Derby County v Port Vale - The Matchday Thread

Day

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Maybe it’s time to shake it up, give Smith and Rooney a chance.

This is a fair point, neither have been fit or available to Warne as yet. He’ll have time with them on the training pitch and may well decide to use them. I wonder about Rooney being of use in the back 3, he’s done well at cb when he played there earlier in the season, is potentially more mobile than other options we have and his youth could help with the fitness side of things. Smith could come into midfield to allow Knight to cover rwb the next 3 games and stick NML up top with Osula. 

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

How should we have won it ?

Is that a serious question? Went in at HT 1-0 up at home against a team of limited ability, we simply shouldn't be losing games from that position. Maybe don't give away a frankly ridiculous penalty and maybe don't get sent off for violent conduct and that'd help. Both incidents were utterly brainless and cost us the game. Needed calm heads and we got headless chickens.

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Maybe it’s time to shake it up, give Smith and Rooney a chance.

Our midfield could dominate against championship teams, in this league they are just a good team on paper atm. I'm just disappointed they are not showing  they're worth.

35 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The ref cheated, the fact we were  poor is irrelevant, the ref cheated. 

it’s pointless trying to compete when that happens. 

In what way do you think he cheated? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment but which decisions do you feel he got wrong?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So we were unlucky and deserved the 3 points ? We shot ourselves in the foot with the penalty and sending off but don’t see how we deserved the 3 points.

I think the quote was we should have won , not that we deserved to. We certainly didn’t help ourselves with some bad decisions by us. Neither did the ref or Lino either.

23 minutes ago, taggy180 said:

Poor result/performance we were never at it all game. Scored early but never really dominated and their long throws and direct tacics and ref dragged us down. Collins and stearman should never have given the ref a decision to make and we we missed the bird from last week 

Not sure I entirely agree with that. Could have, and should have, been at least 2-0 at half time if not more.  There were some decent things in the first half.  Not saying it was a stellar performance or champagne football but at least it positive.  

Don't think you can draw too many conclusions from a new manager's first home game and only second league game, where you give two penalties away and have a player sent off; even if they were the few correct decisions the ref made, that's quite unusual. 

Vale were no great shakes either. Apart from the penalties and the goal I can't remember much else they created. 

Just one of those games.

Edited by LazloW

15 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I rate Roberts on the left in that role he plays a class ball too, we’re a victim of too many big names that you “can’t” leave out of the team though who do you drop out of Barks or NML. 

Roberts has promise but his decent delivery is on a par with Fozzy's in terms of quality and frequency! He put in a couple of beauties early on against Mansfield but his crossing deteriorated after that. It has improved though as games have gone by, and for someone who was mostly a CB before he came here, he's a good technical player.

None of our wide players are great crossers. NML is another 1-in-5 sort of crosser. Barkhuizen may be slightly better - not so much on his left, but he can at least beat a man and centre it, as we saw today. 

7 minutes ago, Rampant said:

In what way do you think he cheated? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment but which decisions do you feel he got wrong?

1st pen, never a pen. Dive.

Red card. Use common sense. Rapid to brandish the red card. He’s hit the ground in frustration, just needs to calm the situation. If he’s meant to hit him (as I said in another thread) then the police should be in involved for assault. He obviously hasn’t meant to. Likely pen on Collins anyway.

A PV defender then shoved Collins to the floor. You can’t do that. Where’s the consistency?

Stonewall penalty on Sibley at the end. He’s set the tone all game and DOESN’T give that!!!???? Wow.

Stearman got snapped in half and he gave a free kick to PV. Don’t even know what to say to that. Shocking.

He was simply out his depth and swamped in a big crowd. Completely feckless.

Other than that, he was great.

Edited by Diego

That was mind numbingly crap, A goal up, Knight couldn't hit the target and shoots wide, He scores...we win, I'm down the other end for their 1st pen only knew it was a save when the South stand went up, Their 2nd if you put your hand/arm up and divert the ball it's a pen and the person should be dropped...no need what so ever to do that, Their 2nd goal came from a pass across our own 18 yard line straight to their player and 1-2.

PV had a plan, Just lump it into the box, Not knowing we were going to gift them 2 goals, Our play after 10mins was disjointed, Fragmented and anonymous...bloody awful.

The Officials were even worse, The one on the East stand side was poor, It looked like the other linesman flagged for the pen, The Ref...well, We're down with the dead men and these officials have control of the game, When I say control...it's their interpretation of control which was shocking and that's me being polite.  

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Is that a serious question? Went in at HT 1-0 up at home against a team of limited ability, we simply shouldn't be losing games from that position. Maybe don't give away a frankly ridiculous penalty and maybe don't get sent off for violent conduct and that'd help. Both incidents were utterly brainless and cost us the game. Needed calm heads and we got headless chickens.

Try answering the question, how should we have won that game? We haven’t been totally dominant in any league game this season and didn’t deserve anything out of todays game.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Try answering the question, how should we have won that game? We haven’t been totally dominant in any league game this season and didn’t deserve anything out of todays game.

The question has been answered . Their first two shots were pens. Both very avoidable. Should have had a pen at the end. 

2 minutes ago, Diego said:

1st pen, never a pen. Dive.

Red card. Use common sense. Rapid to brandish the red card. He’s hit the ground in frustration, just needs to calm the situation. If he’s meant to hit him (as I said in another thread) then the police should be in involved for assault. He obviously hasn’t meant to. Likely pen on Collins anyway.

A PV defender then shoved Collins to the floor. You can’t do that. Where’s the consistency?

Stonewall penalty on Sibley at the end. He’s set the tone all game and DOESN’T give that!!!???? Wow.

Stearman got snapped in half and he gave a free kick to PV. Don’t even know what to say to that. Shocking.

He was simply out his depth and swamped in a big crowd. Completely feckless.

Other than that, he was great.

I don't disagree the ref put on a masterclass of how to look utterly incompetent - but trying to see it objectively (not saying you're not) or even as devil's advocate, I think if Harrison does to one of our defenders what Collins did to one of theirs, we're all calling for a red. And I think a red was correct. Silly from Collins and he showed he had that in him from the very first game when he flew into Oxford players a couple of times. Reckless.

Seems unlikely the police will be called (though in principle you're right) but if the Vale team-mate thinks it's virtually assault, pushing Collins is the least he'll do. Yes, he could also be sent off for that. In my opinion, it wasn't as bad as what Collins did and probably not worth a red, but I wouldn't have argued if the ref had shown him one.

Didn't agree that Sibley was fouled, let alone a stonewaller, but he certainly didn't foul the Vale player. That was another joke decision.

Absolutely agree about the Stearman one. The Vale player was foot up on his shin - technically a very dangerous tackle and if he'd seen red for it he couldn't have had much complaint - I imagine that's why he himself hit the deck and rolled around a bit, which was enough to win him the free-kick too!

Ok, please let's not allow the crap refereeing cover up the poor footballing performance.

I'm not even concerned about the result, made harder by the referee obviously, or even the individual "mistakes" by Stearman and Collins.

What concerns me is the style of play. We seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. From overplaying to whack it long.

Sure, Warne has yet to settle in himself but I think we're seeing a flavour of what some of us feared. I'll try and be a bit more patient and judge after more games. I'm just a tad nervy.