God, I hate football!

Loughborough Ram

10 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

I thought the antics of Jose Mourinho on Wednesday night towards referee Anthony Taylor were an absolute disgrace, I would ban both him and Roma from European football for 5 years. I thought the antics by both teams were an all time low in football. 

Imagine if it was a Brit team. Same with AZ's antics.

• 2 weeks later...

'Pep' and 'Trent', dont these guys have surnames like everyone else?

All of the phrases that commentators and pundits use instead of the word cheating:-

"He's bought the foul"

"He gave the referee a decision to make"

"There was minimal contact"

Etc etc

Rule changes every season. As I've said on other threads, I believe in my lifetime there's only been one rule change that has actually enhanced the game and that is the back pass rule.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2023 at 18:01, The Last Post said:

In future goalkeepers must behave when a penalty is taken 🙄 a better idea would be for the penalty taker just shoot into an empty net 😁

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-goalkeepers-penalty-rule-8568887

I'd have less of a problem with this if they'd also stopped penalty takers fannying about and doing stupid stuttery run ups to try to get the keeper to commit. Just run up and take the thing in one single motion FFS. It's gamesmanship every bit as much as any goalkeeper shenanigans. Ban all of the dicking about or none of it.

2 hours ago, Kooklaram said:

My 1st rule change when i govern world football

When the ref blows for the penalty to be taken its game on, free for all, keepers can move players can enter the penalty area etc etc etc

That would put a lot of pressure on the penalty taker and could diminish the punishment for the infringement that caused the penalty to be awarded. The only way that would be fair (IMO) is if there were two degrees of penalty. If the infringement prevented an almost certain, or very high chance of, goal (a la Suarez against Ghana) then a penalty goal should be awarded (like penalty tries in rugby). In other cases, your suggestion could be fair. Such a rule would need a subjective decision (apart from in obvious cases - again like Suarez) so it would never work or be free from controversy.

On 13/06/2023 at 07:22, G STAR RAM said:

'Pep' and 'Trent', dont these guys have surnames like everyone else?

All of the phrases that commentators and pundits use instead of the word cheating:-

"He's bought the foul"

"He gave the referee a decision to make"

"There was minimal contact"

Etc etc

Rule changes every season. As I've said on other threads, I believe in my lifetime there's only been one rule change that has actually enhanced the game and that is the back pass rule.

The name thing happens in F1 too. I do it. Most people do. I don't really get why it's Lando, Lewis and Max. It is a bit odd 😂

I've not seen a football match in months. Not even the womens game which is much less infuriating. 

I think the best rule change was bookings for players taking their shirts off though. It's absolutely disgusting that footballers should even think it's ok to flaunt their bare chest. Back in my younger days even just the thought of a topless footballer would send me and boys on a rampage. Red mist would just take over and we'd lose control. Some things change for the better and as a parent you should be able to take a child to football without worrying that Drogba's nipples will incite the crowd. 

The deliberate prevention of a more than likely goal ends up with a red card as well, I was thinking along the lines of penalties resulting from mistimed tackles on the edge of the box and handballs from deflected crosses etc.

17 minutes ago, Kooklaram said:

The deliberate prevention of a more than likely goal ends up with a red card as well, I was thinking along the lines of penalties resulting from mistimed tackles on the edge of the box and handballs from deflected crosses etc.

It's not just about intention/red cards though, but also about where exactly an incident occurred; a clumsy player could hack at his opponent a yard out and concede a penalty where the attacker was almost certain to score. It would seem a bit unfair to give an advantage then to the defending team in a penalty situation. Unless, as @Tamworthram says, there are two tiers of penalty award (which I also wouldn't go for personally) you're always left with potential controversy where you'd need to draw a figurative line in the sand; for now we just have the actual line and if you commit a foul beyond it, it's a penalty!

I don't have any issue with goalies messing around though, as long as they stay on the line. Alternatively, if the goalie comes off the line before the kick is taken, and saves the penalty, just award the goal. (Assuming the player didn't feign to shoot before shooting).

On 28/12/2022 at 23:21, Loughborough Ram said:

Sometimes, there are things in the game that really p*ss me off about football. Here are just a few to kick this off but feel free to add to it.

Referees have decided that tactical fouls aren't automatically a booking.

Players have reinvented socks, making holes absolutely essential.

There is no such thing as a foul throw anymore.

Nicknames on the backs of shirts.

Nobody is ever given a penalty for wrestling at corners.

Half time takes over 20 minutes.

Offside is only given when the ball gets close to the goal, never on the halfway line where the offside actually occurred.

The new guidelines are telling the refs nowt new, merely reiterating, in most cases, that they need to enforce all the Laws that are there and not cherry pick.

Players have reinvented socks, making holes absolutely essential...... it seems someone got the idea that the holes in the back of the socks would reduce the chances of cramp and calf injuries. There's no substance to it but players follow trends. For instance the triple hop so many seem to do these days when they cross the line onto the pitch. I mean, WTF is that all about?

There is no such thing as a foul throw anymore...  actually there's loads of them, they're just not given 😉   

Nicknames on the backs of shirts... names on the back of shirts at all? Never needed them back in the day. We all knew who was who.

Nobody is ever given a penalty for wrestling at corners...  if the corner hasn't been taken yet, no penalty can be given as the ball isn't in play. When Davies got body slammed against the Red Dogs a couple of years back, it wasn't a penalty because the kick hadn't been taken. However, the Red Dog defender should have been given a red card for violent conduct. The new refereeing guidelines should see lots of cards and penalties for the all in wrestling at corners, free kicks and long throws.

Half time takes over 20 minutes. That's because the 15 minutes starts when the players reach the dressing room and they then have 15 minutes before they have to leave to return to the pitch. Then there's the obligatory chat with the ref about a decision they think the ref got wrong... all of which increases the time between the end of the 1st half and the start of the 2nd 

Offside is only given when the ball gets close to the goal, never on the halfway line where the offside actually occurred...  officials acting according to the guidelines they've been given. If nothing comes of the attack, FIFA believe there's no reason to stop play. The defending team still gets possession although this might now be up to 50 yards nearer their goal then where the offside took place. Why they took this stance might be that, if the referee's assistant got it wrong and the attacking team actually went on to score but it was wrongly disallowed for an offside that wasn't... the attacking team would be, rightly, pissed off. That has, unfortunately, led to assistant's thinking they can ignore close offsides as VAR would sort it out. Problem is, in England, only the PL has it. I can see benefit in letting close calls play out in the PL but in the SBC, L1 and L2 there's no redress to a wrong, late call as there's no VAR to verify it or otherwise.  L1 and below officials should call it as they see it and immediately. If they're unsure if it's offside, benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking side.

I'm happy with the announced nuance changes to the Laws as they should now be applied rather than ignored and the new instructions regarding behaviour look good on paper. Both stand or fall on referees implementing/enforcing them all properly. I think the opening weeks will see a plethora of yellow and red cards and that, slowly but surely, old habits will become the norm again.

On 31/12/2022 at 21:31, Andrew1 said:

Stupid rule that means a player injured in a foul, then has to go off the pitch, effectively punishing the side the foul was committed against.  Or even like it was yesterday, when your boot gets broken or needs replacing… ridiculous.

Came in with good reason. Designed to discourage players from going down injured when they're not. Also agree with the part of that same rule that says you don't have to leave the field following treatment if the offending player received a card for the foul or you are the keeper.

On 09/01/2023 at 19:41, Ewe Ram said:

The defender dancing with the attacking player to stop them gaining possession and allow the ball to go over the byline. Anywhere else on the pitch it would be a foul 

There is no Law demanding a player plays the ball. The ball has to be within playing distance otherwise the shielding becomes obstruction. Talking of which, how many times did you see an indirect kick for obstruction given last season?