Worst Towns in the UK

sage

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Crosby's nice. Are you mixing it up with somewhere else?

Oh and Birkenhead isn't in Liverpool. It's across the water.

I guess i depends on your definition of nice I didn’t like it at all.

Ok fair enough sorry let’s just take Liverpool out of my comment, however Birkenhead was horrible. 

I think Derby is a dump. Not Derbyshire but Derby is. 

I live in Alvaston btw so it's not snobbery. 

Quad ugly, velodrome ugly, city center very ugly, that fountain thing, Assembly rooms... 

I've been working in City Center and parts that used to have character are just either dead or patrolled by drunks or chavs. 

I work in places like Stoke and I think it's not massively different now. It used to be worse than Derby. 

I work in Notts and even the roughest areas I've been like Hyson Green have many nice buildings. And the actual city center is much nicer imo. 

Alvaston where I live... It's full of traffic, ugly buildings, boy racers, awful condition roads, traffic light central and HMO's. 

Definitley want to get away asap. 

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think Derby is a dump. Not Derbyshire but Derby is. 

I live in Alvaston btw so it's not snobbery. 

Quad ugly, velodrome ugly, city center very ugly, that fountain thing, Assembly rooms... 

I've been working in City Center and parts that used to have character are just either dead or patrolled by drunks or chavs. 

I work in places like Stoke and I think it's not massively different now. It used to be worse than Derby. 

I work in Notts and even the roughest areas I've been like Hyson Green have many nice buildings. And the actual city center is much nicer imo. 

Alvaston where I live... It's full of traffic, ugly buildings, boy racers, awful condition roads, traffic light central and HMO's. 

Definitley want to get away asap. 

Derby no more a dump than any other City. 
Has some great buildings all around apart from near the Derbion , especially around The Strand , Friar Gate , Sadler Gate etc 
I was in Cambridge a few weeks ago. Far more beggars and druggies there. 
Not been to Alvo for a while so can’t comment on that but. 
Notts City apart from a few streets around Hockley is much worse than Derby. 
There are some great houses on Dairy House Road , Hartington Street area but like Hyson Green you wouldn’t want to live there. 
Just think that folk get a bit snow blind to what is near to them .

From experience:

Luton - just urgh, nothing more to say

High Wycombe - a smaller version of Luton

Aylesbury - far too local, sitting like a zit right in the middle of the Chiltern's Area of Natural Beauty

Merthyr Tydfil - a dive, not somewhere to make eye contact, but, bizarrely with one particularly great curry house 

Coventry is pretty grim - tbh the common theme with many mentioned here is the post WWII development. I could list pretty much every Essex town and the likes of Slough, Luton and others already commented on. But those town planners from the 1950s have a lot to answer for.

I realised during this thread I've never been to Leicester except to the football grounds. 

But I was saying I think Derby is a dump to a customer once and he was from Leicester saying Leicester is nicer but he prefers Notts. 

I always imagined Leicester to be worse than Derby and Notts. 

Middlesbrough is one of the worst places I can think of. 

I grew up in Alvo and I agree it's definitely got rougher in some areas, with allot of buy-to-lets, drug-dealers and far less of a community than when I was growing up there, though it's not exactly Watts in the 1960s. It always had its troublemakers, but which working-class areas of Derby didn't? My folks lived there all their married life, and knew everyone on the street when I was a kid, but by the time they passed they barely knew anyone because the residents were so transient. The area around the two churches is OK, and the newer end of Boulton Moor, but allot of the older housing stock is a bit neglected. I like visiting, but I won't be moving back in.

Other places I've lived that I wouldn't want to go back to : Nuneaton, Gravelly Hill in Brum, and Peterborough, but I found something likeable about all the others. All my experiences of New Towns tells me to steer well clear too.

As for London, it's very much a Marmite place, but if you have the income to live comfortably, it can be brilliant. If you're skint, it can be awful. As an outsider, I always knew I'd be looking to move away eventually and fortunately never got stuck there.

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

You've obviously never been to Slough.....

The thing about new towns like Slough, Bracknell, Basingstoke, Woking and so on is that they all tend to be in the wealthy South. They suffer from concrete 60s architecture and being designed for the car... but because the inhabitants are in general better off than the average, there tends to be low levels of crime, lower levels of poverty, less vandalism, less drug dependency and more shops on the high street. I dare say, for example, that every one of those new towns has a Waitrose.

Sadly, the real "worse towns" are in the former great industrial heartlands of the North. Places like Middlesbrough, Blackpool, Hull, Rotherham, Blackburn, Burnley, Grimsby, Bradford, Doncaster and so on. Here's a handy map to tell you where they are.

image.thumb.png.8fe35e49e6b08dee9e4af11a0bddac68.png

5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The thing about new towns like Slough, Bracknell, Basingstoke, Woking and so on is that they all tend to be in the wealthy South. They suffer from concrete 60s architecture and being designed for the car... but because the inhabitants are in general better off than the average, there tends to be low levels of crime, lower levels of poverty, less vandalism, less drug dependency and more shops on the high street. I dare say, for example, that every one of those new towns has a Waitrose.

Sadly, the real "worse towns" are in the former great industrial heartlands of the North. Places like Middlesbrough, Blackpool, Hull, Rotherham, Blackburn, Burnley, Grimsby, Bradford, Doncaster and so on. Here's a handy map to tell you where they are.

image.thumb.png.8fe35e49e6b08dee9e4af11a0bddac68.png

I based my opinion purely on having spent 2 months working in the hideous place - and I can assure you that while there may statistically be less crime than other places, but there are still large numbers of very skanky people....

51 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

And that's England - get yourself to some of the places on the M8 corridor in Scotland - Bathgate, Cumbernauld, Wishaw, Hamilton. Euurgghhhh!

Swindon

Wolverhampton

Accrington (though makes a fantastic away day for a match, as anyone who was at the FA Cup tie will recall I'm sure)

Three of the most run-down town centres I have ever seen. Wolverhampton and Accrington both show signs of having been so much nicer in years gone by too, which makes it even worse. Swindon doesn't....

6 hours ago, Bwash_Ram said:

Darlington in the north

Basingstoke in the south

Walsall in the mids

Basingstoke in Westphalia?

/you need to know your Python to understand that reference, so on with the pixie hats and bring out the skating vicar.