

I didn't attribute 'fawn eyed' to Warne. You did. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s all well reasoned and I get some of those concerns. My own choice is to accept that work is ongoing to address some of those areas and I’m not going to let those things spoil my excitement for the season…yet

That is why it is a concern not a criticism.