What’s the formula for getting out of Lg1?

7 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Good players and a manager who knows the league and make them believe. Last season WR reallly make them Believe that despite ,the 21 poinrts deduction we could stay up and the team bought into it. In the end injuries, suspensions, squad size cost us. 

???? ? You can achieve so much of what you want if your team believes in itself and if its members play for each other as a unit. That’s 80/90 % of it….. The rest is a mix of manager insight, moments of particular player genius, along with a dose luck from the football Gods. 

3 minutes ago, igorsdream said:

i keep dreaming 4 4 2 it worked 35 years ago sure it still works in league 1 they have no idea of false 9s triangles splitting centre backs

I like 442, there’s a symmetry that works (in my head at least) you’ve got wingers to put crosses in and use the width of the pitch, you have a pair of strikers with complimentary skills, a pair of mids who interchange either covering defence or supporting attack and then a back four .. full backs to counter wingers and a pair of CB’s protecting the box and the goal. 
The first time I understood anything about football was seeing a full back and a winger operating as a mini team working a flank to great effect. You need foils and 442 kind of fits that in my simplistic mind. 

I am a bit fixated with it and know tacticians will tell you it’s all fuddy duddy and doesn’t work. I’ll never be a football manager ?

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would be nice to see us adapt goalkick tactics during a game. If they press, go long. They retreat, go short.

Last season, if they had 10 men lined up on edge of box, we would have still tried the short one to keeper!

Utter madness wasn't it? Use your brains lads! Even footballers have them...

22 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Getting more points than the other teams ?

Indeed.  I suspect Brazil World Cup winning team of 1970 (pure class) would do it.  I suspect Stoke c2010 would do it (hoof over the top).  I suspect Man Utd c1992 (kids) would do it, as would Man Utd 2012 (those kids as last hurrah).

Just need a team good enough in one way or another.

I guess it's about having the right sort of manager, who can quickly motivate and organise a team from the available squad; which will probably consist of young improvers, a few quality experienced players we have managed to keep and hopefully enough free transfers/out of contracts to make up the numbers. Also a decent slice of luck and a good start. 

A team that is solid without the ball, who put pressure on the opposition and force mistakes. Then with the ball, a team that attacks with some pace and directness, but from different angles. Having players with vision to start the attack, like Bird can be, could be key. So rather than always attacking down one wing or by lumping it forward, the opposition are forced defend the runners through middle, ball over the top and working it out wide. 

14 hours ago, r4derby said:

A team that is solid without the ball, who put pressure on the opposition and force mistakes. Then with the ball, a team that attacks with some pace and directness, but from different angles. Having players with vision to start the attack, like Bird can be, could be key. So rather than always attacking down one wing or by lumping it forward, the opposition are forced defend the runners through middle, ball over the top and working it out wide. 

That forcing mistakes point is a real one and much more likely to succeed in L1 . I sometimes think it’s the errors and inconsistencies rather than a difference in skill levels that separates L1 and championship 

35 minutes ago, jono said:

That forcing mistakes point is a real one and much more likely to succeed in L1 . I sometimes think it’s the errors and inconsistencies rather than a difference in skill levels that separates L1 and championship 

Is the higher number of forced mistakes a result of more intense pressing, or players being weaker on the ball? Based on typical fitness levels, I think the latter is more likely.

442 has its merits for sure.

I tend to think of it as the "work" a team needs to do is more or less the same and formations and systems are how to divvy up the jobs and make the best out of your players, systems are how to go about the job to stop the other side doing good attacking and so you can do good attacking yourselves.

442 is particularly good for counter attacking bit obviously you end up with 3 CMS Vs 3 CMS, however if one of your front to has the job of helping out against the more defensive of their midfield 3, it's not as bad as all that (etc etc)

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is the higher number of forced mistakes a result of more intense pressing, or players being weaker on the ball? Based on typical fitness levels, I think the latter is more likely.

Could be. I think perhaps though it’s a bit of everything.

A skilled league 1 player could probably do some amazing trick with his feet and the ball on a Wednesday and would look every bit a PL star. On Thursday he fluffs it while the real deal can do it every day. The high ball dropping to a L1 defender with a bit of space. He controls it at makes a pass. Job done, but he’ll do that 7/10 times and 8/10 times if he’s championship. The odds of a bad touch increase as you drop down the leagues so the pressing has more chance of succeeding. I think this where my theory was going. ? There’s just 5% more chaos potential if you like

• 2 months later...