Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Indeed. They are much better players than we saw last night, why? Although I thought Bird was better than Hourihane.

Lincoln played without a main striker and outnumbered us in midfield.

We got nervous and then started making silly mistakes.

Wycombe is now a big game .

Liam please desist from Knight at RB and use him in midfield.

Jake Rooney has a role I’m sure but maybe too early for him yet .

Get back to basics Liam and stop trying to be too clever for this League  

Edited by Curtains
Spelling

45 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We have a very decent squad who look like they are getting worse as they 'gel'. Your point is an excuse that doesn't work. I can't think that Clowes paid all that money for us to see us drift further down the leagues. 

Getting worse as they gel? Give it another 7 games and if it’s the same I might start agreeing with you.

You talk about our squad - is it as strong as Ipswich and Sheff Weds, absolutely not. Portsmouth and Plymouth have squads that have been built over time, an established way of playing. 

It’s a new team, yes it has some good senior pros but let’s not pretend Liam has been able to completely build the squad he wants. We don’t have enough 24-27 year olds because we can’t pay transfer fees or loan fees, hence the old brigade free transfers and loans lads that have never kicked a ball in league football. 

It is a squad that come the end of the season should be around or in top 6 but to expect this team to be fully firing after 8 games given the squad turnover we’ve had is just fallacy.

Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

Getting worse as they gel? Give it another 7 games and if it’s the same I might start agreeing with you.

You talk about our squad - is it as strong as Ipswich and Sheff Weds, absolutely not. Portsmouth and Plymouth have squads that have been built over time, an established way of playing. 

It’s a new team, yes it has some good senior pros but let’s not pretend Liam has been able to completely build the squad he wants. We don’t have enough 24-27 year olds because we can’t pay transfer fees or loan fees, hence the old brigade free transfers and loans lads that have never kicked a ball in league football. 

It is a squad that come the end of the season should be around or in top 6 but to expect this team to be fully firing after 8 games given the squad turnover we’ve had is just fallacy.

Yes but the manager isn’t helping with playing players like Dobbin and Knight out of position.

Liam this Liam that I for one am sick of it. 

Are we allowed to have opinions 

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It's the start of the season, in one way talk of 'strong squads' isn't needed yet. Why is it a fallacy to think you can't get professional footballers to play well this far into the season? Last night was awful, we looked mostly clueless. I heard Liam in his interview stressing how we have to score first...but if we don't?

But anyway were are the signs that we are getting better as the season goes on? 

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Yes but the manager isn’t helping with playing players like Dobbin and Knight out of position.

Liam this Liam that I for one am sick of it. 

Are we allowed to have opinions 

Of course, I’m just disagreeing with some of them and IMO some are not being balanced enough with their viewpoints, understandable off the back of 2 defeats and even worse 2 bad performances.

I’ve seen various on here and on Twitter trot out the away stats over the past 3 years, don’t subscribe yet to that continuing theme, we’re creating at least 4-5x more good chances away from home than the past 2 seasons where we would barely have a shot in most away games (granted against better opposition). Last night despite being crap, we’ve scored two possibly legitimate goals (at least one) that have been incorrectly ruled out, Barkhuizen has missed a sitter the best chance of the entire game, NML squandered a good chance, Knight denied first half, we’ve conceded a dubious penalty and poor second when chasing the game.

Bird and Hourihane is an issue, I think we’ve looked better with Smith in there, I think Rooney could really do well in this team despite his lack of experience. He’s really got something. Knight would be better in midfield but has done well where he is, while Oduroh looked better in recent games he looked miles off it in his first couple, it would be a risk. 

As for Dobbin, I don’t know what his best position is but I see someone with talent who is clearly still trying to learn the game. He is going to be inconsistent. He’s not really ready in my view but they are the cards we’ve been dealt.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's the start of the season, in one way talk of 'strong squads' isn't needed yet. Why is it a fallacy to think you can't get professional footballers to play well this far into the season? Last night was awful, we looked mostly clueless. I heard Liam in his interview stressing how we have to score first...but if we don't?

But anyway were are the signs that we are getting better as the season goes on? 

If there had been dcfcfans about this time in 1995 I wonder what you would’ve been saying about the Bald Eagle?! That went on until November before we started to look a decent outfit. Similar turnover of players.

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Of course, I’m just disagreeing with some of them and IMO some are not being balanced enough with their viewpoints, understandable off the back of 2 defeats and even worse 2 bad performances.

I’ve seen various on here and on Twitter trot out the away stats over the past 3 years, don’t subscribe yet to that continuing theme, we’re creating at least 4-5x more good chances away from home than the past 2 seasons where we would barely have a shot in most away games (granted against better opposition). Last night despite being crap, we’ve scored two possibly legitimate goals (at least one) that have been incorrectly ruled out, Barkhuizen has missed a sitter the best chance of the entire game, NML squandered a good chance, Knight denied first half, we’ve conceded a dubious penalty and poor second when chasing the game.

Bird and Hourihane is an issue, I think we’ve looked better with Smith in there, I think Rooney could really do well in this team despite his lack of experience. He’s really got something. Knight would be better in midfield but has done well where he is, while Oduroh looked better in recent games he looked miles off it in his first couple, it would be a risk. 

As for Dobbin, I don’t know what his best position is but I see someone with talent who is clearly still trying to learn the game. He is going to be inconsistent. He’s not really ready in my view but they are the cards we’ve been dealt.

Why do you say the penalty was dubious.

It was a stone waller .

The fans were let down last night .

I don’t we will ever have an Igor Stimac or his likes again.

Derby need to play to their strengths and play square pegs in square holes .

Role on Wycombe 

19 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If there had been dcfcfans about this time in 1995 I wonder what you would’ve been saying about the Bald Eagle?! That went on until November before we started to look a decent outfit. Similar turnover of players.

I'd have said, he's an experienced manager he should know how to turn this around.

"It was littered with individual errors which is not consistent with the season we've had or consistent with the performances the players have shown," he said. "I thought last Saturday was a wake-up call for us in terms of our engagement and we came here and gave away a cheap penalty.

"That gives the other team energy and we also made errors that did the same. We still created chances but didn't take them.

"And when you're chasing the game you will get punished. It was a bitter pill to swallow but we need to take that medicine, come back on Saturday and give a much better performance individually and collectively."

1 hour ago, angieram said:

A few observations about last night's match.

Horrible place to get to, and get out of, traffic-wise. Ground didn't cope well with the Derby fans, not enough infrastructure, too much stewarding that did nothing! I questioned the sit anywhere policy and was told they'd sold more tickets than seats so wasn't going to be a place for everyone anyway. Resulted in two rows of our fans standing on fence behind goal and up every gangway.

I thought we played without urgency but I disagree with the cause of that. It's not Bird slowing it down, he played some fantastic forward passes to Sibley early doors. It's when the ball gets to Hourihane - it's an unnecessary step sideways as it's already with our most dangerous players. He's a bigger luxury than Lawrence in that he hasn't got any end product and he never drops back and does his defensive work. Lawrence did both. Liam drops him and we start working again. 

I thought Collins was offside and Mendez Laing wasn't. But officials seemed keen not to favour the 'big' club. We're seeing that time and time this season and it isn't going to change.

Penalty looked soft to me. A much stronger body check on Knight in second half not even a free kick (one of many), yet that a penalty? I don't see it. It's inconsistent. 

I lost my temper with Rosenior over the substitutions (sorry for the swearing!) Taking Sibley off, when he was creating, leaving Hourihane on when he was doing nothing. No way should a booked Hourihane stay on over Bird either. What for? A crap free kick that led to yet another counter attack from Lincoln. Look how many of those started from Hourihane losing or being too casual with the ball.

Cybulski currently could do a better job up front than Osula. Dobbin not strong enough, either, but he was occasionally wriggling away from his defender, played better than his replacement who should have done better with his one chance (did nothing after that.) 

Davies was off the pace but he was right to have a go back at the bloke giving him the w***** sign at the end of the game.

I thought Lincoln were strong, organised, fit and up for it. So were their fans, impressive all round. ??

Rosenior needs to wise up quickly to what wins games away from home in Division Three. Liam, here's a clue - it ain't pretty football.

Potty mouth ?

I can understand the possession football, I can also put up with the centre backs playing the ball between them at times because not every pass needs to be forced forwards if it’s not there. What’s really starting to irk me though is now we have Wildsmith stood in between the centre backs and they’re passing the ball between them. Wildsmith is not great with his distribution that’s already clear, the amount of times he’s nearly been caught clearing the ball is ridiculous so why are we putting the emphasis on him to come 30 yards off line, to kick the ball out of play the majority of the time. Football can be a simple game, there’s no need to over complicate it.

Went last night as a guest in Lincoln's VIP area. Met Colin Murphy who looks frail at 78 but enjoyed talking Derby. Then met David Clowes, I said "I have managed to sneak in!" to which he replied "So have I!" Still not sure he quite believes he owns us! Half time Lincoln fans couldnt believe they were winning, fully expected us to win comfortably but grew in heart at our inabity to score. Barkhuizen chance was the turning point I think, different game if that had gone in

The post in front of me last night played a blinder - helped towards missing some of the game.

Laugh of the night to the Derby fan arguing with the copper after the game who wouldn't let him down a closed off street...

Copper "You can't go down there"

Derby fan "Why not, what about them...?"

Copper "GO THAT WAY"

Derby fan "You don't pick on the big lads, just the little ones"

Luckily didnt see a single minute of last night's night game as paying my respects at Sandringham. I am very much in the "just relieved we have a club" gang but at some point there does need to be improvement in style and/or intensity of play to keep the same upbeat level of support going. Its a huge effort to support Derby away financially and time-wise (as we live away home matches are all "away" for us) and I really admire those who do it. They deserve more than these abject away performances. Those of us who can mainly only go to home matches are shielded from the realities of division 1 as Pride Park still has the same vibe but those travelling to all the away grounds trying to be optimistic are really living the reality of it. 
Its early days still with a mainly new group of players but as many have said, it seems to be getting worse not better. My concern is unless something gives soon and we can see some green shoots it will be difficult, if not impossible, for example to hold on to Knight, say, in January. Its different being happy to be part of a rebuild with a positive vibe to one with sorts of reaction on here so far today, even from those are usually the more positive and less reactive posters

9 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Luckily didnt see a single minute of last night's night game as paying my respects at Sandringham. I am very much in the "just relieved we have a club" gang but at some point there does need to be improvement in style and/or intensity of play to keep the same upbeat level of support going. Its a huge effort to support Derby away financially and time-wise (as we live away home matches are all "away" for us) and I really admire those who do it. They deserve more than these abject away performances. Those of us who can mainly only go to home matches are shielded from the realities of division 1 as Pride Park still has the same vibe but those travelling to all the away grounds trying to be optimistic are really living the reality of it. 
Its early days still with a mainly new group of players but as many have said, it seems to be getting worse not better. My concern is unless something gives soon and we can see some green shoots it will be difficult, if not impossible, for example to hold on to Knight, say, in January. Its different being happy to be part of a rebuild with a positive vibe to one with sorts of reaction on here so far today, even from those are usually the more positive and less reactive posters

Thank you for a well-balanced post and yes, you are completely right about the away experience. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to do it, but it's hard work at times!

And if I was Max Bird I'd be talking to my agent already. Good players don't become bad players overnight, unless they aren't being used correctly.

Jason similar, - he isn't playing badly overall, he's just not being played in the right place.

I think Rosenior is currently a bit over-awed by his "name" players. He's got to get over this and start making the tough decisions, based on winning some matches.