Forest Green Rovers (A) Friday 7th April, 3pm KO

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

White, another Dobbin, for us.

36 minutes ago, jono said:

I didn’t see the game Roy so can’t honestly comment but I agree, both White and Dobbin are skilled players who make a difference but there’s a killer element missing. Lots of promise, you can see the positives in so many passages of play but the “next level” button never quite gets pressed. 

Dobbin has provided goals and assists for the side this season without which we would be worse off in terms of league position. He has also missed chances that had he taken them we may be better off with regards to our league position.

Dobbin has a “killer element”, the issue for him is showing it consistently. If he can work on his decision making and composure he will have a good career, maybe not at premier league but more than likely at championship level.
For anyone who claims otherwise I feel you’re all wilfully ignoring the good elements to his game and only focusing on where he can improve. Forgetting, or again ignoring, that he is a young player still learning his craft and if he were the finished article he wouldn’t be on loan with us in league one.

White is a different player to Dobbin and has been unfortunate to join us at a time when our form dipped and he had to be thrown into battle to cover one of our better players being injured. Again, I’m sure he’ll have an alright career just probably not the best loan spell with us. 
There is of course still plenty of time for them both to contribute to the rest of our season. 

28 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Dobbin has provided goals and assists for the side this season without which we would be worse off in terms of league position. He has also missed chances that had he taken them we may be better off with regards to our league position.

Dobbin has a “killer element”, the issue for him is showing it consistently. If he can work on his decision making and composure he will have a good career, maybe not at premier league but more than likely at championship level.
For anyone who claims otherwise I feel you’re all wilfully ignoring the good elements to his game and only focusing on where he can improve. Forgetting, or again ignoring, that he is a young player still learning his craft and if he were the finished article he wouldn’t be on loan with us in league one.

White is a different player to Dobbin and has been unfortunate to join us at a time when our form dipped and he had to be thrown into battle to cover one of our better players being injured. Again, I’m sure he’ll have an alright career just probably not the best loan spell with us. 
There is of course still plenty of time for them both to contribute to the rest of our season. 

Oh for sure. 👍🏼 Not doubting their ability, career prospects or indeed the contributions they have made in the campaign. I think there is an element of wishful thinking from many of us (me included) that every loanee attacker/midfielder from the prem will be the next Mason Mount, or Leon Osman. We have seen good performances from both these lads, just never quite the imperious dream show you hope for - there’s still time 🐏

37 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That is the point being made! Both he and White have bags of potential and we will only see a sniff of it. But when they play for us they are gaining more than we get in return IMO.

Edited by RoyMac5

Job done today. Not a vintage performance but the result was never in doubt, we barely conceded a chance and should’ve scored more than we did. 

Yes we were playing Forest Green but we really looked solid today, reminded me of earlier in the season when we kept clean sheets for fun. Chester was excellent, as was Roberts and Cashin was back to his best. 

Regarding the rest of the team, Smith in his favoured position didn’t do it for me today, likewise Conor was frustrating but he was useful in managing the game in last 20 mins with his calmness in possession. Knight played well, I don’t know what Harvey White has to do to play, he was best player against Peterborough and has hardly played since. Bird on the other hand has been awful since he returned so it was spot on to leave him out, looked ok when he came on so gives Warne a decision particularly with Smiths performance today. 

The wing backs, Sibley couldn’t get in the game as everything went down the right. Mendez put 6 or 7 unbelievable crosses in today, thought he ran out of steam and should’ve been subbed off earlier. As for Didzy and Collo both were a bit up and down today but overall they played ok and glad they both scored.

The same solidity with moving the ball better in midfield will be a good blue print for us for the remainder of this season. I’d definitely be considering white or bird for Smith on Monday but otherwise wouldn’t make many changes.

It was must win today with the other results, and Monday is also must win. I think we will win before more sterner tests against Bristol and Exeter where we’re going to need to win at least one of those.

COYR!!! 🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

As bad as our run has been, I hadn’t realised Sheff Weds had completely collapsed, level with us over 8 games in the form table and below us if you bring the games down to 6.

Shows how it can happen to anyone in this division, even those that 10 games ago looked near invincible.

Could be highly relevant to us.  If on 7may at high noon Wendies are out of reach of automatic promotion but safely in the top 6, our match against them will be easier 

5 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Bristol are 21st in the home form table but I agree, they will be critical games (as they all are now I guess).

A win on Monday might be enough to see of Portsmouth and Wycombe (5 points behind with only 5 games remaining is a big gap to make up) and it would be good to fill our boots against MK Dons but, it's their home games where the damage has been done. They are ranked 13th for their away record so no pushover.

All well and good but Peterborough are the team we need to get above to make the play offs now. If we do that we'll probably be in the cut. If not, we'll be relying on overtaking Bolton. It's a knife edge for me at the moment.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That is the point being made! Both he and White have bags of potential and we will only see a sniff of it. But when they play for us they are gaining more than we get in return IMO.

Would you say the same of mount, tomori and Wilson ? All given lots of game time, came on fast and it was win win. We should have been wringing the talent out of White since January, he’s at the stage where experience will quickly fill his sails. Instead we’ve seen Smith in the doldrums, and Knight becalmed by playing alongside senior players who are taking extra rum rations

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

All well and good but Peterborough are the team we need to get above to make the play offs now. If we do that we'll probably be in the cut. If not, we'll be relying on overtaking Bolton. It's a knife edge for me at the moment.

There’s a lot can change yet. We need to keep an eye on Portsmouth in our back mirror. April 27 could be a 6 pointer 

Big Duncan had a different view of things. The penalty was lucky how was the player supposed to get his hand out of the way when the ball was hit towards him at pace (absolute Rubbish). The second goal was just unlucky (I thought it was good closing down).

We have very few shots (I thought their goal keeper kept a few out to be fair, I was impressed by him). They had loads of chances (missed them if they did). 

WE time wasted, even mentioned Wildsmith going down. (I actually think we are poor at time wasting, the worst in the division, and what I mean is we don't really do it. Wildsmith had a ball to his nether regions but was down what 30 seconds). 

Big Dunc another very bad loser 

11 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

White has significant promise imo. I think he’d have come on in leaps and bounds if he’d been used as part of a functioning midfield instead of being thrown into aerial bombardment.   His half season with us has probably done him more harm than good   

Yes bird is still coming back from his injury. For me a start and 60 mins today would have benefitted him and the team, to prepare him for the run in   

and of course Didzy is a magician though not always easy to play alongside. He’s cool in front of goal but our dream team possibly has him playing deeper   Dream on ... 

What have you seen from White to say he has significant promise?

He's played over 45 minutes in 6 games:-

The losses to Barnsley, Plymouth and Peterborough, the draw against Lincoln and wins against Charlton and Cheltenham.

I dont remember any of them games being aerial bombardments, our possession in the games were 60%, 40%, 58%, 73%, 43% and 60%.

I'm going to go with the management and medical staff on Bird, but from my own eyes he has looked off the pace since coming back and I get the feeling maybe we have rushed him back.

Why on earth you'd want someone who has already scored 20 and assisted 7, in his current position, to drop deeper is completely beyond me I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Great post

people forget these are young kids who have been sent out on loan to help iron out the creases in their game and there are plenty.

i would happily take either long term if they became free agents. They both have ability but both have a lot to learn… but thats where we are isnt it

we have to exercise patience , the club has just been on emergency life support and is now by a small miracle back on its feet and will need time (and restrictions lifted) before we’re back firing on all cylinders.

11 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Big Duncan had a different view of things. The penalty was lucky how was the player supposed to get his hand out of the way when the ball was hit towards him at pace (absolute Rubbish). The second goal was just unlucky (I thought it was good closing down).

We have very few shots (I thought their goal keeper kept a few out to be fair, I was impressed by him). They had loads of chances (missed them if they did). 

WE time wasted, even mentioned Wildsmith going down. (I actually think we are poor at time wasting, the worst in the division, and what I mean is we don't really do it. Wildsmith had a ball to his nether regions but was down what 30 seconds). 

I dont remember Wildsmith making a save. They had the big chance when he came racing out of his area but other than that we were very comfortable. 

Cant agree with you on the time wasting, think Wildsmith is as bad as anyone for it.

7 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Three teams level on points. I think that’s a knife edge for all of us. 

I said in another post that we should expect Bolton and Peterborough to win on Monday and we could do with filling our boots against MKD in order to edge above Posh. A big win against MKD might not be quite as easy as their league position suggests. Their overall away record isn’t too shabby although they don’t fair so we’ll against the top teams.

34 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Few shots 😂

IMG_6391.jpeg

Edited by WystonRam

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Would you say the same of mount, tomori and Wilson ? All given lots of game time, came on fast and it was win win. We should have been wringing the talent out of White since January, he’s at the stage where experience will quickly fill his sails. Instead we’ve seen Smith in the doldrums, and Knight becalmed by playing alongside senior players who are taking extra rum rations

Which of our loans is as good as one of those three? 😄 It's not even like when Charlton loaned Bielik from Arsenal. The senior players have the experience the youth are sucking out of them, to use a similar analogy. Smith is an ordinary midfielder who looks better at fb and Knight hasn't been given one position, somewhat like Sibley.