Manchester City Champions League

ziggyram59

48 minutes ago, David said:

You're focusing too much on the trophies that buying success brings, not the bigger picture.

It's the cost of those trophies and the impact it's having down the football pyramid right now with the inflated transfer fees which has seen player demands increase.

Back when Blackburn were buying success, the youngsters who haven't even made the first team wouldn't be driving around in Porsches as they are now down Cobham.

When they don't make it to the first team and have little first team experience out on loan to show for it, they will turn up at a Championship club asking for 10k pw. It's madness.

Other clubs have spend big money, they have, but Chelsea and Man City have done it at an astronomical level in such a short period of time it's messed the market up.

To be honest Derbys financial situation really started when they gave Bryson a massive 5 year deal on 20 plus k a week and  then Keogh and Martin got 3 year deals on 25 k a week as they wanted financial parity.  Better deals for 4 others as well.  This too keep them from the hands of Burnley who went up really due to Martins incorrect Red and a disallowed Hendrick goal. 

A calculated gamble that went crazy under Clement, personified by a mind blowing 2.7 million transfer and supposed 27k a week in wages over 4 years for a journeyman in Blackman and then  later the Anya deal which was similar but another 1.5 million in fee and 4 years for a 30 year old winger.   I'm sure Morris kept offering Shackell more wages and longer contracts just pee of Dyche.  

Not the only ones mind.  Anyone for a 50 k a week contract for 3 goal Bendtner-  one of those for Derby or 15 million and a 5 year deal on huge wages for a Portugese wonderkid with no receipt.

20 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Aren't they all in a higher division than Derby?  So it seems natural that players would want to sign for them rather than Derby (at the moment).  There shouldn't be any law in football that predetermines a permanent hierarchy.  In fact that's precisely the opposite of what football should be. It should be based on how the team has traditionally performed on the pitch..aswell as the natural size of their fanbase I guess.

Regrettably a sport that was once as much about the fans as anything else is fast becoming a plaything for billionaires, who use their (nearly always) ill-gotten wealth to arbitrarily turn previously obscure clubs into powerhouses overnight. 

It's not the division or the club though, it's the money.  

Callaghan left Watford in the first Division to come here,  Gregory came down to Derby from a first division club and had done so before.  Micklewhite, Davison turning down Arsenal.  Latterly Johnson ignoring Liverpool to come here after verbally agreeing to sign.   Just a few I can recall

Players just generally had more scruples and desire to play for a shirt with heritage in times gone by.  If any player told me he was considering an offer from Bournemouth as well as Derby, my boot would be up his arse that fast his back teeth would rattle as he got shoved out the door.  

8 hours ago, Highgate said:

Bayern's dominance often makes the title race in Germany boring it's true. Although this season there is only 2 points between themselves and Dortmund at the top.

However, the Bundesliga is actually a great league. Very entertaining games, in packed stadiums with great atmospheres. As well as that, ticket prices are affordable, and the teams are predominantly fan owned. It's actually an example of how football should be done. A much better model than the Premier League in my opinion.

I do prefer their ownership and pricing models, but it doesnt really matter if they have odd game that is entertaining when they are all utterly pointless if you're not bayern munich

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Man City don’t represent England. So supporting them for that reason is silly.

I want them to win simply because I enjoy watching them play. But for the romance of it, I wouldn’t be against one of the Milan sides winning it.

Man City aren’t guilty of inflating fees. They have never broken a transfer record unlike teams such as Newcastle, Man Utd and Liverpool since the PL reform.

If it wasn’t for Chelsea and City, then the PL would have become like the Bundesliga a long time ago.

I assume you mean Man Utd would be the equivalent to Bayern?

In the PL era, the following clubs have won the title:
Man Utd - 13
Man City - 6
Chelsea - 5
Arsenal - 3
Blackburn - 1
Leicester - 1
Liverpool - 1

Remove Chelsea and Man City from the tables and one club is clearly dominating:
Man Utd - 18
Arsenal - 5
Liverpool - 4
Blackburn - 1
Leicester - 1
Spurs - 1

However, this ignores Man Utd's dominance under SAF. 3 of those additional 5 titles were under him, but titles since he left would become:
Liverpool - 4
Arsenal - 2 (including current season)
Man Utd - 2
Leicester - 1
Spurs - 1

This looks much more balanced, with the 3 traditional biggest clubs having a fairly even share of the title.

In the same time periods, Bundesliga is still 1 sided.
During the 'PL era', it's more extreme than England without Chelsea and Man City:
Bayern - 20
Dortmund - 5
Bremen - 2
Kaiserslautern - 1
Stuttgart - 1
Wolfsburg - 1

Post SAF era is taking extreme to another level:
Bayern - 9 (excluding current season)

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I assume you mean Man Utd would be the equivalent to Bayern?

In the PL era, the following clubs have won the title:
Man Utd - 13
Man City - 6
Chelsea - 5
Arsenal - 3
Blackburn - 1
Leicester - 1
Liverpool - 1

Remove Chelsea and Man City from the tables and one club is clearly dominating:
Man Utd - 18
Arsenal - 5
Liverpool - 4
Blackburn - 1
Leicester - 1
Spurs - 1

However, this ignores Man Utd's dominance under SAF. 3 of those additional 5 titles were under him, but titles since he left would become:
Liverpool - 4
Arsenal - 2 (including current season)
Man Utd - 2
Leicester - 1
Spurs - 1

This looks much more balanced, with the 3 traditional biggest clubs having a fairly even share of the title.

In the same time periods, Bundesliga is still 1 sided.
During the 'PL era', it's more extreme than England without Chelsea and Man City:
Bayern - 20
Dortmund - 5
Bremen - 2
Kaiserslautern - 1
Stuttgart - 1
Wolfsburg - 1

Post SAF era is taking extreme to another level:
Bayern - 9 (excluding current season)

It’s impossible to consider by removing Man City and Chelsea from the equation. As the players who joined those clubs may have joined Man Utd instead if it wasn’t for the wealth those two brought.

I just remember early 00s. Arsenal were putting up a fight, but United were still winning the PL most seasons and breaking transfer records left, right and center. Their £30m buy of Rio Ferdinand at the time would be the equivalent of a £100m+ signing today on a central defender.

Arsenal were always going to fall away with the stadium build.

So from 2004 onwards, without Chelsea or City, Man Utd would have probably racked up 10+ consecutive PL titles and the huge investment in the league from foreign owners, broadcasting deals may never have happened.

On 20/04/2023 at 13:17, Anon said:

I think there's a bit of recency bias here. Were Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal not inflating transfer fees when they broke the British transfer record in the 90's? The stockpiling of youngsters is a big problem, but don't forget it was the entire Premier League who enabled this by pushing for rule changes that stripped protections like tribunal fees for youth players from smaller clubs.

Quite right. Man Utd paid 30m for an 18 year old in 2004. Nearly 60m in todays terms. Ok, he turned out to be good value in the long run but it still inflated  prices like City have. 

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Quite right. Man Utd paid 30m for an 18 year old in 2004. Nearly 60m in todays terms. Ok, he turned out to be good value in the long run but it still inflated  prices like City have. 

Weird to think that the record was 'just' £7m 'as recently' as 1995 until you remember how long ago 1995 really is.

Man Utd set that fee in 1995, and would later go on to set others,  but they'd won the league in the 92/93 & 93/94 seasons, went on to win it in 95/96, 96/97, 98/99 (as well as a Champions league victory), 99/00, 00/01, 02/03...

Yes they set record fees for individual players but it was based on having earned the right to do so, not simply because their overall transfer spend blitzed everyone else's during that period. Once you've earned your position you have to spend to keep your position. That's the key difference IMO.

Chelsea's surge under Abramovich was the real starting point for it going silly, Man City just took it up another level. Obsessing over individual record breaking fees seems daft to me, they're not the sole defining reason for prices going up across the board rather (quite often) standout monuments of a team's desperation to stay on top.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Apparently its free to view on BT Sport youtube channel later

All European Cup Finals are screened on BT YouTube...ie Saville Vs Roma, WHU Vs Fiorentina and of course tonight's game 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

I suppose moving to the paradise of Cleethorpes has to have one drawback

Technically Scartho Top, sounds better.

We pronounce it Scarrrrrrrthough Top like Lady Bouquet 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Technically Scartho Top, sounds better.

We pronounce it Scarrrrrrrthough Top like Lady Bouquet 

Yes I understand you have an Aldi and a Chimney Sweep. Sounds delightful.