The future of derby county looks bright again

B4ev6is

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not sure it’s even the nuttiest thing on this page 

It is, by far.

18 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

we live to dream. COYR

Of course we do, if I was to go on a public forum and declare myself to be Margot Robbie's next husband, I wouldn't expect such comments to go without opposing views.

With how the game is today, I consider the chances of Derby winning the Premier League twice under Wayne Rooney to be the same as myself waiting at the end of the aisle for Margot Robbie.

I could just sit here and agree, pretend that Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy are real, Mbappe will join Derby in next couple of years, although it would create a very strange corner of the internet.

Our "dream" right now, should be an immediate return to the Championship, and looking at the current state of the squad and the job Rooney has to rebuild, that right now should be considered to be a dream. A dream that I will buy into as players start to walk through the door as it's not an impossible dream.

Just now, IslandExile said:

I was not defending his opinion - he's more than capable of doing that himself. I was merely expressing my own opinion, as you are doing yourself.

Thanks to the forum that you have set up and run, we are all able to do that.

But to say that the comment was "the nuttiest thing I have ever read on this forum" suggests that you haven't read much of it - in my opinion.

You was twisting his comments to be more reasonable, there was absolutely no need to do that.

Also considering I have been on the forum since 2009, yourself 2018, I would suggest I have read more of it than you. Could even argue a case for that to be a fact than an opinion.

1 minute ago, David said:

I consider the chances of Derby winning the Premier League twice under Wayne Rooney

He didn't say that. He just said for the "glory days" to return. Last season was glorious. It was glorious under Cox and Smith, even Mac1. Glory takes different forms.

FYI the second title was won with Dave Mackay, not Clough, in charge.

1 minute ago, David said:

Also considering I have been on the forum since 2009, yourself 2018, I would suggest I have read more of it than you. Could even argue a case for that to be a fact than an opinion.

Yes it's a fact, of course, it's a fact.

It is my opinion that you were out of order for calling the comment the "nuttiest" you had seen.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

Steve Gibson did not try to put us out of business. This is all Mel Morris’ fault. His flagrant rule breaking of the financial fair play rules to cover his excessive spending on poor quality players.

He thought he was clever, he thought he was toying with the EFL was fun and he got found out.

Selling the stadium to a company owned by him was dodgy and everyone knew it.

Also, what war have we won? We were deducted 21 points and ultimately got relegated. We have five contracted players and need a massive rebuild.

Winning the war would have been to have been taken over before December 2021, brought in quality players in January and then staying up with time to spare.

Hi Steve! ?

Just now, IslandExile said:

He didn't say that. He just said for the "glory days" to return. Last season was glorious. It was glorious under Cox and Smith, even Mac1. Glory takes different forms.

FYI the second title was won with Dave Mackay, not Clough, in charge.

I had an apple pie the other day that was glorious, yet it would be completely irrelevant to this conversation, as are the tenures under Cox, Smith and Mac 1.

B4 was talking about the glory days under Brian Clough.

Had he said:

"I think personal he going to bring back glory days" 

Left it there, that would have left it open to interpretation, the glory days could easily have been Mac 1 or any of the other managers you have mentioned, but he specifically mentioned the glory days under Brian Clough. Let's not twist it.

Just having a club to support is enough for me at the moment.

Every player pulling on the shirt this season has done so in the knowledge the was a shambles and destined to be relegated. Knowing what they did, their performance was nothing short of astonishing. Could they have gone a bit further and stayed up? Possibly. Could the away form have been better and kept us up? Possibly. Could a different manager have kept us up? Possibly. Bit going the other way we could easily have gone done with a whimper with our tail between our legs. That didn't happen.

I've never been one for the "promised land" and riches of the premiership. I gonto watch derby. Not a bunch of multi millionaires from other clubs turn up and basically take the mick out of us as I've seen city and the like do to other clubs.

This will take years and years of support,  patience, highs and lows, failures and success to get us back anywhere near to the place we found ourselves under mac heading to Wembley with a squad of talent potentially on the cusp of reward.

Strap in.

Support.

Rebuild.

What I mean is Rooney is doing building a team from the back and making his way to forward line and I think this good way to have solid foundation to build from. And I think rooney will want to win something as manager and why not with us and I dont think rooney going anywere any time soon he made it clear he is here for long term.

8 minutes ago, KBB said:

Just having a club to support is enough for me at the moment.

Every player pulling on the shirt this season has done so in the knowledge the was a shambles and destined to be relegated. Knowing what they did, their performance was nothing short of astonishing. Could they have gone a bit further and stayed up? Possibly. Could the away form have been better and kept us up? Possibly. Could a different manager have kept us up? Possibly. Bit going the other way we could easily have gone done with a whimper with our tail between our legs. That didn't happen.

I've never been one for the "promised land" and riches of the premiership. I gonto watch derby. Not a bunch of multi millionaires from other clubs turn up and basically take the mick out of us as I've seen city and the like do to other clubs.

This will take years and years of support,  patience, highs and lows, failures and success to get us back anywhere near to the place we found ourselves under mac heading to Wembley with a squad of talent potentially on the cusp of reward.

Strap in.

Support.

Rebuild.

The first sentence in this I would imagine pretty much nails how everyone will be feeling right now.

These past few months have been an emotional rollercoaster, both on and off the pitch, and right now just knowing we will have a club to support next season is enough.

The bookies will make us favourites for the title, regardless of the squad situation, with that in a matter of weeks the expectations and pressure will return with moans and groans over misplaced passes. 

We need to sign X, we should be beating X, based on nothing but we're Derby County that plays in a 30k seater stadium.

Sunderland play in a 50k seater stadium, 5 years in League 1.

Some of the best atmospheres around the club have come when we have absolutely no expectations.

The longer we can hold off from placing any kind of expectations or dreaming of the Brian Clough glory days, and just be grateful we have a club to support the better.

Unlike KBB, I held on to the Premier League dream for far too long, I was hugely frustrated under the GSE and Nigel Clough tenure, to accept third tier football I have found particularly tough, I fall back on just having a club to support is enough for me at the moment.

16 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

What I mean is Rooney is doing building a team from the back and making his way to forward line and I think this good way to have solid foundation to build from. And I think rooney will want to win something as manager and why not with us and I dont think rooney going anywere any time soon he made it clear he is here for long term.

I would call that a draw then @IslandExile as neither of us were close.

Be interested to know what you think Wayne Rooney's goals will be in terms of winning things with Derby B4, where do you believe he thinks he can take us before thinking this is it, this is how far I can take Derby and it's time to move on.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think you should temper your expectations.

It will take a good few years to rebuild the club unfortunately.

It does look brighter than it did, but time to be realistic. Promotions are NOT easy.

Our infrastructure and club have been decimated.

We will be restricted on what we can spend on player transfers and what wages we can offer. 

We will have the basis of a brand new squad, which need time to adjust and gel.

This will not be easy.

If the internet was around in the 80's this could have been a post asking people to temper their expectations when Arthur came in.

I mean seriously, you'd have been able to copy and paste it over.

2 years later we were out of the 3rd and then blew up the 2nd playing some fantastic football.

I'm in no way saying this will happen, but it's no less likely imho.

I say raise your expectations and enjoy the moment rather than worrying (to paraphrase Ian Hall)  that we won't have jam tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

If the internet was around in the 80's this could have been a post asking people to temper their expectations when Arthur came in.

I mean seriously, you'd have been able to copy and paste it over.

2 years later we were out of the 3rd and then blew up the 2nd playing some fantastic football.

I'm in no way saying this will happen, but it's no less likely imho.

I say raise your expectations and enjoy the moment rather than worrying (to paraphrase Ian Hall)  that we won't have jam tomorrow.

sadly, very very sadly, it's a vastly different era. Derby would never be able to recruit the kind of players akin to those Arthur signed, these players are now squad players in the Premier League. Back in 1985, there were probably 350-400 players on the books of ALL top tier teams in Division One. I would suggest that the top 8 teams probably have more on their books right now!

Have to admit, while I say only care about Derby and the news the past couple of days is really positive and we can hopefully look forward to the future again now, I find it hard to stomach being in a league below Forest (we haven’t experienced this for 27 years) with the prospect of a winnable final to take them to the premier league, along with Leicester and potentially Leeds if they stay up. I think now living in Nottingham makes things even worse for me. 

That all being said I’ll quickly forget what they’re doing if we can build on the positive momentum of this season. I’ve said before if we can get this done quickly, Rooney signs, the majority of the players I think will sign and whatever the restrictions of the business plan are, Rooney will have more freedom to operate than last summer when he still managed to cobble together a decent team. I see no reason why we can’t be competitive. After this week’s announcement I feel more positive this will happen.

If it drags through the summer and Rooney leaves with the majority of the squad, I think next season will be a long hard slog and we’ll be looking behind at the drop zone rather than at the promotion spots. But even this is better than having no club to support, but no doubt will make me continue to feel bitter about Forest and Leicester.

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Have to admit, while I say only care about Derby and the news the past couple of days is really positive and we can hopefully look forward to the future again now, I find it hard to stomach being in a league below Forest (we haven’t experienced this for 27 years) with the prospect of a winnable final to take them to the premier league, along with Leicester and potentially Leeds if they stay up. I think now living in Nottingham makes things even worse for me. 

That all being said I’ll quickly forget what they’re doing if we can build on the positive momentum of this season. I’ve said before if we can get this done quickly, Rooney signs, the majority of the players I think will sign and whatever the restrictions of the business plan are, Rooney will have more freedom to operate than last summer when he still managed to cobble together a decent team. I see no reason why we can’t be competitive. After this week’s announcement I feel more positive this will happen.

If it drags through the summer and Rooney leaves with the majority of the squad, I think next season will be a long hard slog and we’ll be looking behind at the drop zone rather than at the promotion spots. But even this is better than having no club to support, but no doubt will make me continue to feel bitter about Forest and Leicester.

Rooney wont leave mate I am sure of this.

2 hours ago, David said:

I think that by saying Rooney can bring back the glory days as seen under Brian Clough is the nuttiest thing I have ever read on this forum.

I can't even begin to explain how outrageous that statement is.

Sorry B4.

Do you seriously think back in circa 1967 any Derby fan said, you know what, within five years we’ll be the best team in England. Like captain sensible said, if you don’t have a dream …….

Just now, Foreveram said:

Do you seriously think back in circa 1967 any Derby fan said, you know what, within five years we’ll be the best team in England. Like captain sensible said, if you don’t have a dream …….

Completely different era's, Man City have just signed a player worth more than our club, each year that passes the rich get even richer.

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

sadly, very very sadly, it's a vastly different era. Derby would never be able to recruit the kind of players akin to those Arthur signed, these players are now squad players in the Premier League. Back in 1985, there were probably 350-400 players on the books of ALL top tier teams in Division One. I would suggest that the top 8 teams probably have more on their books right now!

Arthur never had an Academy like we have now.

Plus, there are a LOT more overseas players taking up those extra slots now AND the technical standard of young player is higher.

Oh, and Arthur never had the pull for younger players like Rooney has.

I suspect a lot of teams would happily send young talent to learn under him over a lower level Championship team.

I'm this guys advocate. 

the little rascals devil GIF