The future of derby county looks bright again

B4ev6is

Well derby county has survived were likes of steve gibson tried and failed to send us out of business and efl might have sent us down but they have not divided us far far far from it but brought us closer to derby county they might have won the battle but were about win the freaking war with them. I even think that tried to make rooney walk away from us guess again rooney loves derby county and guess what derby county fans love rooney he has stood by us when nobody else would and for that he has respect to city of derby and is about to get freedom of derby. I think personal he going to bring back glory days that derby had under brain clough is way I think rooney could be new brain clough in the making.

Quite a rare honour.  Stuck with the job but compared to winning a League title or an FA cup and from what I can gather a life teams work with youngsters in sport around the city this is rather excessive and makes us look a bit silly.  Does Arthur Cox get one.

Wayne Rooney could get the Freedom of Derby if city councillors approve calls for him to be awarded the honorary title. The Derby County manager could join the likes of other club legends Brian Clough and Reg Harrison as well as other hugely respectable city figures to be given the freedom of the city.

10 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Quite a rare honour.  Stuck with the job but compared to winning a League title or an FA cup and from what I can gather a life teams work with youngsters in sport around the city this is rather excessive and makes us look a bit silly.  Does Arthur Cox get one.

Wayne Rooney could get the Freedom of Derby if city councillors approve calls for him to be awarded the honorary title. The Derby County manager could join the likes of other club legends Brian Clough and Reg Harrison as well as other hugely respectable city figures to be given the freedom of the city.

Its an interesting one. You are looking at achievements that merit the honour. I would say the galvanising influence of Rooney sticking with the club when he could so easily have walked away was a major factor in the team and fans bonding in such a brilliant way. The march etc probably wouldn't have been as successful and as a result the feel good factor in the city was remarkable considering the dire circumstances.

Freedom of the city? Not silly to me!

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well derby county has survived were likes of steve gibson tried and failed to send us out of business and efl might have sent us down but they have not divided us far far far from it but brought us closer to derby county they might have won the battle but were about win the freaking war with them.

Steve Gibson did not try to put us out of business. This is all Mel Morris’ fault. His flagrant rule breaking of the financial fair play rules to cover his excessive spending on poor quality players.

He thought he was clever, he thought he was toying with the EFL was fun and he got found out.

Selling the stadium to a company owned by him was dodgy and everyone knew it.

Also, what war have we won? We were deducted 21 points and ultimately got relegated. We have five contracted players and need a massive rebuild.

Winning the war would have been to have been taken over before December 2021, brought in quality players in January and then staying up with time to spare.

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

What do you guys think

I think you should temper your expectations.

It will take a good few years to rebuild the club unfortunately.

It does look brighter than it did, but time to be realistic. Promotions are NOT easy.

Our infrastructure and club have been decimated.

We will be restricted on what we can spend on player transfers and what wages we can offer. 

We will have the basis of a brand new squad, which need time to adjust and gel.

This will not be easy.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think you should temper your expectations.

It will take a good few years to rebuild the club unfortunately.

It does look brighter than it did, but time to be realistic. Promotions are NOT easy.

Our infrastructure and club have been decimated.

We will be restricted on what we can spend on player transfers and what wages we can offer. 

We will have the basis of a brand new squad, which need time to adjust and gel.

This will not be easy.

Agree with this and people should temper their expectations accordingly.

We've lost a lot of players (and no doubt more will go) the youth academy has been raided and we're limited by even more strict FFP rules in League One.

My hope is that Rooney signs a 3+ year contract with the intention of seeing it through, its not going to be a quick fix and if managers quite part way through the rebuild there is the potential of ending up with an unbalanced squad again as we did under MMs hire and fire regime.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Agree with this and people should temper their expectations accordingly.

We've lost a lot of players (and no doubt more will go) the youth academy has been raided and we're limited by even more strict FFP rules in League One.

My hope is that Rooney signs a 3+ year contract with the intention of seeing it through, its not going to be a quick fix and if managers quite part way through the rebuild there is the potential of ending up with an unbalanced squad again as we did under MMs hire and fire regime.

If Rooney does a half decent job next season then he will be gone. He has been linked with Premier League jobs already.

It is inevitable that more lower end Premier League jobs will come up next season. If we find ourselves in the top two then those clubs will come sniffing.

14 minutes ago, David said:

I think that by saying Rooney can bring back the glory days as seen under Brian Clough is the nuttiest thing I have ever read on this forum.

I can't even begin to explain how outrageous that statement is.

Sorry B4.

It's been difficult for all of us.

It's always OK to dream. Now that things are looking more hopeful, we can be more optimistic.

I was young but was around for the two Championship seasons, met Clough, cried for weeks after he left, cried again when we thought he was about to return. Yet what Rooney and the players achieved - or rather the way that they went about it last season - along with the support made me as proud to be a Derby County fan as I ever been.

It's unlikely that we will win the top division ever again (without a major restructuring of football) but most of us know exactly what @B4ev6is means - the "glory days" will come back. As I say, last season was glorious in its own way.

18 minutes ago, David said:

I think that by saying Rooney can bring back the glory days as seen under Brian Clough is the nuttiest thing I have ever read on this forum.

I can't even begin to explain how outrageous that statement is.

Sorry B4.

Not sure it’s even the nuttiest thing on this page 

we live to dream. COYR

18 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

It's been difficult for all of us.

It's always OK to dream. Now that things are looking more hopeful, we can be more optimistic.

I was young but was around for the two Championship seasons, met Clough, cried for weeks after he left, cried again when we thought he was about to return. Yet what Rooney and the players achieved - or rather the way that they went about it last season - along with the support made me as proud to be a Derby County fan as I ever been.

It's unlikely that we will win the top division ever again (without a major restructuring of football) but most of us know exactly what @B4ev6is means - the "glory days" will come back. As I say, last season was glorious in its own way.

"I think personal he going to bring back glory days that derby had under brain clough is way I think rooney could be new brain clough in the making."

This was the line, not only bring back the glory days that Derby had under Brian Clough, but Rooney could be the new Brian Clough.

With all due respect, I have been on this forum from Day 1 and read all of B4's topics he has ever made, I have a good grasp of what he means and fully aware of his positive outlook and ambitions for this club.

He does not need anyone to spin his comments in an attempt to defend his opinions, he's fully entitled to hold his opinion that Rooney could be the next Brian Clough and we can win the Premier League under him, likewise I am free to call it out as being outrageous.

Which is how I see it.

5 minutes ago, David said:

He does not need anyone to spin his comments in an attempt to defend his opinions, he's fully entitled to hold his opinion that Rooney could be the next Brian Clough and we can win the Premier League under him, likewise I am free to call it out as being outrageous.

I was not defending his opinion - he's more than capable of doing that himself. I was merely expressing my own opinion, as you are doing yourself.

Thanks to the forum that you have set up and run, we are all able to do that.

But to say that the comment was "the nuttiest thing I have ever read on this forum" suggests that you haven't read much of it - in my opinion.