A practical thank you to David Clowes, and DCFC.

Rev

I was reading the clickbait thread about Pride Park a few weeks back, and it got me thinking.

The area where I sit/stand, is pretty grubby to be honest.

Cobwebs and years of grime baked into the surroundings, I've often thought of taking some cleaning wipes in and giving it a good going over, but matchday probably isn’t the time to do it.

The summer break though, could be the perfect time!

We could show our appreciation, by devoting a few hours of our time one weekend of the clubs choosing, and descend on PP on mass with our dusters, polish and swiffers. 

Sunderland did something similar, when they engaged volunteer fans to fit new seats, so it is possible. 

Maybe the club could utilise us in a different way, as they see fit.

Even if only 1% of ST Holders responded to the cause, that would still be 200 people. Pledge 4 hours each, and that's 800 hours of free labour, more than enough I'd have thought to get the place spick and span. 

We could bring our own materials, and take away the used products, to save the club even having to hire disposal facilities or purchase equipment.

Get the tannoy playing out some tunes, to keep us entertained whilst working, and we could have a great community day out, helping in a practical way the club we all love.

We can't match the owners financial commitment to the club obviously, but we can show how much we appreciate his involvement by using our free time to help the club.

What do you guys think? 

Maybe @angieram could sound out the Ramstrust membership, to see if there's any merit in the idea?

Bloody hell.  4 hours worth of Pledge?  That's a heck of a lot of polish!    

Oh... erm... I may need to read that bit again.  🤪

In all seriousness, as corny as this first seems... I like it.  👍

I'm local.  I'm able bodied.  Why not!  Put me down for 4 hours worth!  Absolutely.

I've even got my IPAF licence, so if our mate Clowesy needs to hire a cherry picker in for those hard to reach corners, I'll be happy to oblige.

... I think Muckerette has half a roll of jay cloths somewhere!  👀 

11 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Bloody hell.  4 hours worth of Pledge?  That's a heck of a lot of polish!    

Oh... erm... I may need to read that bit again.  🤪

In all seriousness, as corny as this first seems... I like it.  👍

I'm local.  I'm able bodied.  Why not!  Put me down for 4 hours worth!  Absolutely.

I've even got my IPAF licence, so if our mate Clowesy needs to hire a cherry picker in for those hard to reach corners, I'll be happy to oblige.

... I think Muckerette has half a roll of jay cloths somewhere!  👀 

As I am retired and live twenty miles away, I don’t mind you doing a double shift on my behalf.

I wish you'd mentioned it before Tuesday evening,  when I was chatting to both David and Stephen (Pearce.) 

I expect there would be some reason why this isn't possible - insurance springs to mind - but I'm happy to put it forward for discussion at the next SCG.

We always used to get a good number volunteering to put flags out. It's always a great opportunity to wander around behind the scenes, walk through bits of the ground we don't normally get to see. 

11 hours ago, Rev said:

I was reading the clickbait thread about Pride Park a few weeks back, and it got me thinking.

Cobwebs and years of grime baked into the surroundings, I've often thought of taking some cleaning wipes in and giving it a good going over, but matchday probably isn’t the time to do it.

We could show our appreciation, by devoting a few hours of our time one weekend of the clubs choosing, and descend on PP on mass with our dusters, polish and swiffers. 

Sunderland did something similar, when they engaged volunteer fans to fit new seats, so it is possible. 

Even if only 1% of ST Holders responded to the cause, that would still be 200 people. Pledge 4 hours each, and that's 800 hours of free labour, more than enough I'd have thought to get the place spick and span. 

We could bring our own materials, and take away the used products, to save the club even having to hire disposal facilities or purchase equipment.

Get the tannoy playing out some tunes, to keep us entertained whilst working, and we could have a great community day out, helping in a practical way the club we all love.

We can't match the owners financial commitment to the club obviously, but we can show how much we appreciate his involvement by using our free time to help the club.

What do you guys think? 

Maybe @angieram could sound out the Ramstrust membership, to see if there's any merit in the idea?

I can think of one poster who having been quite vocally disappointed with the state of the stadium who will be there for sure......?

On 28/04/2023 at 21:16, angieram said:

I wish you'd mentioned it before Tuesday evening,  when I was chatting to both David and Stephen (Pearce.) 

I expect there would be some reason why this isn't possible - insurance springs to mind - but I'm happy to put it forward for discussion at the next SCG.

We always used to get a good number volunteering to put flags out. It's always a great opportunity to wander around behind the scenes, walk through bits of the ground we don't normally get to see. 

So what did Dave and Steve have to say? Come on spill the beans Ange.

13 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

So what did Dave and Steve have to say? Come on spill the beans Ange.

I asked Stephen about rebuilding the academy and he was saying how difficult it is because some of the young players released from Prem academies want a lot of money, above what we could afford to pay this season. Hopefully next season will be better.

Stephen wasn't very impressed with having to sit in with the Bristol Rovers supporters when we were down there (I was complaining to him about our away stand!) but David said he didn't mind it and stood up and applauded when we scored even though surrounded by Rovers' fans. 

David just generally chatty, seemed happy to be amongst us. I spent more time chatting with his wife, who is lovely. 

It was heartwarming to see them so involved and relaxed with the supporters, a marked contrast to last year, of course. But that applied to the players and management,  too. I know we are in a much better place this year, but even so, it feels like there is a culture change right from the top of the Club.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I asked Stephen about rebuilding the academy and he was saying how difficult it is because some of the young players released from Prem academies want a lot of money, above what we could afford to pay this season. Hopefully next season will be better.

Stephen wasn't very impressed with having to sit in with the Bristol Rovers supporters when we were down there (I was complaining to him about our away stand!) but David said he didn't mind it and stood up and applauded when we scored even though surrounded by Rovers' fans. 

David just generally chatty, seemed happy to be amongst us. I spent more time chatting with his wife, who is lovely. 

It was heartwarming to see them so involved and relaxed with the supporters, a marked contrast to last year, of course. But that applied to the players and management,  too. I know we are in a much better place this year, but even so, it feels like there is a culture change right from the top of the Club.

I really don't know why this fellas still attached to the club.  Seems weird after the last 2 years of shitshow.

Whilst the rest of you were making a dash for the exit yesterday, or wasting valuable time stood applauding players parading around the pitch, I was dashing around spitting on seats and giving them a buffing up with the extra layer I'd mistakenly donned because of the forecasted showers that didn't materialise!  🙄

The wardens kicked me out at 19:47!

"Spat on each North Stand Seat... You'll never sing that"!  

20 hours ago, angieram said:

That’s just small talk. Is there a war chest ready to go when restrictions are removed?

5 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

That’s just small talk. Is there a war chest ready to go when restrictions are removed?

Well, that's all I chatted about, it was a social occasion! 

If you read the SCG minutes, there's positive news in there about the Business Plan, just got to get the EFL to agree to it. 

From what's been said at those meetings there is money available,  but I get the impression that we'll be trying to operate sustainably in future. That's why our big crowds are so advantageous- we're all helping to fund the future! 

On 30/04/2023 at 18:39, Gritstone Ram said:

Hopefully not. If there's one thing the Mel Morris era should have taught us it's that there's almost no correlation between how mich you spend on players and player quality. As George Thorne said, Morris spent £50 million making Derby a weaker side. Butterfield for £4 million, Jozefzoon for £3 million to pick just two examples. Compare and contrast with Martin for nothing, Forsyth for nothing, Bryson £400k etc etc.  

Let's build slowly, surely and sustainably and not repeat the mistakes of the past...

On 28/04/2023 at 21:55, Rev said:

What do you guys think? 

Reminds me of the Union Berlin fans, who had a massive role in rebuilding the An der Alten Försterei.

https://www.dw.com/en/soccer-fans-build-stadium-for-east-berlin-cult-club/a-4243189