Accrington Stanley (H) Mon 2nd Jan, 3pm KO

2 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I really hope we don't revert back to a 2 man midfield once Collins is fit again, we looked so much better today with the 3. Hourihane in particular looked like a totally different player and seemed to really benefit from the extra runner. Can't think of many teams in the division that would be able to stand up against that midfield trio.

Agreed. I’d like to see us persist with one central forward (alternate between McGoldrick and Collins) with 2 of Dobbin/Barkhuizen/Mendez-Laing playing either side of the central player. Then a 3 man midfield of Bird/Knight/Hourihane. 

Doesn’t get much more comfortable than that, like a mismatched rugby fixture… could’ve been seven.

Thought NML was gonna rip em a new one when he came on… he looked like a greyhound in the slips. Think he got over excited along with everyone else with his first opportunity to run at em! Nice to be winning so easily you can even enjoy the errors.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not every opposition team will be that bad though.

It’ll certainly make the decision of Warne a hard one to make for next week.

True they were poor but I do think we played a big part in that with how aggressive we were right from the off, they really struggled to cope with Knight and Hourihane's movement.

very disappointing second half after so much good and varied football in the first. The quadruple substitution was not a success. Wish he'd brought two on straight after the 4th goal and two a bit later on

Barkhuizen made Collins look very slow. Roberts showed what a long way Sibley has come at LWB

But it's difficult to make squad decisions based on a game where the oppo is so weak

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Agreed. I’d like to see us persist with one central forward (alternate between McGoldrick and Collins) with 2 of Dobbin/Barkhuizen/Mendez-Laing playing either side of the central player. Then a 3 man midfield of Bird/Knight/Hourihane. 

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to see going forward. If we sign a right back we'll have Korey Smith in contention for midfield too so I really do consider it our strongest area on the pitch, if we utilise it properly then I back us for a late autos push.

11 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I really hope we don't revert back to a 2 man midfield once Collins is fit again, we looked so much better today with the 3. Hourihane in particular looked like a totally different player and seemed to really benefit from the extra runner. Can't think of many teams in the division that would be able to stand up against that midfield trio.

100% that’s the best midfield 3 in this division so don’t change it. I also thought with no Collins up top we had to play it to feet more today and let’s hope they continue with that as most teams can’t live with us when we do. ??

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I guess can still be correct (and in this instance it was), but decisions shouldn't be made off guesswork.

Like I said, none of them spotted it. The 4th official guessed at what happened.

How can you say that so matter of factly when you're guessing yourself ?

First half we were a delight and could have wound up scoring 6 or 7. Yes Accrington were shocking but we can only beat what's in front of us. Our movement and pressing were a delight to see with swift passing with a lovely tempo. Didzzy is an absolute cheat code at this level, utterly nonchalant yet absolutely everywhere too. Wildsmith is oozing confidence as are Cashin and Forsyth who have a perfect blend of youth and experience with Forsyth mopping up for Cashin's occasional errors. 

Only downside was Osula today. Utterly stupid and definitely a red card, I'm just not sure how he thought he could get away with it. Of course Accrington are going to have needle when they're 4-0 down and getting humiliated in front of their 300 fans. 

Was nice to see the stadium looking so full today too in the home end. Couldn't see many empty seats and just a shame Accrington didn't bring a few more. I do also think the club should also look into doing season ticket game returns if people can't make it for certain games. Those ticket holders should also have the option to make their seat available and in return receive 50% of the ticket price back in their pocket. Too many times it says tickets are sold out in the south stand yet when i get to the game there are always a few around me not taken up. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

11 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

I agree and it made a massive difference with Mcgoldrick as the focal point up front. His touch and link up play takes the pressure off the whole team. 

All too often when Collins plays that role the ball doesn't stick and our play becomes fragmented and it makes us look like a hoofball team playing the percentage  game.

Some of Mcgoldricks link up play was sublime today. Accy just couldn't cope and we carved them open with ease. I feared that the scoreline could get embarrassing for them. They're probably happy to get away with just conceding 4. 

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I guess can still be correct (and in this instance it was), but decisions shouldn't be made off guesswork.

Like I said, none of them spotted it. The 4th official guessed at what happened.

How do you know the 4th official was guessing? Were you listening to the conversation? As others have said, even Warne thought it was a red card.

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

On that basis, ball goes out after pinging around in the 18 yard box and a player from each team has challenged for it...

Nearest assistant referee is watching for offside, furthest assistant referee is nowhere near in a credible position to give a decision, 4th official is dealing with an irate manager over a previous throw in that they thought was a foul throw but by the laws of the game wasn't...

Referee is in a good position but a player blocks his view at just the wrong second...

Sometimes, you'd have no choice.

(In that situation you'd generally look at the player reactions, giving yourself a few seconds of 'thinking time'. And if that doesn't help you, guess and run away quickly ?).

23 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

100% that’s the best midfield 3 in this division so don’t change it. I also thought with no Collins up top we had to play it to feet more today and let’s hope they continue with that as most teams can’t live with us when we do. ??

Spot on. We used the ball so much better and Knighty’s inclusion seemed to give hourihane the confidence to get further up the pitch with good effect. 

The back five were excellent again. 

Much better performance today.  Sibley looked much more comfortable and made some super runs down the wings.

Cashin was decent too, a solid performance.  Looks like Didzy was enjoying himself, and I enjoyed seeing knight.

All in all a satisfactory afternoon and start to the new year,  Much more than I could have expected last summer, which when things aren’t quite right and I feel like a moan is a fact I have to remind myself of…