Allsop v Roos

Seaside Ram

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’m going to say the bottom one is Allsop?

18 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Nope! Roos is the one with most metrics over the 50th percentile.

Presumably a higher % is better, on every measure? So weirdly Roos has a much better XG% but Allsop a much better goals conceded % ? Maybe that suggests Allsop works better with his defence ? 

They are very different keepers. One aspect not measured (except maybe by goals conceded) is how well they attack crosses. That’s also a big one and I think Allsop’s judgement and execution is much the better. 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Presumably a higher % is better, on every measure? So weirdly Roos has a much better XG% but Allsop a much better goals conceded % ? Maybe that suggests Allsop works better with his defence ? 

Yeah higher % the better. Essentially, although Allsop has conceded less per game, Roos faces more shots/harder shots per game. 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

One aspect not measured (except maybe by goals conceded) is how well they attack crosses.

Measured by exits p90, which Roos is over the 90th percentile for exits p90 and aerial duels, on the flipslide, Allsop is quite low. Execution of these I don't know, but I think an exit is only counted if successful. 

20 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Measured by exits p90, which Roos is over the 90th percentile for exits p90 and aerial duels, on the flipslide, Allsop is quite low. Execution of these I don't know, but I think an exit is only counted if successful. 

Hard to measure though - often you think, the keeper should have gone for that. And if he doesn’t, and the header is in the bottom corner, it doesn’t affect the xg %

I think Roos is decent in aerial challenges but don’t think he chooses well which ones to go for 

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Hard to measure though - often you think, the keeper should have gone for that

Yeah deffo hard to measure and the detailed stats aren't easily accessible. Does Roos face more crosses therefore has better exits/aerial duels? I don't know, but what a few opposition fans have seen is that on the surface, Roos is statistically one of the best keepers in the championship.

Edited by Jubbs

On 31/05/2022 at 18:58, Premier ram said:

To be honest i wouldnt mind either of them as Derbys number one next season, both decent keepers , both prone to the odd mistake

Agreed. Comparing them is bit like comparing Buchanan and Forsyth. They play same position but have so different playing styles that comparing is hard if not impossible. 

I wish one of them stays. If we played in Premier League, I'd take Roos due his excellent shot stopping skills. But in League One we should be favourite in most games so Alsop higher concentration and ball-playing skill gets a nod from me.