Which players fit a Paul Warne team?

therealhantsram

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

sounds right what you say about Hourihane and Bird. Will be interesting to see whether Sibley starts. Any road up, Warne must be creaming himself at having Mcgoldrick at his disposal - surely the only thing that prevents him starting is fitness. 

Fitness is one of only two factors stopping me being selected for the Rams- the other is I'm crap at playing football.

On 22/09/2022 at 14:06, therealhantsram said:

With so many players signing for Liam this Summer, to play in a certain style, I am wondering which players will fit a Paul Warne team and which will be casulaties.

Warne's preferred formation is 3-5-2 with a high energy, high press.

First casualty I see if Mendez-Laing. He left Sheff Wed because he didn't fit into their 3-5-2. Wednestday play a similar style and he didn't work as a RWB.

Seems a shame as he has probably been our best player so far this season.

Who else do you think could lose out in this change? Who could adapr? 

Big tall ones ?

On 22/09/2022 at 07:55, Loughborough Ram said:

The quick answer to the thread title is, the players that buy into the plan. Some players will be happy to adapt their game and others less so but it's important that it's that way round in my opinion.

If Paul Warne is to be successful he must stick to his principles and get the players to adapt to what he wants, not the other way round. 

No decent coach will force a system on players who don't fit.  It's always been horses for courses approach, fit the system to the players available.  As we cannot sign players of your assumed Warne style, he has to work with what he has. He had Rotherham playing out from the back more this season as he had the players to do it.  We may see the ball moving forward quicker, but with a passing style rather than route one.

I think it’s less about which players fit a certain formation at this stage (we don’t know what formation PW will play yet) but it could be more about the players with certain attributes. Particularly important will be those players with physical attributes. Knight will be a big player, probably Smith too when he’s fit. Collins could thrive with a slightly more direct style.

A midfield 2 of Bird and Hourihane are not likely to be seen very often, as neither has the likely energy wanted.

3-5-2 Warne style.

Wildsmith

Chester          Roberts             Cashin

Mendez-Laing          Knight          Smith       Hourihane       Barkhuizen

Collins               McGoldrick

Sod it, let’s go for it!

……………………apologies to the Sibley & Bird fan clubs.

5 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

3-5-2 Warne style.

Wildsmith

Chester          Roberts             Cashin

Mendez-Laing          Knight          Smith       Hourihane       Barkhuizen

Collins               McGoldrick

Sod it, let’s go for it!

……………………apologies to the Sibley & Bird fan clubs.

Warne always selects a dominant less mobile CB as the Centre of 3 ( Richard Wood 36 ) who basically heads everything and is like an old fashioned Centre Half so see this being Davies, I think Cashin could be more vulnerable as his other two CB's are usually deeper and have a bit of pace can see it being                              Chester     Davies      Roberts

7 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On the other hand Cashin can pass short, long and also puts in good crosses (good attributes for a “spare” Centre back over lapping) while Roberts can’t do any of those very well.

I rate him but looks like he needs a breather to me.  Plays at 100% of what's in the tank all the time and he's still learning.  Don't need another Knight in 20/21 where has was utilised to the point of not being effective in the last 10 games. 

47 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

On the other hand Cashin can pass short, long and also puts in good crosses (good attributes for a “spare” Centre back over lapping) while Roberts can’t do any of those very well.

personally think Roberts is more mobile than Cashin and would fit the LCB role very well , would be harsh on Cashin but his lack of pace has cost us a few goals this season, be interesting to see who plays in the 3 as Rovrum's defensive record last season was very good especially away from home

On 25/09/2022 at 20:57, S8TY said:

personally think Roberts is more mobile than Cashin and would fit the LCB role very well , would be harsh on Cashin but his lack of pace has cost us a few goals this season, be interesting to see who plays in the 3 as Rovrum's defensive record last season was very good especially away from home

Let's ignore the fact Cashin has been our best defender so far this season...

If Roberts is LCB, who plays LB? Forsyth who is best suited to LCB in a 3 at the back system, or Barkhuizen who wouls be reminiscent of playing Weimann in that role unde Rowett?

Tbh, I'm struggling to think of a goal we've conceded due to Cashin being outpaced. Even if we have conceded under that situation, surely an extra CB in the team means would have a man covering if it were to happen again.

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Let's ignore the fact Cashin has been our best defender so far this season...

If Roberts is LCB, who plays LB? Forsyth who is best suited to LCB in a 3 at the back system, or Barkhuizen who wouls be reminiscent of playing Weimann in that role unde Rowett?

Tbh, I'm struggling to think of a goal we've conceded due to Cashin being outpaced. Even if we have conceded under that situation, surely an extra CB in the team means would have a man covering if it were to happen again.

Perhaps you should look again then as Cashin ( who I’m not saying is a bad defender ) has been out paced a few times…Plymouth is one that springs to mind …but there’s been a few we don’t need an out and out LB if we’re playing 352 so yes a LWB ans Barks may find himself in that role but in Warnes previous set up they sit high up the pitch 

let’s gets one thing straight I’m not saying Cashin needs replacing what I am saying is if you go by how Rovrum set up then there’s a chance Roberts fits the LCB more than Cashin but time will tell

Cashin makes good blocks last ditch tackles I get it but he lacks pace to play as a covering CB that’s all I’m saying nothing more 

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Perhaps you should look again then as Cashin ( who I’m not saying is a bad defender ) has been out paced a few times…Plymouth is one that springs to mind …but there’s been a few we don’t need an out and out LB if we’re playing 352 so yes a LWB ans Barks may find himself in that role but in Warnes previous set up they sit high up the pitch 

let’s gets one thing straight I’m not saying Cashin needs replacing what I am saying is if you go by how Rovrum set up then there’s a chance Roberts fits the LCB more than Cashin but time will tell

Cashin makes good blocks last ditch tackles I get it but he lacks pace to play as a covering CB that’s all I’m saying nothing more 

Not really. That goal you're referring to was the forward pouncing on to Cashin's bad touch. Cashin had slowed down to control it whilst the forward was at full speed.

Cashin, in a 'back 2' has conceded 9 goals in 9 games, the 5th best record in the division, in a team which pushes quite high up the pitch, yet hasn't needed a covering defender. Cashin will not be dropped.