Wayne Rooney

roboto

3 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ah yes, of course, he undermined Cocu by deliberately scoring a late free-kick at Norwich that 99% of English footballers would have been incapable of doing to save Cocu's job by giving him our first (and only) win of the season.

His form and fitness were fading even before that season but to suggest he deliberately undermined Cocu is pure conspiracy nonsense that ignores Rooney's reputation as a dedicated footballer with an incredible will to win.

Without living in the blokes brain, I have no idea if he fancied Cocu's job.  That 30 minutes he had against Blackburn was however, the most singularly revolting performance i've seen, so at that point, in particular how he should have been playing at that level, he clearly didn't fancy keeping himself in the relevant shape or mindset to carry on playing. Any dedication or will to win was gone. 

You can instantly see the attraction for Plymouth.

Rooney is a big name with a big reach from a marketing, media and business perspective. You could see how this may attract more investment and bring more eyeballs to the club.

In some ways, given the lack of expectation, Plymouth cannot really lose. If they go down, Rooney leaves and they reset in their more natural position of being one of the strongest clubs in League 1. If they survive in the Championship and go on to finish in a good position, Rooney will get all the plaudits, leave for a bigger club, and Plymouth will be well placed to kick on.

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Ah yes, of course, he undermined Cocu by deliberately scoring a late free-kick at Norwich that 99% of English footballers would have been incapable of doing to save Cocu's job by giving him our first (and only) win of the season.

His form and fitness were fading even before that season but to suggest he deliberately undermined Cocu is pure conspiracy nonsense that ignores Rooney's reputation as a dedicated footballer with an incredible will to win.

The last part was his problem...his incredible will to undermine cocu to win the managers job....

Great footballer,crap manager.

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Without living in the blokes brain, I have no idea if he fancied Cocu's job.  That 30 minutes he had against Blackburn was however, the most singularly revolting performance i've seen, so at that point, in particular how he should have been playing at that level, he clearly didn't fancy keeping himself in the relevant shape or mindset to carry on playing. Any dedication or will to win was gone. 

Never saw Mick Coop play during his mercifully brief spell with us then? 

I don't dispute that he didn't look fit and his general play wasn't up to scratch that season, but I don't buy the idea that he was deliberately undermining Cocu. It's not as if anyone played consistently well in Cocu's second season.

I liked Rooney for us and he did a great job given the circumstances. But he's a bad fit for Plymouth and needs a strong tactical team behind him to make it work. I think fortunately for us that's likely 1 relegation spot confirmed unless they oust him quickly after a poor start. 

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You can instantly see the attraction for Plymouth.

Rooney is a big name with a big reach from a marketing, media and business perspective. You could see how this may attract more investment and bring more eyeballs to the club.

In some ways, given the lack of expectation, Plymouth cannot really lose. If they go down, Rooney leaves and they reset in their more natural position of being one of the strongest clubs in League 1. If they survive in the Championship and go on to finish in a good position, Rooney will get all the plaudits, leave for a bigger club, and Plymouth will be well placed to kick on.

Their fans are saying they'll be happy if they finish one place higher. Most seem to believe the positives about Rooney, not the negatives, even if they're a bit wary.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

Their fans are saying they'll be happy if they finish one place higher. Most seem to believe the positives about Rooney, not the negatives, even if they're a bit wary.

I think that’s it.

Plymouth fans and the ownership know that they will have one of the smallest budgets in the Championship, so there’s no real pressure beyond staying out of the relegation places.

It’s good for Rooney in many ways because what he lacks in coaching experience and tactical nous, he may be able to make up for with man management, much like he tried to do here.

Everyone’s counting him out so this might allow him to build a siege mentality and galvanise the group to prove people wrong, much like he tried to do here.

I don’t think they are doomed personally. They have a solid core of young players (Cooper, Gibson, Mumba, Ogbeta, Randell, Wright, Whittaker) that they would hope to build around. It just depends on whether they can keep hold of their best players (Whittaker and Cooper). Losing those two would be a big blow.

On 30/05/2024 at 08:22, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I wouldn't personally say that getting caught in a hotel room with a couple of girls who then proceeded to take photos of him smashed,whilst our manager,was particularly great conduct to be honest.

Add that to the previous season where he manufactured Cocus departure by playing so badly and getting so out of shape whilst a player at the latter end of the season and my respect for him as a gaffer dropped even further.

Plymouth are going to have a hard time with Wayne at the helm.

But how does him getting snapped pissed up make him dreadful for the club?. Also it's a team game, Rooney playing badly wouldn't have got Cocu sacked, the team playing badly got him the sack.

Rooney was one of the most dedicated footballers whilst playing, you only have to listen to his old team mates to realize what he put into the game.

Still having the drive to be a good manager when he could live a life of luxury and relaxation with absolutely no money worries just shows how driven he is.

Like i've said, he could have binned us off before the start of the relegation season but he stuck it out, and spent his own money to boot.

He deserves credit for that and I think most level headed fans can see that.

You obviously have a personal grudge against him as a person, which is fine, he's got himself in one or two compromising positions throughout his career. But remember he was a child superstar coming from a poor background and the fame and money had an adverse effect on him, especially in his younger days.

6 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

But how does him getting snapped pissed up make him dreadful for the club?. Also it's a team game, Rooney playing badly wouldn't have got Cocu sacked, the team playing badly got him the sack.

Rooney was one of the most dedicated footballers whilst playing, you only have to listen to his old team mates to realize what he put into the game.

Still having the drive to be a good manager when he could live a life of luxury and relaxation with absolutely no money worries just shows how driven he is.

Like i've said, he could have binned us off before the start of the relegation season but he stuck it out, and spent his own money to boot.

You obviously have a personal grudge against him as a person, which is fine, he's got himself in one or two compromising positions throughout his career. But remember he was a child superstar coming from a poor background and the fame and money had an adverse effect on him, especially in his younger days.

You make very good points and very level headed answer but one point I am not entirely sure about is his level of dedication. Rooney is a year younger Ronaldo and the same age as James Milner. Talent wise on a par with the former in my eyes but dedication wise not even on a level of the latter, never mind Ronaldo. This may have prevented him reaching the very pinnacle of the game. Even in his prime, every time he came back from injury in his playing day he was always a tad heavy and took a bit of time to get back to an ideal weight. Successful sportsmen and women live more or less a monastic life, this is complete and utter dedication to their sport, I am not convinced he had that in him and that he did do that. I cannot remember if it was a pre season or during covid that he came back to Moor farm and there were photos or videos of several player but none of Wayne. Rumours are he came back looking rather rotund, Jan Molby like, and the media department had to hold off publishing material of Wayne’s return to the training ground.

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

You make very good points and very level headed answer but one point I am not entirely sure about is his level of dedication. Rooney is a year younger Ronaldo and the same age as James Milner. Talent wise on a par with the former in my eyes but dedication wise not even on a level of the latter, never mind Ronaldo. This may have prevented him reaching the very pinnacle of the game. Even in his prime, every time he came back from injury in his playing day he was always a tad heavy and took a bit of time to get back to an ideal weight. Successful sportsmen and women live more or less a monastic life, this is complete and utter dedication to their sport, I am not convinced he had that in him and that he did do that. I cannot remember if it was a pre season or during covid that he came back to Moor farm and there were photos or videos of several player but none of Wayne. Rumours are he came back looking rather rotund, Jan Molby like, and the media department had to hold off publishing material of Wayne’s return to the training ground.

I agree, but you have to also realize, not everyone is built the same. Some people can eat what they like and never put an ounce on, some, obviously like Rooney only have to look at a kebab and they'll put a stone on 😄

Rooney might have athletic body of a darts player, drank his 6 pack and has more chins than Ronaldo, it never held him back, there would never be a player that put more effort in on the pitch.

@mwram1973 has made some valid points, you only have to look at the house in the video posted earlier in this topic. He has it all, stunning wife, kids, money, he has absolutely no reason to be down Plymouth’s training ground at 9am on Monday morning.

The guy absolutely loves the game and wants to succeed, I wish him the absolute best and hope that one day he gets to complete his dream and manage United.

Would be so easier to criticise another man for mistakes which he has made, it’s the English mentality to s*** on others whilst up in our high horses. I wasn’t a multi millionaire at 16, guarantee you if I was, there would have been loads more alcohol, women and the odd gilf, 21 I was and she was 48 😂

On 30/05/2024 at 14:48, Crewton said:

Never saw Mick Coop play during his mercifully brief spell with us then? 

I don't dispute that he didn't look fit and his general play wasn't up to scratch that season, but I don't buy the idea that he was deliberately undermining Cocu. It's not as if anyone played consistently well in Cocu's second season.

I did, Hartlepool away in the FA Cup around Oct/Nov time, Their pitch was worse than the BBG, Coop came off the pitch cleaner than when he ran out of their tunnel at the start of the game...an absolute turd of a player for DCFC 🙄 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

Personal grudge against him?

We played awful football under him,we were relegated and he then cleared off as soon as were.

He also embarrassed the club at the worst possible time....and as far as I'm.l aware,he's a grown up,not a 18 year kid straight off a housing estate.

Great footballers are not always great coaches or managers and Rooney's record,here in the states and at Birmingham is an illustration of that.

The original question was about Plymouth taking him in as manager...do you honestly believe he's going to be a success given his managerial history?

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

I think you great break Rooney’s spell with us into several parts.

As a player, there are 2 distinct differences between pre and post the COVID break.  At the start, superb.  He ran the show in lots of games and was in good shape.  After the restart, he was totally out of shape and was hinderance to the team.  In Ryan Conways book I think it’s Max Lowe who said they’d all been given individual trading plans to keep in shape.  When they returned, Rooney had obviously put on a bit of timber and after running 1 lap of the pitch on the first training session he gave up and went back in the changing room.  He looked off the pace in matches and could barely run.

Then as a manager there are also 2 parts.  When he took over he was shocking.  No tactics, no plan.  You’d think for someone having worked for some of the best managers and coaches and with an aspiration to be a manager he’d have an idea how he wanted his teams to play.  We just did what the opposition did.  Then the administration season, which I think is his finest moment.  We did start with a plan and structure as to how he wanted us to play.  Although I think he was a bit lucky to have a good coaching staff with him.  But from the admin announcement he became a leader.  He lead the players, the staff behind the scenes, the fans - everyone.  He galvanised the club and the city.  It was us against the world and he created a siege mentality.  He didn’t let the points deductions get to anyone.  Many would have given up, he gave us all hope and belief that we could stay up.

I’ll always remember that last season, weirdly one of the best despite the ending.  I wish him well at Plymouth, except against us!!  You have to admire his desire to keep going and trying again.  I hope he takes the time to get his backroom team right as I think this will be key to whether he makes a good go of it or not.

8 hours ago, Day said:

Rooney might have athletic body of a darts player, drank his 6 pack and has more chins than Ronaldo, it never held him back, there would never be a player that put more effort in on the pitch.

@mwram1973 has made some valid points, you only have to look at the house in the video posted earlier in this topic. He has it all, stunning wife, kids, money, he has absolutely no reason to be down Plymouth’s training ground at 9am on Monday morning.

The guy absolutely loves the game and wants to succeed, I wish him the absolute best and hope that one day he gets to complete his dream and manage United.

Would be so easier to criticise another man for mistakes which he has made, it’s the English mentality to s*** on others whilst up in our high horses. I wasn’t a multi millionaire at 16, guarantee you if I was, there would have been loads more alcohol, women and the odd gilf, 21 I was and she was 48 😂

I agree everything, but “stunning wife”?  Really?

4 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I agree everything, but “stunning wife”?  Really?

I wouldn’t kick her out of bed for farting!

10 hours ago, Day said:

I like him, but it's hard to argue that his lifestyle didn't hold him back. He was done at the top level by 28. I'm sure that was partly due to playing a lot of games at a young age and having a unique physique, but I'm in no doubt he would have stayed at the top for longer if he lived like James Milner. And his last few performances for Derby were hard to defend.

That being said, in his prime, he was an animal who gave it everything. You only have to listen to Gary Neville talk about him to know what he was like as a player and team mate. And he may well turn out to be one of the last ever true street footballers.

He's right in saying that Harry Kane has a better England legacy though.

21 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We played awful football under him,we were relegated and he then cleared off as soon as were.

The first part is utter nonsense (were you even there?!?), the second part was due to Administration and the 12 points deduction (we'd have survived with just the 9 point deduction) and the last part was (in my view) doing the decent thing after hitching his wagon to Kirschner.