Dale Stephens

Mckram

I can only see us needing more central midfielders if we are losing Knight and/or Bielik.

Stephens, despite his PL experience, isn’t the sort of player I think we need to add though.

As some have said, it’s another set of legs that are coming to the end of their career. If we lose the energy of Knight we need someone similar to replace that. If we lose the quality of Bielik we need someone to replace that.

I don’t know too much about him, but I seem to recall he’s been guilty of some nasty tackles in his time and isn’t averse to a red card every now and then.

We currently have 3x CDMs, not sure why people think thats enough? Thompson has had 1 season in the first team & Bielik could be out the door and even if he stays he is unlikely to play a full season. Also, Bielik is the oldest at 24, I have no issue with a more experienced option in there which we're clearly looking for with McDonald on trial. Stephens would be quality in League 1. In general we need 2 players for every position.

I dont see Knight or Hourihane playing regularly in the 2 CDM spots

Edited by DCFC1388

1 hour ago, Rich3478 said:

Again decent player but our squad not looking too balanced. Have five centre backs, about the same same centre mids. Really need to look at full back positions next, and another striker. More cover out wide too.

I agree. I think we need to look to add at full back and another winger before adding in any more central midfielders (unless Bielik and Knight are off).

Good player Stephens, even at 33. Get him in.

Bielik ain’t playing for us this season. The wise decision is to loan him out to a higher division team, so he (hopefully) gets some game time, and increases his value again. And if he falls injured again, better to have a loan fee paid, and his wages covered, than have him sitting on the George Thorne Memorial Couch at c£20k p.w.

Dale Stephens would be a smart pick up if we are losing Bielik or Knight. I’d rather keep the latter two, obviously, but he’s a good contingency. 

Also, if we are losing one of those could be prudent to go younger with McEachran or Dixon-Bonner as you’re losing a resaleable asset. 

Very little mention of possibly losing Bird, must be in consideration to leave if anyone bids given his value. That's where Stephens or whoever fit in.

Ex-Brighton so may just be a lazy link.

All about getting out of this division whatever it takes and Stephens has the pedigree to help with that.

Just wonder what would have happened if we had signed him years ago instead of Johnson or Butterfield? If we'd upped our bid to £7-8m for him we would probaby only have afforded to bring in Ollie Watkins instead of either Johnson or Butterfield. Oh, hindsight.

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Dale Stephens would be a smart pick up if we are losing Bielik or Knight. I’d rather keep the latter two, obviously, but he’s a good contingency. 

Also, if we are losing one of those could be prudent to go younger with McEachran or Dixon-Bonner as you’re losing a resaleable asset. 

Currently in central midfield our options are:

Bielik, Knight, Sibley, Hourihane, Bird, Thompson and then the likes of Aghatise coming through. I feel we could afford to lose both Bielik and Knight and still be strong there and give our other players room to breathe and develop, while prioritizing our spending in other key areas where we're short.