Which players fit a Paul Warne team?

therealhantsram

With so many players signing for Liam this Summer, to play in a certain style, I am wondering which players will fit a Paul Warne team and which will be casulaties.

Warne's preferred formation is 3-5-2 with a high energy, high press.

First casualty I see if Mendez-Laing. He left Sheff Wed because he didn't fit into their 3-5-2. Wednestday play a similar style and he didn't work as a RWB.

Seems a shame as he has probably been our best player so far this season.

Who else do you think could lose out in this change? Who could adapr? 

I don’t think we should assume he will play 3-5-2 and stick a Ram over the Rotherham badge on his playbook, a decent manager/head coach should be able to adapt their tactics to the players they have.

Mendez-Laing is without doubt a key player in our attack, to walk in and dispose of him for not fitting his style would be a huge f*** up with us still under embargo for another 3 transfer windows is it? 

International break so I guess it will fill the gap with a talking point, however the boring answer is we will have to really wait and see what is served up at Cambridge.

Would have been nice to not have Cashin, Knight and Hourihane on international duty, they could be the first casualties no fault of their own, just until they have more time to work with Warne and understand what he wants.

20 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t think we should assume he will play 3-5-2 and stick a Ram over the Rotherham badge on his playbook, a decent manager/head coach should be able to adapt their tactics to the players they have.

Mendez-Laing is without doubt a key player in our attack, to walk in and dispose of him for not fitting his style would be a huge f*** up with us still under embargo for another 3 transfer windows is it? 

International break so I guess it will fill the gap with a talking point, however the boring answer is we will have to really wait and see what is served up at Cambridge.

Would have been nice to not have Cashin, Knight and Hourihane on international duty, they could be the first casualties no fault of their own, just until they have more time to work with Warne and understand what he wants.

I think that’s it. We know Rotherham aren’t blessed with resources, so how do we honestly know how much of his past is through need rather than want? 

We can speculate all we want, but if he’s as good of a coach as we would like him to be as we’ve hired him, we would want him to be adaptable enough to pick the best team, formation, tactics etc based on what we have for the moment until he can add to it with his own players. 

44 minutes ago, David said:

Would he really drop three lads from a tier 3 team thought good enough to be internationals?

I can't see it myself.

Edited by Grumpy Git

25 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Would he really drop three lads from a tier 3 team thought good enough to be internationals?

I can't see it myself.

For the Cambridge game possibly, they are playing Tuesday night with Ireland, let’s just say they get back to Derby on Wednesday, probably won’t train until Thursday and the following day the team will travel down to Cambridge.

I wouldn’t rule them out playing completely, I would however understand if they don’t start in that game.

1 hour ago, David said:

I do think though that because he's had success with 352 in league 1 it will be natural for him to go with what has worked for him 

The fact we played 352 in last game proves we can do it but I'm not convinced some of the players will like it 

He plays Richard Wood as his central CB and hes 36 and basically just heads everything and clears everything a bit no nonsense style so see this as Davies role 

The difference i see already is that the two other CB's tend to be quicker covering centre backs who drop off and I think Chester will be one of them but not sure Cashin has the pace to be the other 

NML won't particularly like the Wing Back role as he didn't at the wendies but these are challenges he will already know about

This is Warne's big oppurtunity with a bigger club with higher expectations and what i do like about him is that he has good energy and likes to attack and get the ball forward 

I do like possesion based football like City play as it gives you more control of the game and when you listen to how Rovrum set up it is more to counter what the opposition are doing rather than being dominant and having the ball so it will be different but he is now our manager and of course will get behind him and the team as per always

Do feel a bit for Liam as he talked of being so proud to be leading the team but he has looked a bit drained for me in post match interviews of late and maybe he's just not ready yet but wish him all the best if he departs as i suspect he will

Edited by S8TY

11 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Just been looking on the BBC web site and it looks like Rotherham were set up as a 3-1-4-2 formation for the last 3 games.

So if we were to go with that - 

----------------------Wildsmith

-------Chester-------Davis--------Cashin

----------------------Bird

Mendez-Laing---Knight-------Hourihane---Barkhauzin

------------------Collins------McGoldrick

or - 

-------Chester-------Davis--------Cashin

----------------------Bird

Knight --------Thompson----Hourihane---Sibley

------------------Collins------McGoldrick

Personally I'd love to go oldschool, back to the Bald Eagle days with -

-------Chester--------Davis------Cashin

Odhuoh--------------------------------------Forsyth

-------------------Knight----Hourihane

---------------------McGoldrick

-------------------Collins-----Dobbin

Edited by ramsbottom

Think Roberts might be more suited to one of the CB roles as has a bit of pace the central CB for Warne is usually very dominant in the air so maybe as this 

Chester           Davies           Roberts

The quick answer to the thread title is, the players that buy into the plan. Some players will be happy to adapt their game and others less so but it's important that it's that way round in my opinion.

If Paul Warne is to be successful he must stick to his principles and get the players to adapt to what he wants, not the other way round. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

With so many players signing for Liam this Summer, to play in a certain style, I am wondering which players will fit a Paul Warne team and which will be casulaties.

Warne's preferred formation is 3-5-2 with a high energy, high press.

First casualty I see if Mendez-Laing. He left Sheff Wed because he didn't fit into their 3-5-2. Wednestday play a similar style and he didn't work as a RWB.

Seems a shame as he has probably been our best player so far this season.

Who else do you think could lose out in this change? Who could adapr? 

Over the last couple of days there has been a lot of talk that Warne is all about fast and direct football. I don’t think there is a player in our squad who fits that description better than NML

Most at risk would be Sibley and Dobbin.

CF position(s) depends entirely on the style to be implemented. McGoldrick or Collins certainly wouldn't suit the style of play at Rotherham.

We're missing a left sided player (whether LWB or LW). We needed one before anyway with only NML, Barkhuizen and Dobbin as real options on the wing.

40 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

A 352 could be adapted hopefully to a 343 and that way we will get the best out of NML, Barkhuizen and Dobbin as inside fowards.

Are you using Knight as the RWB in that Formation? Can Roberts (not really an overlapping LB) or Forsyth (getting on a bit) be relied on to perform at LWB? Doe we waste Barkhuizen there?

39 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Are you using Knight as the RWB in that Formation? Can Roberts (not really an overlapping LB) or Forsyth (getting on a bit) be relied on to perform at LWB? Doe we waste Barkhuizen there?

Who would we play in that position in a 352? Knight is the best we have but far from ideal. This is presuming he plays the same way he goes with Rotherham.