Manchester City Champions League

ziggyram59

As a English team do you want Manchester City to finally win the Champions League? I am definitely supporting them I believe they are the best team in Europe at present and would be deserved champions. But I can understand a lot of fans of other clubs are jealous of Man City's success and don't want them to win the Champions League. 

Edited by ziggyram59

I don't care too much about the Champions League in all honesty, but given the choice I'd prefer Real Madrid to knock them out.

I don't like Man City being elevated far above their real status due to the inordinate wealth of their owners. Just as I didn't like Chelsea when Abramovich came in spending money like it was going out of fashion.

I'd hate that to happen to Derby, honestly, I'm happy with what we are, the history we have and who we represent, so it's certainly not jealousy.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Absolutely not.

I hope Real smash them and the wait goes on.

Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs in Europe I can get behind.

Man City and Chelsea, no way Pedro.

I don't see what the difference is.

Spurs aside, all those teams are foreign owned and have a similar ratio of British to foreign players as Man CIty and Chelsea.

It's understandable that a lot of fans despise Man City because of there ownership, Newcastle will be the next team to hate because of there owners once they start winning something. This is what The Premier League/Sky created there monster. I would love to know what Brian Clough would think of today's football. Thanks for your opinions. 

16 minutes ago, Anon said:

I don't see what the difference is.

Spurs aside, all those teams are foreign owned and have a similar ratio of British to foreign players as Man CIty and Chelsea.

Nothing to do with ownership, it’s the speed in which they have bought their way to the top. Inflating transfer fees on their way which has a knock on effect down the leagues, both stock piling youngsters from young ages that have an ounce of potential.

Man City have also been found to have “sponsors” by companies that appear to have no head office or staff, continue to just get away with it. 

I also don’t buy into this Pep is a genius talk, you walk into a club like Barca with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Bayern that were already dominating, Man City where it’s £50m here, £50m there. He’s not a bad manager, don’t get me wrong, just massively overhyped in my opinion.

Not a problem with new clubs breaking into the top, clubs like Brighton and Brentford you can see building their way up there, whilst they will never break into the top, it’s more impressive what they are doing than when the oil boys money rolls into town for a game of fantasy football.

PSG equally distasteful outside the UK in how they are going about their business. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Nothing to do with ownership, it’s the speed in which they have bought their way to the top. Inflating transfer fees on their way which has a knock on effect down the leagues, both stock piling youngsters from young ages that have an ounce of potential.

I think there's a bit of recency bias here. Were Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal not inflating transfer fees when they broke the British transfer record in the 90's? The stockpiling of youngsters is a big problem, but don't forget it was the entire Premier League who enabled this by pushing for rule changes that stripped protections like tribunal fees for youth players from smaller clubs.

2 hours ago, David said:

Man City have also been found to have “sponsors” by companies that appear to have no head office or staff, continue to just get away with it. 

I also don’t buy into this Pep is a genius talk, you walk into a club like Barca with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Bayern that were already dominating, Man City where it’s £50m here, £50m there. He’s not a bad manager, don’t get me wrong, just massively overhyped in my opinion.

Not a problem with new clubs breaking into the top, clubs like Brighton and Brentford you can see building their way up there, whilst they will never break into the top, it’s more impressive what they are doing than when the oil boys money rolls into town for a game of fantasy football.

PSG equally distasteful outside the UK in how they are going about their business. 

You're fine with Spurs but not Man City due to the speed they reached the top? What if it was Everton or Villa?
Well, based on all time average positions, Man City are 6th and Spurs are 9th.
Top 10 being: Liverpool, Arsenal, Everton, Man Utd, Villa, Man City, Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs, Sunderland.

Man City had 4 top half PL finishes in the 2000's, with the first time being 03/04, despite being in the 2nd division for 2 seasons before that. In 09/10, they finally qualified for Europe with a 5th place finish. They improved slightly again the following season, qualifying for the Champions League for the first time due to a 3rd place finish. In 11/12, they improved yet again, finally winning the title (on GD). They then had a few seasons of relative struggle, winning only 1 more title in the following 5 seasons. They're now dominating the league under Pep after a first season of him adjusting to football in this country, and now has 4 league titles in 5 seasons.

Man City don’t represent England. So supporting them for that reason is silly.

I want them to win simply because I enjoy watching them play. But for the romance of it, I wouldn’t be against one of the Milan sides winning it.

Man City aren’t guilty of inflating fees. They have never broken a transfer record unlike teams such as Newcastle, Man Utd and Liverpool since the PL reform.

If it wasn’t for Chelsea and City, then the PL would have become like the Bundesliga a long time ago.

Edited by Bris Vegas

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If it wasn’t for Chelsea and City, then the PL would have become like the Bundesliga a long time ago.

What, not awash with billions of pounds and match tickets for a tenner?.

I believe I could live with that.

6 hours ago, David said:

By that logic were you OK when it was Forest?? Actually, for me, I was (though I do appreciate they haven't dined well on it over the years).

10 hours ago, David said:

I’m just putting this out there. In 1913 Arsenal literally bought promotion. They finished 5th but the authorities at the time decided they were to be promoted because their owner had spent a lot of money on the team. They’ve never been relegated since. Do you dislike them too?

Just now, Will the Ram said:

I’m just putting this out there. In 1913 Arsenal literally bought promotion. They finished 5th but the authorities at the time decided they were to be promoted because their owner had spent a lot of money on the team. They’ve never been relegated since. Do you dislike them too?

That was our fault.  Our vote made it 7-5. A draw on votes would have promoted Spurs. They should write off Bieliks fee as a belated thanks, the gits.

7 hours ago, Wolfie said:

What, not awash with billions of pounds and match tickets for a tenner?.

I believe I could live with that.

Who is going to win the league this year? Oh its Bayern Munich... again... for the millionth time in a row.... how fun.

We might only have a handful of teams that the title rotates around but its infinitely better than watching the turgid s*** the bundesliga serves up.

Its excellent that teams like Man City, Chelsea, Newcastle, etc now have resources to compete with the established clubs and make the league at least semi interesting