Morecambe v Derby (A) Matchday thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Like I said AGAIN. I am not arguing with any one I am merely pointing out it is a little price to pay. 

Life will go on as will the game, just not this weekend

I agree with a lot of points made about the postponement tomorrow but we'll retain our tickets and hopefully we'll be going in the near future in mid-week.

But I think that having made the decision about tomorrow, the reality may well be that there will be no PL and EFL games until the period of official mourning comes to an end after the state funeral. So that'll mean for us, Lincoln away on Tuesday and Wycombe at home next Saturday will be put back too.

Just now, Brailsford Ram said:

I agree with a lot of points made about the postponement tomorrow but we'll retain our tickets and hopefully we'll be going in the near future in mid-week.

But I think that having made the decision about tomorrow, the reality may well be that there will be no PL and EFL games until the period of official mourning comes to an end after the state funeral. So that'll mean for us, Lincoln away on Tuesday and Wycombe at home next Saturday will be put back too.

My post is in the here and now and so fr the decision is one. One game is little price to pay (in my opinion). I don't agree that any further postponements should be necessary. 

For what it's worth, I think West Ham provided a more fitting show of respect last night by signing the national anthem. I'm sure the vast majority at games would do something similar and drown out the relatively small (but inevitable) number of dissenters. Yes it's only one game for us and it'll be rearranged but as previous posters have mentioned, would the Queen/Royal Family really want thousands of people (and businesses) to be out of pocket during a cost of living crisis? I suspect not.

They've even cancelled all tomorrows race meetings and moved the St Leger to Sunday which given the Queen's affinity with horse racing is pretty baffling. Surely she would have wanted them to go ahead which imo just outlines that this is nothing to do with what her or her family wants but out of fear of not being seen to do the "right thing"

I'm not looking for a fight and respect those who may disagree, just my opinion.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Tell me how not having a game on is the only way to show respect?

If the game does get postponed, I'll only end up doing a bit of DIY or maybe go on a walk with my boys. I imagine others will just pop into the pub for a few hours instead. Is that showing respect?

On the other hand, you could have hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country participating in a minutes silence, followed by several minutes of applause and a rendition of God Save the Queen.

Thanks, saved me typing exactly that.

The frustrating thing is yet again sport is being called out whilst many other events proceed.  You can go to the theatre, have a minute's silence then laugh raucously to The Play that Goes Wrong.  Is that respectful?

EFL and PL postponed "out of respect".  Horse racing too, today and tomorrow.  Rugby Union and Rugby League are going ahead, but observing a minute's silence and wearing black armbands out of respect. As is Ice Hockey. We await a decision on the PGA Golf (which I have tickets for tomorrow). Ben Stokes said that he wants "...the rest of the match to be played in “the Queen’s memory” and he's got his wish as this goes ahead.  As does the T20.

I raised a glass in her memory last night. More than one as it happens.  I'm genuinely sad she's gone, more than I actually thought I'd be. I will also raise a glass or two on the day of her funeral but personally I'd rather attend an event and pay my respect with a minute's silence. 

The Queen was passionate about all sport, not just horse racing.  If you could ask her I bet she'd say "Don't be silly, go ahead and enjoy yourself". 

I kind of think this is something we shouldn’t bicker about too much, especially getting ourselves in entrenched positions and almost falling out with our online “mates”. Games get cancelled/postponed/moved for lots of reasons, Sky, Illness, Internationals. I would have preferred the game to go ahead but just can’t get steamed up about it. And just maybe it’s a good thing that in the rushing routine of life something upsets the normal programme so we have pause for thought and reflection. Not particularly about the queen but about the passing of life and times. 

3 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Go to an event and pay your respect with like minded people or sit at home and watch Nicholas bloody Witchel, no contest 

Some people I see at away games are certainly not like minded well not with me anyway, wouldn't trust some of them to know how to show any form of respect for anyone or anything they can't even use public transport without cursing constantly at full volume openly taking drugs and abusing anyone who questions them and I would have thought that the lack of respect that some of these specimens would have shown could be one of the reasons games are not being played. 

27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Last night the EFL and premiership were discussing cancelling all games in the next ten days - it’s not like this sort of thing happens often 

True but the test of whether something should or shouldn't happen isn't an evaluation of how often it typically happens, otherwise there'd be a strong case that committing treason and dropping the atomic bomb (for example) are also OK.

Postponing three matches - especially while other sports continue - would be beyond ridiculous and, even if that inconsistency weren't enough, would also surely not represent the wishes of many in the country, let alone most football fans

13 minutes ago, cstand said:

Train tickets bought to travel to Morecambe on Saturday can be amended until 6pm on Friday through National Rail's Book with Confidence scheme.

These can be exchanged for a voucher for a future journey.

Information on this can be found at: orlo.uk/r49hR

I got a 100% refund for mine on Trainline, no admin fee applied.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Last night the EFL and premiership were discussing cancelling all games in the next ten days - it’s not like this sort of thing happens often 

Hopefully after they judge the mood around the weekend cancellations, they'll not bother cancelling games for the next week too.

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

The frustrating thing is yet again sport is being called out whilst many other events proceed.  You can go to the theatre, have a minute's silence then laugh raucously to The Play that Goes Wrong.  Is that respectful?

EFL and PL postponed "out of respect".  Horse racing too, today and tomorrow.  Rugby Union and Rugby League are going ahead, but observing a minute's silence and wearing black armbands out of respect. As is Ice Hockey. We await a decision on the PGA Golf (which I have tickets for tomorrow)Ben Stokes said that he wants "...the rest of the match to be played in “the Queen’s memory” and he's got his wish as this goes ahead.  As does the T20.

I raised a glass in her memory last night. More than one as it happens.  I'm genuinely sad she's gone, more than I actually thought I'd be. I will also raise a glass or two on the day of her funeral but personally I'd rather attend an event and pay my respect with a minute's silence. 

The Queen was passionate about all sport, not just horse racing.  If you could ask her I bet she'd say "Don't be silly, go ahead and enjoy yourself". 

So the PGA has decided to resume tomorrow, which on a personal level I am pleased about and will happily attend.  They have said that flags will remain at half mast throughout the course, and they are to make black ribbons available for attendees to wear, an offer I'll take up. They are also halting play at 0950 for 2 minutes' silence across the venue and showing King Charles' proclamation on screens in the Championship Village at 10am.  In my view this is a good example of "carry on" whilst still showing respect.