Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

A shocking run ultimately cost us. Feels disappointing today but that performance and result wasn’t the one that stopped us getting into the play offs. Take your pick out of our February and March to identify where we fell short. 

I was hoping for a Barnsley result as I reckon we’d have had a good go at Wednesday over 2 legs with 11 men in the play offs. 

Positives:

• We'd have probably had more heartbreak in the play offs anyway if we'd have made them judging by our recent play off history, form of late and away results against the better teams in the league.
  • Not sure about anyone else, but I've quite enjoyed League 1.
  • We'd have had it very hard if we somehow got promoted with us still being under EFL restrictions for another year.

Negatives:

• We're even more likely to lose the likes of Cashin, Knight, Bird, McGoldrick and others now.
  • ANOTHER SEASON OF LEAGUE 1 REFS.

Just now, BPV said:

Yeah don’t get me wrong, he’s not going anywhere. Whether I like him or not, he here for next season. 

It’s likely a lot of the players he’s had at his disposal, he wouldn’t have signed.

But ultimately that’s football, it’s rare in this day and age for managers to have enough time to fully assemble their own squads, and you have to work with what you have. I don’t think Warne has done well enough with them 

That's fair enough - I'm inclined to agree with you but am reserving (full) judgement for next season, assuming he gets a decent opportunity to wheel-and-deal in the summer.

2 minutes ago, jameso said:

Seems a shame to say this but we probably need to be a lot more streetwise next season... maybe take Ipswich as our blueprint in more ways than one!

Next season we simply need to take more chances.

Defensively we are at this level ok, maybe a fitter Centre half or two, but overall fine with a good goalkeeper.

We need someone else up top, we can’t rely on McGoldrick scoring all the time, let alone staying fit. That’s got to be the priority problem to overcome close season.

Unlucky guys, I genuinely couldn’t see you slipping up but sadly that’s how it goes. Hopefully Posh can do Wednesday now and if we do similar to Barnsley we won’t have to worry about the hoardes of Rams or Owls fans we’d face at Wembley because I don’t think many Wanderers fans can afford two trips to Wembley in one season. For what it’s worth it may not be a hardship for you leaving it another year to get up. You were limited in the players you could sign and late in the season it’s showed but give Warne a chance to build and you’ll certainly be pushing for the automatics next season and with a much stronger situation behind you. We’re also being pretty pragmatic about the play offs and it may also be a year early for us too so we may be challenging again next year also. Not much coming down so if it is Wendies going up it’s all to play for for both of us. Hopefully we’ll make it, on our day we can beat any of the others so we’ll just wait and see. Sorry you missed out this time but best of luck for next year, you’re far too big a club to be kicking round this level. 😉

4 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

What all of 2 players who we could only loan with no fee your basing he’s recruitment on a lot dear me 

but thats his main selling point: that he can work with tight budgets

why would we bring him in if we were loading up a war chest

at the end of the day i am not convinced by the guy, judging him on what he is doing here i am not sold on him at all. the quality football has declined and i worry it will continue to do so if we allow him to reshape the squad

us and rotherham are completely different jobs, we will grow tired of the stuff he did at rotherham and got away with like the dour style of football

lets be honest mcgoldrick has dug us out of a mid table hole this season and hes a year older and a year leggier now

It's a tough one but for what it's worth, I thought we were comfortably the better side, even, for the most part, with only 10 men. It's disappointing but I've said before that I think the Championship would be a step too far under the current business plan and with the personnel (or rather numbers thereof) we currently have in place.

Horrible for Curtis to finish this way; he's been such a grand servant to the club, but he really should have put that ball into orbit. He'll be getting horrible pelters for this from the overly emotional Twatterrati and that's not the way it should have ended. 

It's now time for Warne to take stock. At least without the play-offs to muddle the picture, he can now get early markers down in the transfer market, knowing which league we'll be playing in. I'm pretty sure there'll be little rest for the coaching and recruitment teams, even if the players now get to recuperate with friends and family.

It's been a tough old year to be a Rams fan, but it's never been dull. I think we've all grown adept at rolling with the punches over the last dozen years and this is another occasion where all we can do is wipe our mouths, regroup and go again, this time even harder. I'd fancy us to do well with this under our belts, fresher players and one or two well chosen additions, so despite the disappointment of today, I'm feeling pretty good about 2024 being the year the curve turns sharply upward for this great club of ours.

COYR

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Positives:

• We'd have probably had more heartbreak in the play offs anyway if we'd have made them judging by our recent play off history, form of late and away results against the better teams in the league.
  • Not sure about anyone else, but I've quite enjoyed League 1.
  • We'd have had it very hard if we somehow got promoted with us still being under EFL restrictions for another year.

Negatives:

• We're even more likely to lose the likes of Cashin, Knight, Bird, McGoldrick and others now.
  • ANOTHER SEASON OF LEAGUE 1 REFS.

McGoldrick will stay, Bird most likely too, he’s not been anywhere near consistent throughout the season; maybe if we don’t go up next year he’ll go. The rest will be the old players leaving.

Just now, Zag zig said:

Next season we simply need to take more chances.

Defensively we are at this level ok, maybe a fitter Centre half or two, but overall fine with a good goalkeeper.

We need someone else up top, we can’t rely on McGoldrick scoring all the time, let alone staying fit. That’s got to be the priority problem to overcome close season.

Could do with a bit more pace at the back for sure... and to cut out the "imprecise" passing but, as much as I like Curtis, I think he's been the only one who's caused significant alarm there (today wasn't the first or even second time, and he hasn't even played that many games this year)

Would definitely like to see a mobile goalscorer (easier wished for than granted)

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

We have zero players in their prime years

All either young lads or old heads. Bring in a couple of players & a striker and we will be fine next season

We are a squad thrown together we players playing out of position. As frustrating as today if we went up next season would be tough. Id rather build properly & go at it next season

my issue is we knew this in pre season

our recruitment was poor from minute one with all the wages we have dished out.

it needs to be right this summer otherwise we will be in trouble

Great performance today. The match hinged on atrocious officiating, which we've seen all season. But in one game that can happen, and the ref wasn't up to the pressure. Again. 

We blew the playoffs in the home game last week, when all we had to do was win against a team with nothing to play for. 

Absolutely gutted. This squad will now be ripped apart again, all because of the EFL bastids and their ongoing restrictions.