Two tier world

Archied

On 26/07/2022 at 00:02, cstand said:

So if you are thinking nationalisation 70s style it will never work

Well, obviously not. You'd hope that lessons would have been learned from those days, and equally lessons learned from the days since when private interests have milked our utilities for profit at the expense of things like general maintenance.

I had an uncle who worked for the council maintaining the sewers/water supply back before privatisation, and they had a full team of people who would be out every day checking and maintaining the infrastructure.

Then Severn Trent took it on and realised they could make bigger profits by not having that team/work schedule and just having a smaller pool of people who went out and fixed stuff only when it broke. Hence now when a water main bursts we all go without water for 24-48 hours while they work on mending it. Good for them - not so good for us

But back to your point, things are very different now in terms of IT and modernisation, so a nationalised service couldn't fail to be far more efficient. 

Nonetheless - even in the scenario you paint above, at least there were people in employment, and public money was being paid into their pockets, which they would spend in the local economy. As opposed to all the public money being funnelled slowly into Tax Havens 

I'm not a person that is prone to anger, I can get a little pi$$ed off but looking at todays newspaper headlines on the tinternet concerning mega profits for Centrica and Shell has got me annoyed, How on earth have we as a society got to this, I'm like others who are going to be hit with huge energy bills this Winter, The Government have put plans in place to support us, I'm off shopping later knowing that what I paid for 2 weeks ago I'll be paying a little more today.

Privatisation by the Thatcher Government in the 80s/90s has shown what has happened and this threads headline of a Two tier world is a little misleading, There's those that have, There's those that can, There's those that make do and mend and there's those that just can't manage.

Ofgem are the ones that set energy Cap Prices...how can an organisation like this let loose the big 5/6 energy companies on the public, I understand Gas prices are rising due to the Ukraine War, But we only import circa 5% of our gas, How come then are we being thrown to the wolves like this...this I do not understand.

I'm on a fixed rate with British Gas until July 23, I think I'm a little lucky as what I was paying before at £34 a month has trebled to £98 per month, I'm reading there's people out there that could be paying £400/£500 a month☹️, Are these shock stories or are they true.

Rant over...off shopping now ☹️    

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with Companies making a profit--my pension depends on it!  But there must be some measure of control; whether that to ensure standards (water cos), excessive profiteering, (Oil cos), level of investment. The various OfXXX seem totally incompetent and certainly biased away from the consumer.

Incidentally most of your pensions depend on it as well.

Edited by FindernRam
typo

On 29/07/2022 at 08:28, Unlucky Alf said:

I'm not a person that is prone to anger, I can get a little pi$$ed off but looking at todays newspaper headlines on the tinternet concerning mega profits for Centrica and Shell has got me annoyed, How on earth have we as a society got to this, I'm like others who are going to be hit with huge energy bills this Winter, The Government have put plans in place to support us, I'm off shopping later knowing that what I paid for 2 weeks ago I'll be paying a little more today.

Privatisation by the Thatcher Government in the 80s/90s has shown what has happened and this threads headline of a Two tier world is a little misleading, There's those that have, There's those that can, There's those that make do and mend and there's those that just can't manage.

Ofgem are the ones that set energy Cap Prices...how can an organisation like this let loose the big 5/6 energy companies on the public, I understand Gas prices are rising due to the Ukraine War, But we only import circa 5% of our gas, How come then are we being thrown to the wolves like this...this I do not understand.

I'm on a fixed rate with British Gas until July 23, I think I'm a little lucky as what I was paying before at £34 a month has trebled to £98 per month, I'm reading there's people out there that could be paying £400/£500 a month☹️, Are these shock stories or are they true.

Rant over...off shopping now ☹️    

My current monthly DD for gas + electric is £360. With Shell, who took over PurePlanet which was one that failed.

So 360 is supposed to be a "smoothed" amount over 12 months to cover the ups and downs - in the summer we are using about 160 per month, which is about 130elec and 30 gas.

So that 360 * 12 = 4,300. So I seem to be already paying over the "cap"? And if theyre saying the cap could double or treble then I could end up paying the best part of a grand per month?

Needless to say you cant ring anyone its all online and the frequently asked questions are designed to completely sap your willpower before you find anything that resembles the question you want answered........ 

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

My current monthly DD for gas + electric is £360. With Shell, who took over PurePlanet which was one that failed.

So 360 is supposed to be a "smoothed" amount over 12 months to cover the ups and downs - in the summer we are using about 160 per month, which is about 130elec and 30 gas.

So that 360 * 12 = 4,300. So I seem to be already paying over the "cap"? And if theyre saying the cap could double or treble then I could end up paying the best part of a grand per month?

Needless to say you cant ring anyone its all online and the frequently asked questions are designed to completely sap your willpower before you find anything that resembles the question you want answered........ 

Holy $hit ?, There's going to be trouble ahead, Civil Disobedience is on the cards this Winter ☹️ 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

what folk need to remember is that the price cap is the maximum a provider can charge per KWh. When they quote a figure in the media of £x,000 pa that is an estimate based on an average households consumption. It’s not the maximum your bill can be. If your bill is above the “cap” it means you are using more power that the average household.

It sounds like you either need to reduce sun bed usage or ration the staffs power usage at Van Der Moodhoover Towers. ?

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

On your £280k p.a. you are going to be proper struggling. Perhaps close down the west wing of the house?

10 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

On your £280k p.a. you are going to be proper struggling. Perhaps close down the west wing of the house?

Current role took a chunky pay cut (as was interesting) plus I work in Gloucester 3 days a week so commuting costs are higher. I'm barely breaking even as it is..... 

I'm going to have to put the gardener at risk... ??

47 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

what folk need to remember is that the price cap is the maximum a provider can charge per KWh. When they quote a figure in the media of £x,000 pa that is an estimate based on an average households consumption. It’s not the maximum your bill can be. If your bill is above the “cap” it means you are using more power that the average household.

It sounds like you either need to reduce sun bed usage or ration the staffs power usage at Van Der Moodhoover Towers. ?

. Hmmm. That would explain things. 

Still, there's only 3 of us. All lighting is now led. Mrs VdM is a cook so the oven is on a lot. Perhaps the 5 fridges /freezers don't help, but cripes we can't have room temperature bubbles...... ?

We don't even have a hot tub.... 

The price cap is a bit of a misnomer. It was introduced to stop providers royally taking the pee from the people who never change supplier. In order to make an artificial market where we all change provider and justify privatisation. Most of us don't care for choice in who our supplier is, we just want easy and cheap. So a lot of people pick a supplier when the price is low, but don't realise that they put the price up later. The cap was to stop them raising it so much that people ended up with really bad deals. 

So cap ain't really about affordable utilities. It's about stopping the worst of the greed. 

53 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The price cap is a bit of a misnomer. It was introduced to stop providers royally taking the pee from the people who never change supplier. In order to make an artificial market where we all change provider and justify privatisation. Most of us don't care for choice in who our supplier is, we just want easy and cheap. So a lot of people pick a supplier when the price is low, but don't realise that they put the price up later. The cap was to stop them raising it so much that people ended up with really bad deals. 

So cap ain't really about affordable utilities. It's about stopping the worst of the greed. 

Nice to hear our outgoing PM say this is the "price to pay for Russia invading Ukraine" yet for the 1st time we haven't imported any Russian Gas, It's a "Cartel" of multi nationals as well as German and French taking the Pi$$ supported by Ofgem ?