Which players fit a Paul Warne team?

therealhantsram

It's worth saying that Hourihane had success at Barnsley early in his career who weren't a footballing side. McGoldrick under Wilder at Shef Utd. I think NML and Barkhuizen are reasonably direct players anyway. Knight has shown his adaptability in many ways. I therefore think our better attacking players will be able to adapt. Could mean Bird leaving though I suspect 

1 hour ago, TaahnRam said:

It's worth saying that Hourihane had success at Barnsley early in his career who weren't a footballing side. McGoldrick under Wilder at Shef Utd. I think NML and Barkhuizen are reasonably direct players anyway. Knight has shown his adaptability in many ways. I therefore think our better attacking players will be able to adapt. Could mean Bird leaving though I suspect 

Bird will be heavily utilised if Barlaser is anything to go by at Rotherham. No one touches the ball or has a greater impact on the game for them than him, similar type of midfielder to Bird too. 

Hopefully an upturn in converting our many chances, which will spell good news for James Collins. 

I think Collins did quite well at Lincoln when we went direct at the end, just had zero support. Be nice to get somebody in that old Bryson role, box to box and feeding off the knock downs at the edge of the area. Hourihane has already shown how lethal he can be there.

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hopefully an upturn in converting our many chances, which will spell good news for James Collins. 

I think Collins did quite well at Lincoln when we went direct at the end, just had zero support. Be nice to get somebody in that old Bryson role, box to box and feeding off the knock downs at the edge of the area. Hourihane has already shown how lethal he can be there.

Knight would be the box to box man, if we ask Hourihane to do that, he will retire by Christmas

3 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Well we have a small squad and are under an agreed business plan as PW knows so assume he was happy with squad available or he would have not dropped down a division 

I'm not sure why PW has dropped a division . . . . other than . ..  the huge Rams support, the 21C stadium, the vison of David Clowes, the history of DCFC, the chance to build from nothing, the good players we have, the joy of working in Derbyshire, the improved salary and security of a long contract . . .

3 minutes ago, StrawHillRam said:

I'm not sure why PW has dropped a division . . . . other than . ..  the huge Rams support, the 21C stadium, the vison of David Clowes, the history of DCFC, the chance to build from nothing, the good players we have, the joy of working in Derbyshire, the improved salary and security of a long contract . . .

Yes, but other than those?!

On 23/09/2022 at 07:07, Ambitious said:

Bird will be heavily utilised if Barlaser is anything to go by at Rotherham. No one touches the ball or has a greater impact on the game for them than him, similar type of midfielder to Bird too. 

My suspicion is one of Bird or Hourihane will find themselves unfavoured. 

I don't think Hourihane has the legs anymore to do the aggresive pressing that I think Warne would ask of him in one the more advanced midfield of roles. But his ability at a dead ball, his shooting from long range, his ability to pick someone out in the box and his experience are all things might lead Warne to trying to get him in the team. In which case he probably shoe horns him in as the deepest midfielder.

Meanwhile Bird is better on the ball, has better vision, has better positioning, tactical awareness, is better defensively and his reading of the game is better.

Bird is better suited for that role on most accounts. It's just whether Warne feels we need to accommodate Hourihane. It's also possible Hourihane gets accommodated for by playing somebody like Roberts as the Lwb and/or Sibley as a 10 behind Collins or McGoldrick. Something like

Wildsmith 

Chester Davies Cashin 

Bird 

NML  Knight  Hourihane Roberts

Sibley

Collins 

On 22/09/2022 at 14:06, therealhantsram said:

With so many players signing for Liam this Summer, to play in a certain style, I am wondering which players will fit a Paul Warne team and which will be casulaties.

Warne's preferred formation is 3-5-2 with a high energy, high press.

First casualty I see if Mendez-Laing. He left Sheff Wed because he didn't fit into their 3-5-2. Wednestday play a similar style and he didn't work as a RWB.

Seems a shame as he has probably been our best player so far this season.

Who else do you think could lose out in this change? Who could adapr? 

If he looks at the tapes from last season around December, January,  I think he might fancy Knight and Tommo as part of the midfield. And from this season, Dobbin’s ability to press could catch his eye. Wouldn’t be surprised to see more of Stearman and Fozzie 

A lot depends on the formation we'll primarily use. Looking st personnel, I'm willing to bet on 352, although a couple of players are tricky to place (Sibley in particular).

So etching like this?

Gk: Wildsmith, Anang, Loach

RCB: Chester, Rooney

CB: Davies, Stearman

LCB: Cashin, Forsyth

RWB: Mendez-Laing, Oduroh

DM: Bird, Tommo

LWB: Roberts, Barkhuizen

RCM: Knight, Smith

LCM: Hourihane, Sibley

CF: Collins, Osula

CF: McGoldrick, Dobbin

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

My suspicion is one of Bird or Hourihane will find themselves unfavoured. 

I don't think Hourihane has the legs anymore to do the aggresive pressing that I think Warne would ask of him in one the more advanced midfield of roles. But his ability at a dead ball, his shooting from long range, his ability to pick someone out in the box and his experience are all things might lead Warne to trying to get him in the team. In which case he probably shoe horns him in as the deepest midfielder.

Meanwhile Bird is better on the ball, has better vision, has better positioning, tactical awareness, is better defensively and his reading of the game is better.

Bird is better suited for that role on most accounts. It's just whether Warne feels we need to accommodate Hourihane. It's also possible Hourihane gets accommodated for by playing somebody like Roberts as the Lwb and/or Sibley as a 10 behind Collins or McGoldrick. Something like

Wildsmith 

Chester Davies Cashin 

Bird 

NML  Knight  Hourihane Roberts

Sibley

Collins 

sounds right what you say about Hourihane and Bird. Will be interesting to see whether Sibley starts. Any road up, Warne must be creaming himself at having Mcgoldrick at his disposal - surely the only thing that prevents him starting is fitness.