New manager, who do you want?

RoyMac5

9 minutes ago, twinkletoes said:

proven track record can work with low budgets and knows everone in the game we are in big trouble and need a steady hand i would argue they dont come much steadier

Aged 73 and already retired once.

He might be a reasonable short term fix but we’d certainly be looking yet another manager in probably a years time. The only way I see it working is if his assistant manager was essentially his successor in waiting learning the ropes. However, I have a gut feeling (and therefore absolutely nothing to back it up) that we’d end up as his one managerial appointment too far and he should have remained retired.

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Aged 73 and already retired once.

He might be a reasonable short term fix but we’d certainly be looking yet another manager in probably a years time. The only way I see it working is if his assistant manager was essentially his successor in waiting learning the ropes. However, I have a gut feeling (and therefore absolutely nothing to back it up) that we’d end up as his one managerial appointment too far and he should have remained retired.

We need someone who can quickly assemble a squad that will be competitive and fight for each other. Warnock could certainly do that. The only other option for me is Rosenior, if he can retain some of the squad from last year and persuade some of those that Rooney had lined up to still come on trial we might have a decent chance. 

If we were to appoint a new manager I’m sure they’d want their own back room staff so we’d end up paying off our current staff which financially might not be possible. 

Big big week ahead. 

3 hours ago, big bad ram said:

Nigel Clough had a knack of spotting a player at Derby, players who then went on to improve massively under new coaching.

However, since he left Derby, has this trend continued at his other clubs or was it just a one off at Derby?

I'd argue it's as much his brother, Simon, that has the knack for spotting players.

Nige can build a team though. Derby got to the play-offs after him (but he did completely turn the squad around), Sheff Utd a double promotion to the Prem with mostly the same team that he built (I thought they were harsh to get rid of him after taking them from the relegation zone to the play offs), he got Burton into the Championship, took Mansfield from the edge of the L2 relegation zone to the play-off final in 6 months... not bad to have on your CV however you look at it!

image.png.c789b88bf46a451cedd730f41242352a.png

Let's be honest it's going to be Rosenior, I think it shows that our 4th favourite is a manager who just took our rivals to the Premier League, basically Rosenior and let's pull some other names out of our a$$.

If Steve Cooper is 8/1 I might have to put a cheeky tenner on someone from this forum becoming the next manager because it's just as likely...

Millwall to the playoffs, Sunderland promoted and consolidated, Wolves promoted and consolidated - rough 10 games when he got the sack, Ipswich in the playoffs without any money and using youngsters and the non league market, Ireland to the world cup and galvanised them to qualify out the group with Germany after Keanes tantrum.  Reasonable wage

Knows both good attacking football -Ireland and Wolves and how to muscle and s******** results with no cash - Millwall and Ipswich.

We have a winner. Chris Powell or Paul Simpson as assistant. 

ConcreteGrouchyAtlanticbluetang-max-1mb.

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Liam with Warnock as the executive board Director of Football /Recruitment 

Warnock as director of football? He doesn't even know what one is. When he was at Middlesbrough he openly rejected the set up and the players that he was given

Assuming Darren Wassall no longer has managerial ambitions I'd make him CEO and give him the choice of manager.  The next manager is going to have to use the academy so it makes sense to appoint somebody with the same playing style as the academy.

It's only just occured to me how many Derby managers Darren Wassell has played under: Brian Clough, Arthur Cox, Roy McFarland, Jim Smith, Nigel Clough!

9 minutes ago, DerbysLane said:

Assuming Darren Wassall no longer has managerial ambitions I'd make him CEO and give him the choice of manager.  The next manager is going to have to use the academy so it makes sense to appoint somebody with the same playing style as the academy.

It's only just occured to me how many Derby managers Darren Wassell has played under: Brian Clough, Arthur Cox, Roy McFarland, Jim Smith, Nigel Clough!

What ?

When Arthur Cox came in 1984 and the situation was very similar to now he had just achieved promotion to the top tier with Newcastle and therfore just acheived the same as what Cooper has done. Having said that I really can't see Cooper doing the same thing.

What Arthur did have was experience of managing in the lower leagues with Chesterfield and as much as I like Rosenior I think we need a manager with lower league experience. Clough would fit the bill.

3 hours ago, twinkletoes said:

Warnock there is no other choice

Besides being a doubt whether we could afford him could you really see him coming out of retirement to manage a League 1 club. Thought he was more of a chequebook manager than working with youngsters which is what anybody who gets the job is going to have to do.

6 minutes ago, Richard Dastard Lee said:

When Arthur Cox came in 1984 and the situation was very similar to now he had just achieved promotion to the top tier with Newcastle and therfore just acheived the same as what Cooper has done. Having said that I really can't see Cooper doing the same thing.

What Arthur did have was experience of managing in the lower leagues with Chesterfield and as much as I like Rosenior I think we need a manager with lower league experience. Clough would fit the bill.

Why is Cooper being mentioned? Why on earth would he drop 2 divisions whilst in the process of negotiating a lucrative long term contract with Florist ?