Lincoln v Derby (A) Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

No. You clearly said “…or even if you know what you’re talking about” @Tombo so you can’t unsay it. As I previously wrote I’ll get back to you on the rest. You won’t be able to wriggle off the hook I’m afraid though. 

If you give it some thought, is it more likely that I'm doing a load of backtracking to "wriggle off the hook" of an Internet stranger in a discussion which is incredibly unlikely to contribute to anything material ever?

Or rather that I know what I meant and my follow up post simply provides you context?

Clearly I've upset you for which I apologise. But that line, as I said, refers to the vagueness of your criticism. How can I even know if you know what you're criticising if you don't scratch beneath the surface? You're far from the only one who did this last night, which makes this ongoing discussion farcical because it was never supposed to be a personal attack on you.

I will read your response if you still want to provide one, and I do look forward to reading it, but I won't respond further. It's gotten a bit personal for some reason which wasn't my intention.

6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

8 games in, 2 months ago had 5 players, can’t pay transfer fees therefore relying on over 30s and kids some of whom might be future higher level players but have never played senior football because we can’t spend loan fees. Playing against teams at the top who are established, having been through a degree of pain to get there. 

Im hoping the negativity is driven by the heat of the moment after two back to back bad performances and people will be more rational in the morning. The level of transition and upheaval has been massive we were never going to be walking the league destroying teams at this stage.

If we’re here in another month after another bunch of bad results and performances I might change my view. I’m prepared to give it more time with Liam that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be held to account but it’s easy to put the blame entirely at his door, some players have been poor these couple of games. Bird in particular, can blame tactics or say to Max if you’re going to be a marked man you have to find a way to cope with it, that’s what you need to do if you’re going to play at a much higher level which most think he can. 

This is not the time to rip up everything and get a dinosaur (an experienced head) in. The teams leading the way currently in league one are managed by young progressive coaches who have been given time to mould their teams!! Well guess what we have a young progressive coach who hasn’t been given time (do not say he’s been here 3 years the squad is TOTALLY different) 

A very balanced and thoughtful post.

Go Away GIF

6 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

8 games in, 2 months ago had 5 players, can’t pay transfer fees therefore relying on over 30s and kids some of whom might be future higher level players but have never played senior football because we can’t spend loan fees. Playing against teams at the top who are established, having been through a degree of pain to get there. 

Im hoping the negativity is driven by the heat of the moment after two back to back bad performances and people will be more rational in the morning. The level of transition and upheaval has been massive we were never going to be walking the league destroying teams at this stage.

If we’re here in another month after another bunch of bad results and performances I might change my view. I’m prepared to give it more time with Liam that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be held to account but it’s easy to put the blame entirely at his door, some players have been poor these couple of games. Bird in particular, can blame tactics or say to Max if you’re going to be a marked man you have to find a way to cope with it, that’s what you need to do if you’re going to play at a much higher level which most think he can. 

This is not the time to rip up everything and get a dinosaur (an experienced head) in. The teams leading the way currently in league one are managed by young progressive coaches who have been given time to mould their teams!! Well guess what we have a young progressive coach who hasn’t been given time (do not say he’s been here 3 years the squad is TOTALLY different) 

You’re right of course but whereas the Saturday game against Plymouth was a cracking tie in which we were beaten by the better side on the day (one of those things), last night was a disorganised fiasco.

The players who came on were every bit as poor as those who went before.

One could argue that the offsides were a bit unlucky but the keeper, defence and midfield were all over the place and panicked in possession.

Calm heads are needed. 
Let’s not judge until we have seen the reaction.

Depressing result last night and there is no denying that football is a results based business. A manager is judged on results and that is true not just in football, so Liam wake up and smell the coffee. If that means playing percentage football for a while, looking for knock downs and 2nd balls, then so be it there is no shame in it and it is still football, though not as we know it.

However in the interest of balance our two offside decisions look very dubious on the highlights, particularly the NML decision. Their penalty was harsh but JK should be better than that, especially in our own box. Their 2nd was very scruffy.

We had more than 60% of the possession, a number of good chances and yet lost 2-0. Football can be tough at times and while we are trying to play in the “right” way we need a win

Who would be a football manager eh!

3 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Depressing result last night and there is no denying that football is a results based business. A manager is judged on results and that is true not just in football, so Liam wake up and smell the coffee. If that means playing percentage football for a while, looking for knock downs and 2nd balls, then so be it there is no shame in it and it is still football, though not as we know it.

However in the interest of balance our two offside decisions look very dubious on the highlights, particularly the NML decision. Their penalty was harsh but JK should be better than that, especially in our own box. Their 2nd was very scruffy.

We had more than 60% of the possession, a number of good chances and yet lost 2-0. Football can be tough at times and while we are trying to play in the “right” way we need a win

Who would be a football manager eh!

Balanced and level-headed reply. Agree with your sentiment. Two wobbles don't spell a crisis. We have a manager who cares and players who care. Hence I belive things will come good in the greater season.

Games like last night ultimately just make ones like Charlton and Fleetwood all the more frustrating.

We aren’t going to play well every game, it simply just isn’t going to happen, but it does mean that you have to make sure you win when you play well. Having the extra 3-5 points from those two games that we deserved and a loss like last night is much more palatable (and even then the offsides to me looked very dodgy particularly NML - if that is allowed we probably win the game). 

4 away games without a win and goal is concerning mostly from a confidence perspective but it’s slightly annoying now reading that we haven’t ever looked like scoring away. Just revisionist crap that undermines anything else genuinely insightful that might be said.

7 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We have a very decent squad who look like they are getting worse as they 'gel'. Your point is an excuse that doesn't work. I can't think that Clowes paid all that money for us to see us drift further down the leagues. 

17 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Balanced and level-headed reply. Agree with your sentiment. Two wobbles don't spell a crisis. We have a manager who cares and players who care. Hence I belive things will come good in the greater season.

The players might care, like they did under Cocu, didn't get us anywhere. We have been in crisis for so long, we need a manager who isn't learning on the job.

I just think possession football has had its day. how many really successful teams play it anymore? Man City may be the example but they are freaks and they work to win the ball back. It’s also a different level.

for me football now is about high energy, counter attacking and pressing, which makes our decision to buy dads army just stupid when we had a clean slate. 

A few observations about last night's match.

Horrible place to get to, and get out of, traffic-wise. Ground didn't cope well with the Derby fans, not enough infrastructure, too much stewarding that did nothing! I questioned the sit anywhere policy and was told they'd sold more tickets than seats so wasn't going to be a place for everyone anyway. Resulted in two rows of our fans standing on fence behind goal and up every gangway.

I thought we played without urgency but I disagree with the cause of that. It's not Bird slowing it down, he played some fantastic forward passes to Sibley early doors. It's when the ball gets to Hourihane - it's an unnecessary step sideways as it's already with our most dangerous players. He's a bigger luxury than Lawrence in that he hasn't got any end product and he never drops back and does his defensive work. Lawrence did both. Liam drops him and we start working again. 

I thought Collins was offside and Mendez Laing wasn't. But officials seemed keen not to favour the 'big' club. We're seeing that time and time this season and it isn't going to change.

Penalty looked soft to me. A much stronger body check on Knight in second half not even a free kick (one of many), yet that a penalty? I don't see it. It's inconsistent. 

I lost my temper with Rosenior over the substitutions (sorry for the swearing!) Taking Sibley off, when he was creating, leaving Hourihane on when he was doing nothing. No way should a booked Hourihane stay on over Bird either. What for? A crap free kick that led to yet another counter attack from Lincoln. Look how many of those started from Hourihane losing or being too casual with the ball.

Cybulski currently could do a better job up front than Osula. Dobbin not strong enough, either, but he was occasionally wriggling away from his defender, played better than his replacement who should have done better with his one chance (did nothing after that.) 

Davies was off the pace but he was right to have a go back at the bloke giving him the w***** sign at the end of the game.

I thought Lincoln were strong, organised, fit and up for it. So were their fans, impressive all round. ??

Rosenior needs to wise up quickly to what wins games away from home in Division Three. Liam, here's a clue - it ain't pretty football.

54 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You’re right of course but whereas the Saturday game against Plymouth was a cracking tie in which we were beaten by the better side on the day (one of those things), last night was a disorganised fiasco.

The players who came on were every bit as poor as those who went before.

One could argue that the offsides were a bit unlucky but the keeper, defence and midfield were all over the place and panicked in possession.

Calm heads are needed. 
Let’s not judge until we have seen the reaction.

Agree. I do think you’re giving our performance against Plymouth too much credit there though. Thought we were shocking from minute one, lucky to be 2-0 up and Plymouth (who I agree were excellent) fully deserved it, I saw a lot of parallels with Plymouth to last night even with the subs coming on and being poor. The main issue in the last two games has been Bird and Hourihane, think no one can deny that, Liam does need to look at it tactically but the players need to do better. Too many off it, Curtis looked like he hadn’t played for a month.

If that level of performance had been the norm since the start of the season I would be more concerned, needs an improvement. 

4 minutes ago, angieram said:

...I thought we played without urgency but I disagree with the cause of that. It's not Bird slowing it down, he played some fantastic forward passes to Sibley early doors. It's when the ball gets to Hourihane - it's an unnecessary step sideways as it's already with our most dangerous players...I lost my temper with Rosenior over the substitutions (sorry for the swearing!) Taking Sibley off, when he was creating, leaving Hourihane on when he was doing nothing. No way should a booked Hourihane stay on over Bird either. What for?...

Cybulski currently could do a better job up front than Osula.

Cybulski could do a better job than Collins tbh.

For posters who claimed Rooney was 'ruining Sibley', look what is happening to our three young jewels...Knight, Bird and Sibley all wasted last night.

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Cybulski could do a better job than Collins tbh.

For posters who claimed Rooney was 'ruining Sibley', look what is happening to our three young jewels...Knight, Bird and Sibley all wasted last night.

Disagree about Collins, I thought he got involved and brought others into play last night. It's the second striker spot that's problematic at the moment. 

Agree about the youngsters. 

Just now, angieram said:

Disagree about Collins, I thought he got involved and brought others into play last night. It's the second striker spot that's problematic at the moment. 

Agree about the youngsters. 

Nope. Collins hardly played a decent pass, he can't head the ball and rarely closes down effectively - he looks busy though as he runs around headless chicken/old Nugent style. He's like playing with 10 men.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Indeed. They are much better players than we saw last night, why?

The tactics are totally wrong .

The playing out from the back has become excessive.

Dobbin isn’t a winger .

Knight isn’t a right back .

We are playing 4-2-3-1 but the wingers aren’t protecting the defense by getting back .

Bird can’t play in a 2 .

Collins has no help or service.