England - Euro 2024 qualifiers

littleover ram

The squad is stale. It has proven itsself not quite good enough in tournaments, yet Southgate persists with the same players, many of who have regressed. There's simply no case for some of them. These are apparently the players Southgate "trusts", but how can he learn to trust other, better players, if he doesn't select them?

To travel to Italy, on paper the most difficult game in the group, without the defender who knows Italian football the best and has proved himself against the Italian players, winning the league title there, is plain weird. There does not seem any rational justification for it. The Italians are mystified. They know how to defend better than anyone and know a fine defender when they see one.

On 20/03/2023 at 16:10, Carl Sagan said:

The squad is stale. It has proven itsself not quite good enough in tournaments, yet Southgate persists with the same players, many of who have regressed. There's simply no case for some of them. These are apparently the players Southgate "trusts", but how can he learn to trust other, better players, if he doesn't select them?

To travel to Italy, on paper the most difficult game in the group, without the defender who knows Italian football the best and has proved himself against the Italian players, winning the league title there, is plain weird. There does not seem any rational justification for it. The Italians are mystified. They know how to defend better than anyone and know a fine defender when they see one.

I think it would be a weird justification putting him the team because he plays in the country that we are playing against. 

I'd hope the coaches and players do enough tactical analysis not to need an inside man so to speak.

Now whether he should be in the squad or not because of his form may be a different matter, I have no idea as I watch no foreign football whatsoever.