Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think not improving our league position despite the league position of opponents being on average lower than under Rosenior is poor. I wouldn’t demand promotion. Wouldn’t demand unbeaten runs. I just think 7th to 7th isn’t good enough when he had 3/4 of a season. 

I know you're posting in bad faith, but sure I'll bite.

7th to 7th is not at all relevant. Rosenior was a few games in, the position at that point isn't really all that reflective. If you really don't think we've become a better side in that time, I'd question your eye for the game. We played Wednesday off the park in the first half today, and have on many occasions played excellent football and didn't get the reward we deserved due to lack of fire power. 

The first stat you provided is absolute and utter rubbish. Teams 46 games ago have very different form to now, so who the hell cares about that? Just nonsense.

Christ alive

Some criticism of Warne can go too far but the attempts by some to whitewash and ridicule any potential negative evaluation of his time here so far is honestly f****** ridiculous. No surprise though because it's been the case all season.

As for the comparisons to Rosenior, the double standards stink even worse than they did a few months back. Some really desperate stuff.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I think it's been quite hard for Warne to be honest. The squad lack so much of the attributes he seem to rate. To be honest I personally don't really like the type of football he seem to prefer but it can be very effective still. And a fools hope that he might get it to look a bit more like proper football once he sharpened the squad and give them some much needed pre season training. 

Let's take this summer to heal the wounds we have inflicted on our feet by shooting ourselves in one and have EFL/ref's shoot the other. I don't think they would have let us return to the Championship anyhow after only one season in L1. We would probably got some penalties against us for clumsy defending in the box if we where to snatch a play off place. 

What I would love to see now is some smart business in the free transfer market and a team that really go for it every single game. And please not to many loans if it's not with a view of a permanent signing.

League 1 wasn't that impressing to be honest. Whatever happens we ought to be in the mix by this time next year.

Have a great summer!

Not sure what people are debating.... has Warne done as well as he could have? I think the pretty obvious answer is no. We could have reasonably made the playoffs, and there are multiple results to which we can point and go, 'oh boy, that was ugly'. Has he been an unmitigated disaster? No, he kept us in the playoff hunt with a squad thrown together who weren't built for him. Personally, at this point, I'd give him a C. On that basis, and the fact we are still financially hamstrung, Warne is not going anywhere.

We might as well all get behind the warne revolution and see what unfolds. I say that as someone who was and still is skeptical about the bloke long term. I do think we'll go up next year but i can't see him leading us to the promised land. Today wasn't that bad. We could have been more aggressive in going for the first goal and even second half potentially took a few more risks earlier but it is what it is. We've got another season in the third division where we can be sharks in what is a small pond. 

7 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Warne has failed this season. 

37 matches and we went from 7th to 7th. Richer men than me will decide his fate but he can’t come out of this season with his head held high. The 2 months of relegation form was unacceptable and ultimately cost us. 

People might say he couldn’t bring in any players but most season previews I listened to had us finishing top 6 with our squad. 

He’ll have my support at the ground next season if he’s in charge which I expect him to be but I wouldn’t be sad if he left. 

Despite the apparent controversy (!) this isn't far from my view, nor your other posts after this one.

On the one hand I expect Warne to be in charge come August and am fine with that, and hope he can bring in the players he wants. He hasn't by any means done badly enough so as not to deserve that opportunity. I also think, for the class (a lot of it "on paper") of some of our 2022 summer incomings, we were always lacking in certain key aspects/positions and couldn't change that (benefit of the doubt that Warne didn't miss out on free and brilliant players in January whom we didn't get to know about).

After that, I agree that if someone were to make him a better offer/Clowes were to change direction and pay him off (I don't think he will), I would get over it pretty quickly, and while he has far from disgraced himself keeping us competitive to the last kick of the season, I can't say I'm overwhelmed by either the style or the results.

I must admit I've tried to like Warne as our manager but I think his out of his depth, I would give him pre season to get rid of the players he doesn't want bring in his own players and see how he gets on. I would then give him the first 15 games and if there is no improvement then get rid of him. 

11 hours ago, The Last Post said:

It's OK to criticize and you make a good case for the criticism, There's 3 games...Shrewsbury, Fleetwood and MK Dons, 9 points in the offing and 2 points taken, Sheff Wed coasting at the top then lose to Barnsley, Forest Green and Burton, Drop points against Bolton, Cheltenham, Lincoln, Oxford, Football isn't a perfect science I wish it was, I still believe we had a decent season with the players we signed last year, LR did a remarkable job with the collection he bought in.

It's going to be a very interesting close season with comings and goings, I expect the minimum next season is a top 6 finish, PW said in his after match interview...we failed, Failure next season and DC has(if still here)a decision to make, It's his club and he gets to call the tune.

We got to be aiming for automatic promotion spots next season! Once he gets his own players in theres no excuses for him.

9 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

A significant factor in that run was the injury to Bird who was playing very well previously  and must have disrupted things

It wasn't bird going out the team that effected us it was warne changing everything around and messing around with the formation once bird got injuried! Warne cost us at this point of the season to try and play his formation and it back fired, simple as that think it's just time to move on and hope warne does it next season now

8 hours ago, Loughborough Ram said:

This subject is far too black and white on this forum, there is seemingly no middle ground, you're either a Warne man or you're not and both sides are so entrenched that nothing will fill the void between them.

Not sure, at this point, what anybody gets out of this discussion

I'm normally one to call out discussions that are mind numbingly binary but I'm not sure this is one of them - Generally it seems to me that there is a feeling that Warne has done okay given the circumstances. Some don't warm to the style or the person but with the lack of resources, the incredibly small squad he's done okay. On the other hand there are those that describe the season as a 'failure of epic proportions' those who bafflingly see anything from this season other than promotion is unacceptable.

For what it's worth, I'm an outlier on the positive side - Given the age, size and profile of the squad, playing 57 games - I think it's a fantastic effort. Our oppenents yesterday used 14 more players accross the season. Imagine if we'd been able to use 14 more players....

41 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

It wasn't bird going out the team that effected us it was warne changing everything around and messing around with the formation once bird got injuried! Warne cost us at this point of the season to try and play his formation and it back fired, simple as that think it's just time to move on and hope warne does it next season now

In the grand scheme of things we’ve done well with injuries this season. Yes Bird, Knight etc have missed games, but on the whole the medical staff/fitness team have done a great job of keeping everyone fit and healthy. 

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

If I were to do a seasons rating on Warne, I’d give him a 6 - 6.5. 
We should have achieved the play offs and haven’t with the players at his disposal. January clearly didn’t go to plan and we faded. 
Next season, the target has to be top 2. The league will be poorer next season, we have to go up. 

I would only give him 4.5

9 hours ago, richinspain said:

Steve McClaren had the money to bring in Darren Bent and Tom Ince, but still couldn't find a way to replace Chris Martin.

I know what you’re saying I just don’t think Bird is as crucial to how Warne wants us to play as Martin was to Macs way of playing. Martin off was never Mac’s first sub whereas Warne took Bird off today (despite bird doing well) 

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

I know you're posting in bad faith, but sure I'll bite.

7th to 7th is not at all relevant. Rosenior was a few games in, the position at that point isn't really all that reflective. If you really don't think we've become a better side in that time, I'd question your eye for the game. We played Wednesday off the park in the first half today, and have on many occasions played excellent football and didn't get the reward we deserved due to lack of fire power. 

The first stat you provided is absolute and utter rubbish. Teams 46 games ago have very different form to now, so who the hell cares about that? Just nonsense.

Somebody has already posted to say that the we got less points against the teams Rosenioir managed us for, under Warne. It’s not a perfect measure but it is somewhat relevant. There’s no bad faith - he came in to do a job. He came in to give us that bit extra and ultimately he oversaw a run of form that was god awful. 

We played damn well against wednesday in the first half you’re right. I have posted on here saying I was hoping Barnsley would do us a favour as after watching the first half today I fancied us against Weds in the play offs. But we’ve also had games where Bristol played us off the park. And don’t rewrite the past - they did. There has been a hell of a lot of criticism over what our play has looked like from many corners of this forum. If we take the last 6 games in isolation then yeah I’m fairly upbeat about what can be achieved next season but it seems daft to ignore the shower that happened before Easter. 

51 minutes ago, Mihangel said:

I'm sure Mr Clowes will be concerned by this.

Phew, he'll sleep better now.

Okay so argue against what I’ve said because you might think my criticism of Warne makes me look bad but I don’t look half as bad as your petulant sarcasm. ☺️

It boils down to which part of the season was most defining for us in your opinion. 

The 19 game unbeaten run at times felt like we were steam rolling sides on our way up but at other times we were very fortunate (Vale away etc). When the football was good it was a mixture of playing it around the ground quickly and going direct with purpose and at times was brilliant to watch. 

The run where we could barely buy a win felt like he’d taken any team instructions from the good run and said ‘do none of that, Cash just keep toe punting the ball upfield as hard as you can. You too Foz’ which I didn’t understand. White might not be exactly the same as Bird but you had a player who was almost as comfortable as bird in possession so when his injury happened we could have just tried to go along with that. 

Then it felt like we’d stumbled across a hybrid of a system that he wanted to play mixed with a system that we could fit our team into and I feel this was the first time he’d shown some real high end skill in his management as he finally adapted what he wanted to fit the players at our disposal. I guess it came probably a game of two too late. 

If I focus on the last 6 games (well the last 5 and the first 40 mins of yesterday) then I can see why people are optimistic about next season but it isn’t right to try and ridicule anyone who suggests Warne has fallen short of his own targets particularly when it was such an alarming run of form that curtailed his own expectations rather than a few key losses here and there. 

Clowes is patient and we’ll go again next season and I’m really looking forward to next season. I’ve enjoyed league one (refs not so much), I’ve enjoyed the papa johns, I’ve loved seeing so many away fans come to our ground because we’re one of the ‘bigger’ clubs here. 

As ever I’m excited for the summer. Who do we bring in? Who will we retain? Which youngsters might be around the first team during pre season? The buzz in pre season knowing we’re building a team without worrying about going into admin. 

I used hyperbolic language at times to describe the job he’s done mainly because it was bank holiday with a few beers but an honest assessment for me is that his season has been around 6/10. 

To put that into context I would have given Lampard a 6/10 and Rooney a 9/10. 

I’ve always been in the camp of giving managers time and a fair crack of the whip. I was disappointed when Liam wasn’t given the job, I was initially angry when Warne was given it as I lazily stereotyped him as a long ball merchant who can only manage small clubs. Then looking into the guy and listening to some of those podcasts, I felt he deserved a chance at this as I think there is much more to him than the lazy stereotype. 

I’ve only been to 7 away games in all comps this season, 6 under Warne so I’m not the best judge but from those games plus the home games I’ve seen, yes we’re more direct than under Liam but I haven’t seen this long ball style some people are still hammering Warne with. I think our best performances (not necessarily results as I include Shrewsbury MK and Portsmouth in this) we’ve had a nice blend of playing through midfield and going front to back quickly. Also, there is nothing wrong with long ball if it’s targeted, the Ipswich first goal at Pride Park is the best goal I’ve seen this season. It’s the aimless long ball stuff that is frustrating and to be honest I haven’t seen much of it. But I appreciate those who have been to more away games may have a different view.

In terms of assessing Warne, this season he was always going to get a pass and to be fair he’s done ok. We will never know how Liam would have done but to be honest I don’t think he would have fared any better. We’ve narrowly missed out on playoffs, we’ve finished behind Plymouth who were able to be more active in transfer window and have built a squad over 2 years, Ipswich whose wage budget is double ours and they spent best part of £10m on players (let that sink in a moment), Sheff W again built over 2 seasons and bigger budget than us, Barnsley who had a very successful January and came down with us, Bolton who were able to be more active in transfers than us and again have built under the same manager, and Posh who finished above us in the championship don’t forget last season and came down with largely the same team, and were able to go and sign another lower league gem or two - something we can’t do because of restrictions. Yes we could’ve finished 5th or 6th but that realistically was our best hope with hindsight and we weren’t too far off, it was also a genuine playoff push we finished comfortably ahead of mid table. Warne has IMO achieved the minimum expectation for this season and so has done ok, no more than that. In Derby’s history it’s the joint lowest finish ever, that context is important we should be doing a lot better as a club but we know where we were a year ago, we could have been way off this season potentially but with a cobbled together squad we’re not far away. 

Next season Warne will rightly be held to a different standard. We’re close now, we have a full summer of recruitment ahead which we’ve not had the luxury of for a couple of seasons. Yes we have restrictions but he should be able to put together his squad and mount a serious promotion campaign next season. If we don’t get promoted next season then questions will need to be asked and I think 1.75 seasons is a sufficient period of time to judge.

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

It boils down to which part of the season was most defining for us in your opinion. 

The 19 game unbeaten run at times felt like we were steam rolling sides on our way up but at other times we were very fortunate (Vale away etc). When the football was good it was a mixture of playing it around the ground quickly and going direct with purpose and at times was brilliant to watch. 

The run where we could barely buy a win felt like he’d taken any team instructions from the good run and said ‘do none of that, Cash just keep toe punting the ball upfield as hard as you can. You too Foz’ which I didn’t understand. White might not be exactly the same as Bird but you had a player who was almost as comfortable as bird in possession so when his injury happened we could have just tried to go along with that. 

Then it felt like we’d stumbled across a hybrid of a system that he wanted to play mixed with a system that we could fit our team into and I feel this was the first time he’d shown some real high end skill in his management as he finally adapted what he wanted to fit the players at our disposal. I guess it came probably a game of two too late. 

If I focus on the last 6 games (well the last 5 and the first 40 mins of yesterday) then I can see why people are optimistic about next season but it isn’t right to try and ridicule anyone who suggests Warne has fallen short of his own targets particularly when it was such an alarming run of form that curtailed his own expectations rather than a few key losses here and there. 

Clowes is patient and we’ll go again next season and I’m really looking forward to next season. I’ve enjoyed league one (refs not so much), I’ve enjoyed the papa johns, I’ve loved seeing so many away fans come to our ground because we’re one of the ‘bigger’ clubs here. 

As ever I’m excited for the summer. Who do we bring in? Who will we retain? Which youngsters might be around the first team during pre season? The buzz in pre season knowing we’re building a team without worrying about going into admin. 

I used hyperbolic language at times to describe the job he’s done mainly because it was bank holiday with a few beers but an honest assessment for me is that his season has been around 6/10. 

To put that into context I would have given Lampard a 6/10 and Rooney a 9/10. 

Here as elsewhere there's a lot I agree with in your comment and these aren't your most important points, but I'd have to say White is not a replacement Bird: going forward perhaps, and White with the edge on set plays - not that it showed yesterday - but Bird is a much better defensive player than White on the evidence of this season, and in response to your comment "so when [Bird's] injury happened we could have just tried to go along with [White in for Bird]" I would say we tried it - Hourihane and White - and as I recall at Barnsley they went through our midfield something like a hot knife through warm butter!

Also there was definitely a patch in which Cashin's radar (and judgement) was off, but to suggest he is just toe punting the ball as hard as he can seems a little ungenerous to his accuracy and ability.

14 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

This club needs a manager at the helm for at least 3 years! Look at the Nigel Clough years. He built a club over time, and eventually, it was that team that took us to Wembley. We need to give Warne time. I’m sick of the Mel years of hire and fire! We need stability and Clowes and Warne are the men to take us forward! 

Can’t wait for Season tickets to come on sale! 

Up the mighty Rams! 🐏

I have been saying exactly this for a couple of years now. Didn't happen over a few months, let's get a new manager,  new style with the same players. Oh no it didn't work, let's get rid again. It is that philosophy that has in oart got us where we are now. PW inherited this team. He Canberra judged on this season. Let him build his own team, let him at least be able to buy players. Then let's judge. Those of you who think we need YET ANOTHER CHANGE  need your heads checking.  Absolutely bonkers

He did ok, we should have made the play offs based on where we were but the officials in various games made a concerted effort to stop that from happening. We’re we better under Rosinior - no we were poor and very lucky to achieve what points we achieved at home whilst unlucky away. interesting to see what happens going forward.