Curtis Davies

inter politics

I'd be dead against it, unless Curtis wants to move. That lump Bolton had on loan from Southampton, Dan Nlundulu, he was winning every header, holding the ball up and even beating defenders – although it always came to nothing. However, Davies's knowhow sorted him, and Roberts/Forsyth were then winning the heading duels. He became anonymous in the second period and totally dominated by our defenders. That's something you can't buy, experience and knowledge. It had been sorted out in the dressing room at half-time and having Stearman (now more a coach), Chester, Smith, Davies and Forsyth to call on, that's our trump card. As much as some fans moan about the age of our squad, they are proving to be as fit as any 20-year-old from other teams.

Edited by Macintosh

2 hours ago, GangwayD said:

Understandably for the first 10-15 minutes I thought Curtis really struggled and he looked well off the pace.

He grew into the game and by the end he must have been very pleased with his performance, although for me, when Cash is fit he comes straight back in. 

Really hope Curtis stays until the end of the season whereby we get promoted and can give him the ovation he deserves and then he moves on. 

Personally I hope he goes to Leyton Orient (his home town club) and has a great season for them then maybe returns in the future to coach or even manage us. 

Cheers 

Gangway D from the terrace 

Thanks Gangway D, I agree

Cheers

Jimbo Ram

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Disappointing to read some fans' comments about Curtis. He's always needed games off the back of an injury and the need to find someone to criticise every game, no matter how good the performance as a team, is wearing thin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but there are players who have earned the right to avoid pointless, over the top pelters. Curtis is definitely one of them IMO.

I've not seen anyone give him pelters tbf. Just people who think his legs have gone.

3 hours ago, Macintosh said:

I'd be dead against it, unless Curtis wants to move. That lump Bolton had on loan from Southampton, Dan Nlundulu, he was winning every header, holding the ball up and even beating defenders – although it always came to nothing. However, Davies's knowhow sorted him, and Roberts/Forsyth were then winning the heading duels. He became anonymous in the second period and totally dominated by our defenders. That's something you can't buy, experience and knowledge. It had been sorted out in the dressing room at half-time and having Stearman (now more a coach), Chester, Smith, Davies and Forsyth to call on, that's our trump card. As much as some fans moan about the age of our squad, they are proving to be as fit as any 20-year-old from other teams.

I thought Davies really struggled against him personally. First half got turned at least twice. Did get better the second half.

lad wasn’t a lump at all either, would love a striker like him in our squad.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've not seen anyone give him pelters tbf. Just people who think his legs have gone.

Semantics mate ?‍♂️  His legs were gone before he even joined us, but he kept a yard or two in his head and has very seldom let us down, whilst on occasions, playing through the pain barrier against his better interest. Just don't see the need for folk to be getting on his back when he's had no game time to speak of, we've not conceded and after a shaky opening 20, he's played well enough. Any player would struggle in those circumstances IMHO, nothing 'shocking' about it. As a multiple POTY, romantic old fools like me think he's earned some latitude and respect. Clearly not all agree.

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Semantics mate ?‍♂️  His legs were gone before he even joined us, but he kept a yard or two in his head and has very seldom let us down, whilst on occasions, playing through the pain barrier against his better interest. Just don't see the need for folk to be getting on his back when he's had no game time to speak of, we've not conceded and after a shaky opening 20, he's played well enough. Any player would struggle in those circumstances IMHO, nothing 'shocking' about it. As a multiple POTY, romantic old fools like me think he's earned some latitude and respect. Clearly not all agree.

I think there's a difference between stating an opinion on a forum/twitter and getting on his back though. If he were to score 5 own goals every game for the rest of the season, you could still say his performances have been crap without getting on his back or being disrespectful.

I personally haven't yet seen convincing enough evidence to suggest he's finished, but I don't think any of the "criticism" has been beyond the pale.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think there's a difference between stating an opinion on a forum/twitter and getting on his back though.

Not going to spend too long debating sematics with you and I'm aware as to the purpose of a forum though your explanation is noted. When Curtis is being called an embarrassment and his performances labelled 'shocking', by the same token, folk are at liberty to take issue. I haven't gone on some mad rant about it, I've merely expressed an opinion (a right you defend) for which you seem to feel the need to take me to task ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If he were to score 5 own goals every game for the rest of the season, you could still say his performances have been crap without getting on his back or being disrespectful.

Comparing a scenario where he's not been crap with a wildly improbable alternative where he would be is not the most convincing argument. And the premise that I need this explained to me I find somewhat irritating.

10 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I personally haven't yet seen convincing enough evidence to suggest he's finished, but I don't think any of the "criticism" has been beyond the pale.

I haven't said anything is 'beyond the pale' have I? Pure strawman. Not really sure what point it is that you're trying to make here, other than you wish to protect the rights of those criticising him, but not the rights of those expressing an opinion that wishes they'd cut him some slack.

I'm out ?

51 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

He, and Fozzy, have earned the right to do whatever they please when it comes to their futures.

New contact, no problem. 

Want to leave, we'll make it happen, if reluctantly.   

9 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

Linked with a move to MK Dons it appears

I just don’t see Curtis going somewhere for one years pay cheque. He has a young family, loves this club, is valued by the hierarchy. There will be a place for Curtis in some role here that has more longevity than a 12/18 month stint at a plastic football club in roundabout city. 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

I just don’t see Curtis going somewhere for one years pay cheque. He has a young family, loves this club, is valued by the hierarchy. There will be a place for Curtis in some role here that has more longevity than a 12/18 month stint at a plastic football club in roundabout city. 

But if Warne has told him he thinks this will be his last season as a player and Curtis thinks he's got another year in his legs then he'd be daft not to consider other offers....

Curtis Davies is a true modern day Derby legend in my book - his heroics risking his career against Sheffield Wednesday, and then standing by the club throughout all the mess last season, cemented his place in our history. This is his home, and he’ll always be welcome back here in my opinion. 

That said, I can understand if both parties decided, with a heavy heart, he can move on. He’s battling to be emergency backup centre back now really, so is only likely to play when injuries hit. It’s not unreasonable that he may want to play more football in what may be his final season in football. We’ve still got Chester, Cashin, Roberts, Stearman, Rooney and Forsyth who can also play there. It’s not like we’re short on numbers at CB.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We’ve still got Chester, Cashin, Roberts, Stearman, Rooney and Forsyth who can also play there. It’s not like we’re short on numbers at CB.

He's only realistically competing with Cashin and Forsyth, else why didn't Rooney play yesterday, and why was Curtis Captain?

8 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Disappointing to read some fans' comments about Curtis. He's always needed games off the back of an injury and the need to find someone to criticise every game, no matter how good the performance as a team, is wearing thin. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but there are players who have earned the right to avoid pointless, over the top pelters. Curtis is definitely one of them IMO.

Unfortunately It's part and parcel of being a Derby Fan. Players can be a Hero 1 week, and no good the next. Also, people forget that we are literally paying our players in tea and biscuits, theres pretty much zero other options, only players who want to play for us, and tbh, I'd much rather players who love to play for the club (like Davies) who have stuck by us when he could of easily left, instead of taking unnecessary gambles. 

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's only realistically competing with Cashin and Forsyth, else why didn't Rooney play yesterday, and why was Curtis Captain?

He’s clearly behind Cashin and Forsyth, not really competing with them. Probably behind Chester when he’s fit too (though not sure when exactly that is). Rooney is a difficult one to call because this is his first season as a senior pro, so you wouldn’t throw him into a big game yesterday as his inexperience would show. 

Davies is captain because he’s a phenomenal leader of men, but that doesn’t necessarily reflect his position in the starting ranks. Bird is the captain on the pitch, Davies in the dressing room.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s clearly behind Cashin and Forsyth, not really competing with them. Probably behind Chester when he’s fit too (though not sure when exactly that is). Rooney is a difficult one to call because this is his first season as a senior pro, so you wouldn’t throw him into a big game yesterday as his inexperience would show. 

Davies is captain because he’s a phenomenal leader of men, but that doesn’t necessarily reflect his position in the starting ranks. Bird is the captain on the pitch, Davies in the dressing room.

I believe Davies is still club captain and bird vice captain