Pitch Invasions: Problems or Celebrations?

Retro_RAM

Watching the news and it seems to be a growing trend. Something that used to be a way to celebrate with the players and a release of emotion seems to going down an ugly route of violence, selfies and flares...

All have happened in the past couple of days from a pitch invasion:

• The Forest fan head butting Billy Sharp.
  • Port Vale fans surround Swindon players (punches thrown).
  • A Everton fan taunting Patrick Viera causing a reaction.
  • Luton players, coaching staff and fans were goaded and abused by Huddersfield fans.
  • West Brom fans taunt Wolves after beating them in U23 PL Cup Final.

I actually don't want this tradition to end but something needs to be addressed. I feel it genuinely needs to be a reason for it, promotion for example. Avoiding relegation or simply it's the last home game of the season should not be an reason for a pitch invasion.

What are your thoughts, should this end with club punishments or don't let a few bad eggs spoil an otherwise happy occasion?

1 minute ago, Retro_RAM said:

Watching the news and it seems to be a growing trend. Something that used to be a way to celebrate with the players and a release of emotion seems to going down an ugly route of violence, selfies and flares...

All have happened in the past couple of days from a pitch invasion:

• The Forest fan head butting Billy Sharp.
  • Port Vale fans surround Swindon players (punches thrown).
  • A Everton fan taunting Patrick Viera causing a reaction.
  • Luton players, coaching staff and fans were goaded and abused by Huddersfield fans.
  • West Brom fans taunt Wolves after beating them in U23 PL Cup Final.

I actually don't want this tradition to end but something needs to be addressed. I feel it genuinely needs to be a reason for it, promotion for example. Avoiding relegation or simply it's the last home game of the season should not be an reason for a pitch invasion.

What are your thoughts, should this end with club punishments or don't let a few bad eggs spoil an otherwise happy occasion?

I am concerned that a player/manager/official (or plural) will be seriously hurt at some point. All you need is someone with serious issues or intent hidden by the good natured bouncing! Someone mentioned Monica Seles on the forum somewhere. Seems to be a worrying trend along with other issues discussed on here at away matches this season. 

I always see people on social media blaming the stewards in these scenarios but I feel it's a bit unfair. Stewards simply do not get paid enough to put themselves in the way of drugged up football fans who are determined to get onto the pitch. I remember going to Reading away and the steward in front of the stand was about 18, if there had been a pitch invasion he would of stood no chance. 

Edited by CocuBarmyArmy

I was under the impression that it was illegal to enter the pitch (as opposed to just being a club rule?)

Make more arrests. Send more down for a few weeks. Hand out more bans. 
Not exactly difficult to prove in court, as you’re either arrested on the pitch or not, so there’s nothing to argue, and it should put the successful prosecution rate up for the rozzers ( so “worth the paperwork”)!

Ambling calmly back to the stands/exits 20 mins later?  Arrest ‘em!

needs a full stop to it… celebration or otherwise!

of course, this won’t happen until a player is stabbed!  

Someone died recently near me from a "one punch" killing outside a local pub. The guy who did it got sent down. It shows me that anything can and does happen as soon as there is conflict.

There can be a tragedy from small fights, let alone full on mass brawls and multiple punches and kicks with intent to hurt.

I just hope, as previously mentioned on here, that we will not be facing a Seles scenario. All it takes is one person.

Blanket ban for anyone on the pitch? I honestly can't see logistically how that would be possible. Think of the police resources needed for that. 10k fans + on the pitch at everton last night. No chance could they all be arrested at the match and the level of research needed to trawl cctv to find every single one of them, not just the headbutters of this world, would make it untenable.

Down know what the solution is really.

At this point they have to be prevented with serious punishments for the individuals and clubs, custodial sentences, fines, banning orders for individuals that enter the pitch, and points deductions and forfeiting of the game for mass pitch invasions.

The minority yet again ruining it for the majority, sadly it’s a tradition that needs to end now. We live in a world of lunatics that wouldn’t think twice about seriously assaulting a player or manager given the opportunity…..over a game of football.

Too much of a security risk for the players and staff now to turn a blind eye, we can’t wait for a weapon to make it’s way on to the pitch.

Don't the leagues have the power to impose fines and deduct points?  I get the emotion that causes the pitch invasion, either celebration or sheer relief, but at the end of the day it's invading the players place of work where they should feel safe.  If we were at work and a few people stormed in up to our faces screaming abuse you'd feel rightly threatened.  Multiply that to several thousand.  If I recall didn't Blackpool get a 3 point deduction several years ago following a pitch invasion? May be wrong.  Imagine how Everton would feel being hit with 3 points now? Or Port Vale, so they'd drop out the top 6. 

Nothing Mel did actually threatened people's lives (livelihoods yes) but we ended up with 21 points deduction and £100,000 fine.  For me entering the pitch area, verbally threatening or physically attacking players or staff should be far more severely punished.  At the end of the day it ought to be seen as the club failing to control its fans.  Will be interesting to see what wrist slapping Everton, Port Vale or Notts Forest get.  Probably nothing.  

7 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Don't the leagues have the power to impose fines and deduct points?  I get the emotion that causes the pitch invasion, either celebration or sheer relief, but at the end of the day it's invading the players place of work where they should feel safe.  If we were at work and a few people stormed in up to our faces screaming abuse you'd feel rightly threatened.  Multiply that to several thousand.  If I recall didn't Blackpool get a 3 point deduction several years ago following a pitch invasion? May be wrong.  Imagine how Everton would feel being hit with 3 points now? Or Port Vale, so they'd drop out the top 6. 

Nothing Mel did actually threatened people's lives (livelihoods yes) but we ended up with 21 points deduction and £100,000 fine.  For me entering the pitch area, verbally threatening or physically attacking players or staff should be far more severely punished.  At the end of the day it ought to be seen as the club failing to control its fans.  Will be interesting to see what wrist slapping Everton, Port Vale or Notts Forest get.  Probably nothing.  

Blackpool were hit with a suspended 3 point deduction as the game couldn’t be completed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33781942

In this instance, I'm not keen on the clubs being punished.

As @KBB suggests, it's nigh on impossible to keep 10,000 fans off, and nigh on impossible to punish them all.

But out of those 10,000, it wouldn't be beyond the police's resources to pull in a couple of dozen.  Jail 'em.  Ban 'em.
Over time, the remain 9,976 will get the message, and come to the conclusion that it's just not worth it.

Even the best behaved, and well-intentioned, are breaking the law just by being on the pitch.  10,000 wrongs does not a right make!

... And let's face it, players are far more likely to join in any celebrations if the fans stay in the stands. 

Oh... and let's have clubs making official announcements that anyone recognised from TV and/or CCTV footage will face lifetime club bans.

Edited by Mucker1884

I think in general, the minority of people's behaviour is getting worse post Covid restrictions. It's like they've felt being caged animals and they have the right to do whatever the heck they want, don't give a toss about anyone else who might be affected by their actions.

Football fan violence has increased across most clubs. Pride Park we've had a number of idiots invading the pitch and some away fans ripping up seats, being aggressive at families. It's not just football matches though. Recent nights out have been chaos at weekends, I refuse to stay out past a certain hour now. I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago, the few people on our flight out were off their face and throwing up. The flight attendant said verbal abuse has already been much worse. There were young families around these scumbags, zero regard for their feelings. Possibly their first abroad family holiday. Awful behaviour. They need to start being stricter on the oxygen thieves otherwise it'll keep getting worse.

It's rapidly heading into "this is why we can't have nice things" territory isn't it.

It's easy to forget just how much in day to day lives depends on mutual trust and good faith of everyone else who is around doing whatever it is they're doing.

With the modern prevalence of cameras everywhere I'd be reasonably confident in particular offenders being identified and charged.

I don't think anyone who attended in the era of fenced pens (I did not experience such things) really wants it like that again.

3 hours ago, mozza said:

Fences are the solution, but I was hoping they were a thing of the past..

Fences are too dangerous though. Crocodile infested moats are the way forwards.

It's a real shame that the poor behaviour of some people is probably going to put a stop to celebratory pitch invasions. Just imagine if Kenneth Wolstenholme's classic world cup commentary had been, "Some people are on the pitch. They think it's all over... oh goodness, a fan has struck Haller and there are several gentlemen dabbing in front of Helmut Schön."

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

I think in general, the minority of people's behaviour is getting worse post Covid restrictions. It's like they've felt being caged animals and they have the right to do whatever the heck they want, don't give a toss about anyone else who might be affected by their actions.

Football fan violence has increased across most clubs. Pride Park we've had a number of idiots invading the pitch and some away fans ripping up seats, being aggressive at families. It's not just football matches though. Recent nights out have been chaos at weekends, I refuse to stay out past a certain hour now. I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago, the few people on our flight out were off their face and throwing up. The flight attendant said verbal abuse has already been much worse. There were young families around these scumbags, zero regard for their feelings. Possibly their first abroad family holiday. Awful behaviour. They need to start being stricter on the oxygen thieves otherwise it'll keep getting worse.

20 years you got on a plane with the boys a bit tiddly.  Off your tits not a chance .  They've always been around in that state, just not on a plane but arguing about getting on .  If they're in that state , it's a failure at the check in desk. 

Our friend Neil Warnock was talking about this on Talksport this morning.  He was physically attacked on the pitch in 2008 (i think against Bristol City), said he wrote to the Football League at the time asking them to look at what could be done before someone gets seriously hurt.  Apparently they didn't bother answering.

1 minute ago, NottsRam said:

Our friend Neil Warnock was talking about this on Talksport this morning.  He was physically attacked on the pitch in 2008 (i think against Bristol City), said he wrote to the Football League at the time asking them to look at what could be done before someone gets seriously hurt.  Apparently they didn't bother answering.

Poor old Colin ?