The missing dog walker

Stive Pesley

I'd not been following this story particularly closely, was just just aware of it as a tragic news story about a woman who fell in the river whilst walking her dog.

However - as time goes on and they've started to finish their river search with zero evidence of a body it's become more intriguing.

Probably watched too much true crime on Netflix, but a friend just sent me the interview with her husband

My gut feeling is that I've no idea how someone would react in these circumstances so I'm reserving judgement - but the YT comments seem to have a lot of body language experts pulling it apart. Interesting stuff

Obviously I hope she is found safe!

A friend of ours went missing in September. Despite multiple searches of the river she was not found. 6 weeks later she was found under a boat. Yesterday it was reported a man up north had gone missing some weeks ago. He was just found in the nearby river, having apparently been there all the time.

I hope she is safe and well but often the simplest explanation is the likeliest..

It's certainly a bizarre one - and I haven't read all of the coverage of it.

To me, the key thing is why was her phone left on the bench, while she was still connected in a call?. What did she say to those on the call (or what did they hear or see)?. When the poice said they supected she'd fallen into the river I thought maybe she'd just gone to retrieve a ball or the dog from the river but then why no body?

Those poor kids.

Yep - he has an alibi and isn't being treated as a suspect apparently.

Which is why some of the youtube comments on his interview are a bit off.

In fact there is a YT video panel with 4 actual body language experts who all agree that he seems very unlikely to be responsible

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

It's certainly a bizarre one - and I haven't read all of the coverage of it.

To me, the key thing is why was her phone left on the bench, while she was still connected in a call?. What did she say to those on the call (or what did they hear or see)?. When the poice said they supected she'd fallen into the river I thought maybe she'd just gone to retrieve a ball or the dog from the river but then why no body?

Those poor kids.

This, I watch too much true detective series both UK and USA...a bit of a sleuth ?this has puzzled me also, At a guess she's for some reason gotten to near the waters edge and fell in, I neither know how deep the water is or how strong the current is, The experts who did the search where they assume she fell in have said " we have found nothing"

A couple of years ago a lad travelling back from Melbourne at night along Swarkstone Causeway(no lighting) lost control of his car, The car flipped over and the lad was never seen alive again.

He was recovered some 6 weeks later by the Family I believe caught downstream under some hanging tree branches, The theory was, Once the car had flipped he got out and was disorientated, Fell over the wall where the fields are a flood plain(they were flooded at the time)drowned and the body found it's way into the Trent.

This is certinly a very odd case.

I understand that the dog was found near the spot where they found her phone, if Nichola was abducted why didn't the dog follow her when she was abducted? There apears to be a fair distance between where they found her phone and a location where she could have been bundled into a car. 

Why was the dog near the bench where Nichola left her phone, was it the last place the dog saw her and she did fall into the river.  Nichola was wearing wellies and the river current is strong, if the wellies filled up with water and she was unable to kick them off she would quickly be dragged under.

Fingers crossed she is found alive and well.  

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'd not been following this story particularly closely, was just just aware of it as a tragic news story about a woman who fell in the river whilst walking her dog.

However - as time goes on and they've started to finish their river search with zero evidence of a body it's become more intriguing.

Probably watched too much true crime on Netflix, but a friend just sent me the interview with her husband

My gut feeling is that I've no idea how someone would react in these circumstances so I'm reserving judgement - but the YT comments seem to have a lot of body language experts pulling it apart. Interesting stuff

Obviously I hope she is found safe!

If she fell in the river wouldn’t they have found some footprints or slip marks or something? And the spaniel would help find her as he could sniff around. Seems very odd indeed. 

There seem to be a few things always assumed.

One is that she fell in, so there should be signs of slippage on the bank and a struggle to get back out - but what if she jumped in intentionally and made no effort to escape?

Another is that her dog would have been going mad howling / panicking, would surely have jumped in to save her etc. I mean sure, a lot of dogs would behave in that way, but you can't assume the behaviour of her dog would be like that just because it fits in with the idea people like to have in their head about dogs heroically looking out for and doting on their owners. Some dogs are dicks!

The golden rule in any such situation is to cordon the area off and examine it properly. It's the vital first 24 hours for obtaining any forensic evidence at the site. The police did none of this whatsoever and the bench even quickly became a tourist site, people going and taking selfies on it. There's apparently a derelict house just next to this site and it didn't occur to the police to search that either. It just seems as if they turned up, assumed she's fallen in the river and drowned and didn't think any more about it until folk started questioning the narrative and making a fuss. When the abandoned phone and dog are quite suspicious.

17 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The golden rule in any such situation is to cordon the area off and examine it properly. It's the vital first 24 hours for obtaining any forensic evidence at the site. The police did none of this whatsoever and the bench even quickly became a tourist site, people going and taking selfies on it. There's apparently a derelict house just next to this site and it didn't occur to the police to search that either. It just seems as if they turned up, assumed she's fallen in the river and drowned and didn't think any more about it until folk started questioning the narrative and making a fuss. When the abandoned phone and dog are quite suspicious.

Whatever the outcome of this someone is in for a dressing down at a minimum because its been a poo show.

If anyone remembered the old Rough Justice programme, this has all the old hallmarks. Find a potential easy solution (previosly someone with form or a learning difficulty) and never waver from it.

It is being reported that they are recovering a body from the river close to where Nichola Bulley went missing

Police have sealed off all roads near to the river where Nicola Bulley went missing.

A photographer at the scene near the River Wyre in St Michael’s on Wyre told the Mirror: "It all happened so fast. Police have sealed all the roads off." Lancashire Police have been approached for a comment.

This comes three weeks after the mum-of-two disappeared while walking her springer spaniel Willow in the village of St Michael’s on Wyre on January 27. She was last seen at 9.10am taking her usual route with Willow, alongside the river, having earlier dropped off her two daughters at school.

????

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

Just now, Elwood P Dowd said:

It is being reported that they are recovering a body from the river close to where Nichola Bulley went missing

Awful as it seems to say -I hope it's her and that the family can find some peace

Saw a clickbait headline this morning from one of the usual right-wing papers which seemed to see no irony in reporting Suella Braverman's comments about the press intrusion being an unwelcome distraction alongside them "revealing" Miss Bulley's last text messages in the same article. Absolute scum bags

Very sad news today. The whole situation has been a mess, no thanks to the awful police force running the investigation. Their media team have made the poor woman and their family a target for horrible stories in the newspapers and fuelled the fire for disgusting rumours on Twitter. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

It's no wonder the police's reputation is in the gutter currently.

11 minutes ago, SSD said:

Very sad news today. The whole situation has been a mess, no thanks to the awful police force running the investigation. Their media team have made the poor woman and their family a target for horrible stories in the newspapers and fuelled the fire for disgusting rumours on Twitter. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

It's no wonder the police's reputation is in the gutter currently.

not that I am defending the recent police action, how much are the media, social media and the 'expert diver' to blame with the constant speculation. The police were getting dog's abuse before they made that contentious statement, constantly having to justify there theory against media 'experts'.

Trial by media. 

The news media and social media tend to forget that whilst the speculation might sell papers and be interesting there is a family at home worried at the disappearance of a loved one.

I think some groups have difficulties separating episodes of Vera and Happy Valley from real life.

Edited by Elwood P Dowd