Allsop v Roos

Seaside Ram

I actually don't mind Roos too much as No1 as on his day he's an excellent keeper but when he's off it he seems to be badly off it. He seemed to get rattled easily though and clearly the way he plays is not what Rooney is after. As much as anything though (and as others have said) in League 1 he's probably a bit of a luxury bench warmer on his wages. We will really need anyone on half decent wages to be a guaranteed starter to give us maximum scope to reshape this threadbare squad.

Keeper is one of those positions where there is absolutely nowhere to hide and people are far more likely to remember your gaffs than your triumphs. David Seaman, 75 caps for England and 2nd most capped England goalkeeper of all time will forever be remembered for letting that howler against Brazil. It's a tad unfair but that just seems to be the way with keepers. I think in terms of fan opinion, probably the avoidance of one howler buys you a lot of "Could he perhaps have done better ? Not sures.."

One criticism of Allsop is that I find his body language infuriating when we are chasing a game. He doesn’t show any urgency in getting the ball into play. Everything is a slow jog. I’m not saying he should look manic but there is a half way house. At least fetch the ball quickly if it’s gone dead 

12 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

One criticism of Allsop is that I find his body language infuriating when we are chasing a game. He doesn’t show any urgency in getting the ball into play. Everything is a slow jog. I’m not saying he should look manic but there is a half way house. At least fetch the ball quickly if it’s gone dead 

Fair comment, but I've noticed the same with Roos. Maybe they're coached to stay calm and find it hard to ramp it up? 

On 26/04/2022 at 08:48, VulcanRam said:

Thanks @Jubbs I can't debate on these things as I only have a rudimentary knowledge and yours far exceeds mine, but let's take Bart's miss on Saturday from a couple of yards. The whole ground goes "what a miss", yet you can't tell me stats in some way told us he was going to miss. Or is that what you're saying? Perhaps you're saying that that miss is analysed and used to predict future chances like that?

What can you tell us about that particular miss? Just helps me understand where you're coming from as I'd suggest the miss was totally unpredictable and greatly affected by the external (crowd, occasion etc) and internal (nerves, pressure) environment at that moment in time. Thanks. 

Cybulski actually only had an xG of 0.5 from his two shots, with that header being around 0.2. It may have been close range, but it was a header, which gives a much lower xG than if it was a shot off his stronger foot from the same range.