Manchester City Champions League

ziggyram59

35 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

The save to pretty much quote the commentator...the greatest save in Man Citys history...or summat like that.

That was the most ludicrous part of the all-round poor commentary... the ball just hit Ederson on the leg before he even had time to react.

Ryan Conway has it right:

Edited by Carnero

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

really enjoyed watching it. Inzaghi deserved as many plaudits in the manager stakes as Pep tonight though. Thought inter did really well not least keeping Haarland quiet, by his standards. Amazed they could play the game they did in that heat.  I think city would have won more comfortably if De Bruyne had stayed on. They are still a different team without him. Stones is unrecognisable compared to the player we saw a couple of years ago. Have been a great fan of Walker recently and was surprised he didn't start. But the FFP shadow hanging over them is a big problem …. in other sports winners get stripped of their titles if they’ve been guilty of cheating … 

The charges don’t actually relate to the current team though. Aren’t most through the period of 2010-2016?

City’s starting XI featured the likes of De Bruyne and Ake who Chelsea were happy to rid of.

Akanji was a bargain buy. Gundogan too. Grealish aside, I don’t think any City player out there cost more than £60m.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Over the last 5 years, Man City rank 10th for net transfer spend out of 22/23 PL teams. 

There is no doubt there was a significant initial investment. But that was only to accelerate the process and was kind of expected. I mean, grab any midtable side and you’re going to need to pump £500m+ into it over say 3 seasons to ge them consistently challenging just in the top four.

Newcastle will be a further example of this. They’ve already spent £200m. They’re going to need to spend another £150m this summer just to try and get 4th again with Liverpool likely to improve. They are still way off City and United.

City’s process started in 2008. That’s 15 years ago now.

I don’t envisage them needing to outspend their rivals anymore. All the foundations are in place for them to just keep ticking over now as illustrated by their moderate net spend.

Ultimately, City’s recruitment has been the key to their success. Some will say it’s easy with a bottomless pit. But if that was the case, why aren’t United or Chelsea enjoying similar success? City have just simply been smarter.

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The charges don’t actually relate to the current team though. Aren’t most through the period of 2010-2016?

City’s starting XI featured the likes of De Bruyne and Ake who Chelsea were happy to rid of.

Akanji was a bargain buy. Gundogan too. Grealish aside, I don’t think any City player out there cost more than £60m.

A lot is made of the Grealish fee, of course, but every man, women and dog in the country said that he was absolutely not worth that money - he’d only been playing in the premier league a couple of season at that point after a lengthy spell in the Championship. Pep saw something and really wanted him, so did what it took - one of the biggest transfer gambles ever taken. He’s now an integral part of treble winning side. 

42 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ultimately, City’s recruitment has been the key to their success. Some will say it’s easy with a bottomless pit. But if that was the case, why aren’t United or Chelsea enjoying similar success? City have just simply been smarter.

no doubt pep has been a big part of it. but haven't artificially inflated sponsorship deals also allowed them to compete alongside teams with bigger international supporter base ?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

A lot is made of the Grealish fee, of course, but every man, women and dog in the country said that he was absolutely not worth that money - he’d only been playing in the premier league a couple of season at that point after a lengthy spell in the Championship. Pep saw something and really wanted him, so did what it took - one of the biggest transfer gambles ever taken. He’s now an integral part of treble winning side. 

£45m for Kalvin Phillips though….

29 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

no doubt pep has been a big part of it. but haven't artificially inflated sponsorship deals also allowed them to compete alongside teams with bigger international supporter base ?

By international supporter base do you mean people who don’t go to matches but just buy a shirt and say they’re Man U/Liverpool/Real Madrid/ Barcelona fans I’m pleased teams can compete against them, unfortunately you need boat loads of cash now unlike in the pre premier league days 

Being half Manc and watching my gran suffer when City were s**** and Derby were even much better them, I’m pleased they did the treble last night. I’m also pleased they’ve upset the establishment, they aren’t the glamour club Liverpool or United are, and they’re not a London club, the true city fans still are still waiting for it to all go wrong, it genuinely means something to them so fair play let them enjoy it. 

Feels like the established clubs have an agenda against them, some of the things they’ve been accused of are pretty bad and if found guilty they would need to be punished, but it appears the majority of the offences were from the pre-guardiola era to get them established enough to attract the likes of Pep. What pep has done since 2016 is remarkable, to say he’s bought the league is lazy, yes he has had backing but no more than United Chelsea Arsenal and look what they’ve achieved in the same period by comparison. He deserves credit and this city team deserves credit, put any other manager in charge of City I’m not sure they would have matched pep’s achievements. He’s a genius. 

2 hours ago, David said:

Terrible night for football.

Football is done, and has been for a while now, Sky, the CL, agents, greedy owners all played their part. When average performers make more in a year than most people do in a lifetime, that says something. Apart from the fact that Citeh success really p!ss the red half of Manchester off, I am not fussed about them. They play great football, got a great manager, get great results. Compare that to Qatar Saint Germain, guaranteed to win the French league 99%. The rest is a sh!t show the supporters booed Messi on his last home game. The owners of Citeh have spent loads but put a lot of money into an area of Manchester which needed it. Yesterday all club employees went to Istanbul. Compared that to the Glazers who just piled debt on the club and sucked as much as they could out of the club, and want an extra billion cos 5 ain't enough, the greedy basterwards. Citeh aren't that bad me thinks.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is no doubt there was a significant initial investment. But that was only to accelerate the process and was kind of expected. I mean, grab any midtable side and you’re going to need to pump £500m+ into it over say 3 seasons to ge them consistently challenging just in the top four.

Newcastle will be a further example of this. They’ve already spent £200m. They’re going to need to spend another £150m this summer just to try and get 4th again with Liverpool likely to improve. They are still way off City and United.

City’s process started in 2008. That’s 15 years ago now.

I don’t envisage them needing to outspend their rivals anymore. All the foundations are in place for them to just keep ticking over now as illustrated by their moderate net spend.

Doing it 'smarter' is neither here nor there

22 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Football is done, and has been for a while now, Sky, the CL, agents, greedy owners all played their part. When average performers make more in a year than most people do in a lifetime, that says something. Apart from the fact that Citeh success really p!ss the red half of Manchester off, I am not fussed about them. They play great football, got a great manager, get great results. Compare that to Qatar Saint Germain, guaranteed to win the French league 99%. The rest is a sh!t show the supporters booed Messi on his last home game. The owners of Citeh have spent loads but put a lot of money into an area of Manchester which needed it. Yesterday all club employees went to Istanbul. Compared that to the Glazers who just piled debt on the club and sucked as much as they could out of the club, and want an extra billion cos 5 ain't enough, the greedy basterwards. Citeh aren't that bad me thinks.

This post shows the efficacy of sportswashing.

4 hours ago, The Last Post said:

One final comment...the commentators

Pundits and commentators on BT last night were poor. They just overdo everything. Boring, dour, way too serious and end up talking a load of nonsense. No wonder they are having a rebrand.

Edited by Rammy03