Allsop v Roos

Seaside Ram

9 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Stopping shots are what goalkeepers are there to do, not to pass the ball about. That being said, some of Allsop's distribution has been excellent this season. It does seem that the defence are more comfortable with him in the goal. I like Roos and he is a good shot stopper but unfortunately for him, the jury is out and has been ever since the playoff final where he made that horrendous error.

If that were true then keepers would just stand on their line waiting for shots to come in.

There is a lot more to be a good all round keeper these days and, on balance, I think Allsop is the better.

7 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Can’t believe this is a question. I remember the whole crowd being terrified from every corner/cross when Roos was in net and rightly so…he would punch everything!

Allsop isn’t the greatest but he’s better and will be a very good League 1 keeper. 

You beat me to it Mckram.

This all day long, Yes there's still the Villa play off final to contend with, Roos is a decent keeper but that doesn't make him a better keeper, Allsop for me is more commanding of his 18 yard area, But as they say, A keeper is only as good as the defence in front of him, If we still had Jagielka at the back the trap door will still be closed shut...for now. 

19 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

There isn’t a lot in it but I’m more confident in Allsop on crosses and corners. Also he is generally calmer. But if we end up having to play Roos in league 1 then fair enough

I'd say if we end up having to play Roos in League One we'll concede an absolute shed-load of goals to teams who's main tactic is pumping the ball into the box at height.

I've actually thought at times Allsop has looked a top Championship keeper, first couple of months aside he's been consistent and reliable. There isn't a keeper alive who can't be accused of potentially having done better with a few of the goals they've conceded.

My only complaint about Allsop (and this may be the management's fault, not his) is that when we are in possession, he's coming about 20 yards too far forward. On Saturday, this left him too far out of position on the first two goals to be able to make the scorers' task harder. At times, he's too close to the defenders he's trying to play triangles with. 

On crosses etc in general, he gives me much more confidence than Roos. 

3 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

You are joking right ? He stands there all big , arms out ala Peter Schmicheil then gets done by a header straight at him about 5feet off the ground. He dived under it ! I thought it was Jossie Williams in goal!! 

Rubbish

46 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Can’t believe this is a question. I remember the whole crowd being terrified from every corner/cross when Roos was in net and rightly so…he would punch everything!

Allsop isn’t the greatest but he’s better and will be a very good League 1 keeper. 

You mean you thought the whole crowd were terrified.

I wasn't and I was there so don't assume you know what I'm thinking.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

You mean you thought the whole crowd were terrified.

I wasn't and I was there so don't assume you know what I'm thinking.

Exactly. Fans certainly didn't help sarcastically cheering when he caught the ball. I remember Eric Steele defending him against Ed Dawes when he punched a ball clear vs Palace in the FA Cup, when Dawes was screaming for him to catch a ball under heaps of pressure.

27 minutes ago, Crewton said:

My only complaint about Allsop (and this may be the management's fault, not his) is that when we are in possession, he's coming about 20 yards too far forward. On Saturday, this left him too far out of position on the first two goals to be able to make the scorers' task harder. At times, he's too close to the defenders he's trying to play triangles with. 

On crosses etc in general, he gives me much more confidence than Roos. 

I believe this is our coaching, They want our keeper to play a sweeper role, 1st goal he's caught in no mans land from a quick City break, 2nd goal we lose the ball and he's left to pick up the pieces.

We looked way below par in the 1st half, And for me that was down to too many changes and players not knowing what's what, If you gift the opposition 2 goals then things become a lot tougher.

Sometimes a player and a club don’t quite click. Roos has been here long enough for that situation to not quite be the case but ever since the PO final there’s always been a question mark over him. 

I feel a lot calmer with Allsop in goal. That said, Roos is definitely a luxury to have on the bench at league 1 level, so if Allsop was to get injured it wouldn’t be a disaster. 

Personally if I was Roos I’d be off to get the number 1 shirt at another club but maybe he’s settled and happy to play second fiddle? 

9 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Exactly. Fans certainly didn't help sarcastically cheering when he caught the ball. I remember Eric Steele defending him against Ed Dawes when he punched a ball clear vs Palace in the FA Cup, when Dawes was screaming for him to catch a ball under heaps of pressure.

He can have good games like West Brom earlier this season but if he's having a bad one he can't shift a mistake and it is terrifying.  Lee Grant and Martin Taylor were both similar keepers in that respect. He's certainly not worth keeping on a reported 16 k a week, not that we could pay that at the minute.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

If that were true then keepers would just stand on their line waiting for shots to come in.

There is a lot more to be a good all round keeper these days and, on balance, I think Allsop is the better.

My original point was that it's no use being good with your feet if you're poor at stopping shots. But overall I agree Allsop is probably the safest bet.

11 hours ago, Ramifications said:

But if the players wages per week, posted here last night are correct, Roos on sixteen grand a week is an indulgence we can't afford. Keep Ryan. As mentioned, he is essential to how Rooney wants to play. 

Roos should never have been given that new contract. Broke into the first team, and although he didn't look great we chucked a bumper new contract at him and made him first choice keeper to keep him here. We paid over the odds for his ability and would have been better bringing someone else in.

Credit where it's due, I think he has improved, to the extent where going into this season I would have happily classed him as our no. 1, but no doubt he is on higher wages than Alsop and there isn't a place for him next year so he's one of the easiest releases. Plenty of back up keepers we can bring in on the cheap, or if Alsop does move on, cheaper options who are more suited to Wazzball out there.

Just now, Seaside Ram said:

Very intelligent reply ?

An appropriate response to a rather ludicrous statement. I have just watched the goals again just to make sure my memory served me right. As for the first goal and the 1 v 1 with Wiemann….explain to a simpleton like me what he did wrong there ?

Allsop's done very well - to say he isn't a good shot stopper is rubbish, he's made several excellent saves that have kept us in games since the turn of the year. He's not perfect, which is why he's playing in a team that even without a points deduction is towards the bottom of the Championship. Yes he can worry you with the ridiculous goal kick routine, but that's Rooney's problem for forcing them to do it all the time. 

For me, he's been a real success story this season and has claimed the shirt completely. Hope he stays.

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

Allsop's done very well - to say he isn't a good shot stopper is rubbish, he's made several excellent saves that have kept us in games since the turn of the year. He's not perfect, which is why he's playing in a team that even without a points deduction is towards the bottom of the Championship. Yes he can worry you with the ridiculous goal kick routine, but that's Rooney's problem for forcing them to do it all the time. 

For me, he's been a real success story this season and has claimed the shirt completely. Hope he stays.

Me too…