Worst Towns in the UK

sage

The odd thing about Derby is that it has decent bits and less decent bits but they're all kind of mashed in together. I have no reason to go back other than for football so it's always interesting. A couple of highlights from my previous visit were to go to the the Silk Mill and Dolphin pubs rather than the Standing Order! That was nice. Even went to the Neptune for the first time, that was interesting. The Museum of making is absolutely brilliant and a nostalgic trip down Normanton Road I loved, we always go down there and do a great big larder shop when we're back.

If you're looking for places with few positives, Swansea is hard to beat, truly terrible. Holyhead is possibly the bottom of the ladder though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/09/2022 at 13:41, Bob The Badger said:

1st - Scunthorpe - The overwhelming champion.  Literally no redeeming feature whatsoever, other than you can get out of it quickly onto the M180 and back to civilisation. Possibly the whitest large town I have ever stayed in.

I find it hard to believe that Scunthorpe is the worst place in the UK. I worked there in the early 1970s and I thought it was much nicer than Derby. It seemed like a model town to me. As you walked out of the railway station towards the centre of the town you passed the sorting office, the fire station, the police station, the hospital and a cinema all close together on the same road. This is going back 50 years so my memory of this might be wrong. Between these buildings you had public gardens and nice detached houses with big gardens. This was all a short distance from the High Street. At the bottom of the High Street they had a new library with a cinema in the basement. I was working away from home so I spent quite a bit of time wandering around Scunthorpe. They had some very nice parks.

The library cinema often showed foreign films and old black and white classics. The latter were far more impressive when you saw them on a big screen. You were given notes about the film when you went in and there was a discussion afterwards. Intellectuals and pseudo-intellectuals, like myself, were well catered for in Scunthorpe.

On the other hand, the Scunthorpe pubs seemed a bit rougher than the Derby ones. This was because the proportion of men in Scunthorpe who were doing heavy manual work was greater than in Derby. Most of them seemed to work in construction or at the steel works. Despite the hard work they were doing more than a few of them had enough energy left to start pub punch ups. I soon learned which pubs to avoid.

I’ve always thought Birmingham was fairly dire but that’s only based on a few walks around the City centre and Sparkhill. If your only impression of Derby was walking up Normanton Road then you’d get a false impression of Derby.