Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

3 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

lso if we were to go up with the business plan expect us to struggle big time and watch a dog fight every game and is trying to survive. Does everyone really want to watch that again.

That's a very defeatist attitude.

Many people cite the togetherness brought about by a fight against all odds as a positive of last season's nightmare.

With our business plan being adaptable and relations improving with the EFL I don't think the squad we could put together would look any worse than the one we had for most of last season, which ultimately only saw us relegated because of the points deductions. 

Especially if, as you're hoping, the business plan is eased up to allow us to spend small fees. Why not take the chance?

Warne's a better manager than Rooney & Rosenior, right? Surely you would back him to be able to instigate a similar 'us against the world' mentality and give it a good go? Not just rule out any chance of us staying up.

Get a good summer window with restrictions eased to buy players for low fees for example have a tight good crack next season and go up as champions and then add to the squad then with no business plan

clear to see the players are knackered and have ran out of steam which I think will be addressed in the summer with more players in prime years between 22 and 27

Ideally, failing promotion this season, yes. However..

I'm not going to call these assumptions, but it would be dangerous to take any of these things for granted.

The squad Warne assembled last season had plenty of players in the right age bracket, also ran out of steam at around the same time. It was a squad who'd come down from the Championship though, and had enough quality to have established a very healthy (9 point) lead by the time it did.

In the end they had enough of an advantage to see them limp over the finishing line, but we wouldn't be starting next season with the same advantage. In this example, going up and coming back might actually be the better option.

for those not happy with warne now wait till we actually get promoted hopefully soon and look at his championship record this forum will be a sight to see. Maybe with extra money he can do a job 

Oh I think we're all acutely aware of his Championship record as it stands. If the only solution to him doing better than his previous attempts once he takes us up, even in 2-3 seasons, is the promise of him being allowed to spend money that's a bit of a worry tbh - we should be able to trust in his managerial ability, not just his spending power.

Edited by Kokosnuss

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Did he? Name me some players he used and developed from Rotherham's academy?

There are 2 I can think of that were any good. Ben Wiles and Jerry Yates, but Yates had already broken through by the time Warne was manager.

During Paul Warne's time as Rotherham United manager, several players were developed through the academy and went on to become regular players in the first team. Some of the notable academy graduates during his time in charge include:

Ben Wiles: Wiles is a central midfielder who has been with Rotherham United since the age of eight. He made his first-team debut in August 2017 and has since become a regular in the side.

Jerry Yates: Yates is a striker who came through the ranks at Rotherham United and made his first-team debut in August 2015. He spent time out on loan before returning to the Millers and becoming a regular in the side under Warne.

Laurence Bilboe: Bilboe is a goalkeeper who was with Rotherham United from the age of 12. He made his first-team debut in August 2017 and has since gone on to make several appearances for the club.

Richard Wood: Wood is a centre-back who initially joined Rotherham United on loan from Charlton Athletic in 2014. He signed permanently in January 2015 and went on to become a key player under Warne.

Semi Ajayi: Ajayi is a centre-back who came through the youth system at Charlton Athletic before joining Rotherham United in 2017. He quickly established himself as a regular in the side and was eventually sold to West Bromwich Albion in 2019.

These are just a few examples of the players who were developed through the academy and became regulars in the Rotherham United first team during Paul Warne's tenure as manager.

40 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Laurence Bilboe: Bilboe is a goalkeeper who was with Rotherham United from the age of 12. He made his first-team debut in August 2017 and has since gone on to make several appearances for the club.

Laurence Bilboe played 0 games for Rotherham after multiple loan spells. He "retired" from professional football in 2021 (23 years old) and is now a financial planner. Really well developed player under Warne clearly.

Richard Wood: Wood is a centre-back who initially joined Rotherham United on loan from Charlton Athletic in 2014. He signed permanently in January 2015 and went on to become a key player under Warne.

Certainly wasn't a "developed talent" under Warne, being 29 years old and had already played 100+ games in the Championship for Sheffield Wednesday.

Semi Ajayi: Ajayi is a centre-back who came through the youth system at Charlton Athletic before joining Rotherham United in 2017. He quickly established himself as a regular in the side and was eventually sold to West Bromwich Albion in 2019.

Sure, he "developed" under Warne, but he came through Charlton's academy and had 2 years at Arsenal. 

Edited by Jubbs

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Laurence Bilboe played 0 games for Rotherham after multiple loan spells. He "retired" from professional football in 2021 (23 years old) and is now a financial planner. Really well developed player under Warne clearly.

Certainly wasn't a "developed talent" under Warne, being 29 years old and had already played 100+ games in the Championship for Sheffield Wednesday.

Sure, he "developed" under Warne, but he came through Charlton's academy and had 2 years at Arsenal. 

There's a good reason why Ben has 3 letters before his user name 😁

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am losing the will to live, can we just get behind the team and Warne through until the end of the season. Or is that too much to ask 😥

Ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no river wide enough.....

But you're going a bit too far with that request.

45 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

It appears that during Paul Warne's tenure as manager of Rotherham United, there weren't players who came through the youth system and made a significant impact on the first team. However, here are some examples of players who have been involved with the first team to varying degrees:

Ben Wiles: Wiles is a central midfielder who came through Rotherham United's youth academy and made his first-team debut in September 2017 under Paul Warne. Then became a key player for the team.

Joshua Kayode: A forward who joined Rotherham United's youth system, Kayode made his debut for the first team under Warne's management in 2020, after multiple loan spells. He has contributed to the team's success and continued to develop under Warne.

Akeem Hinds: Hinds is a left-back who progressed through Rotherham United's youth system. He made his first-team debut under Paul Warne in August 2017 during a Carabao Cup match. However, he didn't make many appearances for the team and later moved on to other clubs.

Jake Cooper: A central defender who joined Rotherham United's youth academy, Cooper made his first-team debut in January 2019 under Warne's management. He had limited appearances for the first team.

While these examples provide some insight into the players who came through Rotherham's youth system and played for the first team under Paul Warne's management, it's important to remember that not all youth players will become regular first-team members. Developing and integrating young talents into the first team can be a slow and challenging process, and not every youth prospect will have a significant impact on the first team.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

During Paul Warne's time as Rotherham United manager, several players were developed through the academy and went on to become regular players in the first team. Some of the notable academy graduates during his time in charge include:

Ben Wiles: Wiles is a central midfielder who has been with Rotherham United since the age of eight. He made his first-team debut in August 2017 and has since become a regular in the side.

Jerry Yates: Yates is a striker who came through the ranks at Rotherham United and made his first-team debut in August 2015. He spent time out on loan before returning to the Millers and becoming a regular in the side under Warne.

These are just a few examples of the players who were developed through the academy and became regulars in the Rotherham United first team during Paul Warne's tenure as manager.

ChatGBT needs to do better than that

5 players, 2 who didn't come through the academy, 1 who retired at 23, and 1 who scored 2 league goals in 39 apps before being sent out on a series of loans and eventually sold.

My version gave me slightly different answers, with marginally better choices of player:

image.thumb.png.c4254b580246ed09e893f7c249021419.png

8 minutes ago, Oldben said:

It appears that during Paul Warne's tenure as manager of Rotherham United, there weren't players who came through the youth system and made a significant impact on the first team. However, here are some examples of players who have been involved with the first team to varying degrees:

Ben Wiles: Wiles is a central midfielder who came through Rotherham United's youth academy and made his first-team debut in September 2017 under Paul Warne. Then became a key player for the team.

Joshua Kayode: A forward who joined Rotherham United's youth system, Kayode made his debut for the first team under Warne's management in 2020, after multiple loan spells. He has contributed to the team's success and continued to develop under Warne.

Akeem Hinds: Hinds is a left-back who progressed through Rotherham United's youth system. He made his first-team debut under Paul Warne in August 2017 during a Carabao Cup match. However, he didn't make many appearances for the team and later moved on to other clubs.

Jake Cooper: A central defender who joined Rotherham United's youth academy, Cooper made his first-team debut in January 2019 under Warne's management. He had limited appearances for the first team.

While these examples provide some insight into the players who came through Rotherham's youth system and played for the first team under Paul Warne's management, it's important to remember that not all youth players will become regular first-team members. Developing and integrating young talents into the first team can be a slow and challenging process, and not every youth prospect will have a significant impact on the first team.

ChatGBT response again..

Jake Cooper - 0 league games for Rotherham (3 in the Pizza Cup in 19/20) and is now on his 5th non-league loan.

Akeem Hinds - 0 league games for Rotherham (2 in the Pizza Cup in 19/20) and was released in January 2020. Now at his 6th non=league club.

Joshua Kayode - 20 league games for Rotherham and only 1 goal (he's a CF), with 2 goals in 32 games in all competitions. He's been on a season long loan at L1 strugglers MK Dons and has score 0 goals in just 9 games.

Absolutely fantastic examples of Warne bringing through academy graduates.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

ChatGBT response again..

Jake Cooper - 0 league games for Rotherham (3 in the Pizza Cup in 19/20) and is now on his 5th non-league loan.

Akeem Hinds - 0 league games for Rotherham (2 in the Pizza Cup in 19/20) and was released in January 2020. Now at his 6th non=league club.

Joshua Kayode - 20 league games for Rotherham and only 1 goal (he's a CF), with 2 goals in 32 games in all competitions. He's been on a season long loan at L1 strugglers MK Dons and has score 0 goals in just 9 games.

Absolutely fantastic examples of Warne bringing through academy graduates.

Does make a valid point though... While these examples provide some insight into the players who came through Rotherham's youth system and played for the first team under Paul Warne's management, it's important to remember that not all youth players will become regular first-team members. Developing and integrating young talents into the first team can be a slow and challenging process, and not every youth prospect will have a significant impact on the first team.

1 minute ago, Oldben said:

Does make a valid point though... While these examples provide some insight into the players who came through Rotherham's youth system and played for the first team under Paul Warne's management, it's important to remember that not all youth players will become regular first-team members. Developing and integrating young talents into the first team can be a slow and challenging process, and not every youth prospect will have a significant impact on the first team.

It doesn't. The original point being made is that Warne does not have any real experience at bringing players through from the academy to the first team. He has two success stories, with one of those only becoming a success after leaving Rotherham.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

It doesn't. The original point being made is that Warne does not have any real experience at bringing players through from the academy to the first team. He has two success stories, with one of those only becoming a success after leaving Rotherham.

I think it does because its saying that it's rare to find a gem amongst the academy. Based on our academy team this season, I'd struggle to find any gems. Take a look at our academy league position, it's not impressive.

I don't entirely blame the academy for that, we sold a lot of quality for little financial return over the last five years.

I think the academy will take a while to recover, that's not happening without solid investment and it takes time.

I don't blame Warne for not trusting in academy talent but then that leaves us with players at the end of their careers who might also be injury prone and must be free agents and then we have loan players.

Loan players gong to teams to develop experience, not because they are the finished article or because they will always work out when they are playing regular first team football.

46 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I think it does because its saying that it's rare to find a gem amongst the academy. Based on our academy team this season, I'd struggle to find any gems. Take a look at our academy league position, it's not impressive.

Difficult to find a gem to sell on upwards when you're a Championship club.

Rotherham were looking to get players into their squad at mostly league 1 / lower Championship level, so despite what seems a reasonable churn quantity very few added value to Rotherham FC, is that correct?

a lot of people talking about rotherham, or other clubs both positive and negative.

at the end of the day its history and irrelevant to our situation. derby is a different job to rotherham and the only thing relevant at the moment is how can he guide derby county forward. 

i have seen lots of managers come and go at derby, do well here and do crap elsewhere and vice versa.  the bottom line is clubs work for certain managers and dont for others.

my worry at the moment is i am not being convinced by warne that he is a right fit for the club. it really is an important few months coming up, not just this season but the summer also. i will be watching with great interest what happens because our recruitment has to be different this summer, we have had enough time to play properly even with an embargo and that doesnt mean mopping up pensioners like last summer.

6 hours ago, Barney1991 said:

Why are loads of people moaning if the club doesn’t go up this season. After coming out of admin in middle of July with 5 players and throwing pensioners and loans into a squad in 2 weeks we are lucky to be where we are. Other teams in this league have had 2 to 3 seasons spending money to equip there teams. To be in with a shout in the first season is incredible to be fair. 

also if we were to go up with the business plan expect us to struggle big time and watch a dog fight every game and is trying to survive. Does everyone really want to watch that again. Get a good summer window with restrictions eased to buy players for low fees for example have a tight good crack next season and go up as champions and then add to the squad then with no business plan is where I would rather see if I’m completely honest. 

also the debate on rosenior and warne that I keep seeing on here still to this day. Warne has 3 promotions when having his own squad and choices in which rosenior had never managed. We were 9 games in when we changed which isn’t even a third of the season l. Players still fresh and we were 7th. I’m sorry but if anyone thinks when we got to the Christmas period and february and March with rosenior in charge that we would be in 7th is living in cuckoo land in my opinion. I think we would be 10th the 12th in all seriousness and if anyone disagrees then fair enough. 

clear to see the players are knackered and have ran out of steam which I think will be addressed in the summer with more players in prime years between 22 and 27. Evident to see as now I doubt we would see a same scenario of the port vale game where we were still going later on in the game or against Bolton where hourihane was still breaking into the box from our own box on the 82nd minute just isn’t going to happen now. 

id just enjoy seeing a full 90 minutes of play than 45 minutes of great play and then a second 45 minutes of knackered oap’s. 

for those not happy with warne now wait till we actually get promoted hopefully soon and look at his championship record this forum will be a sight to see. Maybe with extra money he can do a job 

i do see your point about going up.

but in my eyes its always easier to stay in a division to get promoted from one. you can get away with being a really poor side and still stay in a league, birmingham have managed it for about a decade now. but to go up you have to be a good side regardless of the opposition you come up against because there is not room for error.

so i would fancy our chances to stay up more than i would us get promoted.

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am losing the will to live, can we just get behind the team and Warne through until the end of the season. Or is that too much to ask 😥

Sadly it probably is. There's a handful of posters just itching for Warne to fail so they can say "there, I told you he was no good" - to justify their own negative agendas. No pre-season and no meaningful transfer window to bring in players he really wants rather than available loans and freebies yet, in a tiny minority of cases, not being given a fair opportunity to prove he and his staff are worthy of being Mr Clowes' choice as manager. 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Sadly it probably is. There's a handful of posters just itching for Warne to fail so they can say "there, I told you he was no good" - to justify their own negative agendas. No pre-season and no meaningful transfer window to bring in players he really wants rather than available loans and freebies yet, in a tiny minority of cases, not being given a fair opportunity to prove he and his staff are worthy of being Mr Clowes' choice as manager. 

I just don’t get why fans aren’t just enjoying this season, despite the restrictions, and celebrating that we have a club to support. 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

no meaningful transfer window to bring in players he really wants rather than available loans and freebies yet, 

to be fair isn't that why he was brought in? he has experience at working in the lower end of the market. he didnt arrive or expected to be throwing the cash around.

pretty much every club at this levels squad is made up of loans and frees. the only team that spend any decent amount of money was ipswich and that was still only 2 million.

Has our academy done the club too many favours over the last 5 years ? Players nicked for next to nothing , players we claim are much better than what they are actually producing at league one level , mel was obsessed with the academy and on paper in principle it seemed a good thing but it’s not really done us much good , seems to me that apart from The odd case here and there academies only really work for the likes of chelsea Man City Man U who gobble up the top talent including the best from smaller clubs academies and put them on large wages and make money from loaning them out until the gems show themselves