LG 1 appropriate transfer suggestions

BuckoBeast

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Ah Ipswich.  Seen a few of them have a moan about us .  There wage bill must huge. Aluko, Carroll and Edmundson for starters who they gave more in wages than the 4.5 k we could offer . 

How can a League 1 side afford championship player wages 

Don't know, ask your chairman. Don't forget to ask about the fees on top.

It's a warning what eating too many carrots does to your brain. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought Festy made him look like a non-league full back early in the season, then he pretended to be injured so that Ebiowei didn't make him look like a Sunday league footballer.

His girlfriend is from Derby so you never know... 

On 02/07/2022 at 16:13, Jimbo Ram said:

Was 5 years ago and I think he has had a major injury since then. Also under contract at Oxford so might well play against us on the opening day. Liked him though….

Bloke is made of paper - 5 league starts (44 appearances) in 2 seasons tells you all you need to know.
Same goes for Jamie Hanson - crikey you got a fantastic deal out of that one, 60 league appearances in 4 seasons.

Thankfully both left as free agents now, releasing up a good chunk of wage budget.

Edited by CaptainOx

13 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

Bloke is made of paper - 5 league starts (44 appearances) in 2 seasons tells you all you need to know.
Same goes for Jamie Hanson - crikey you got a fantastic deal out of that one, 60 league appearances in 4 seasons.

Thankfully both left as free agents now, releasing up a good chunk of wage budget.

I doubt we got much of a fee for Jamie, with one year left on his contract. But it was you guys who gave him a 4 year contract, so that's on you I'm afraid. 

BTW, we're under a strict business plan monitored by the EFL. If we have a bigger wage budget than most other clubs in L1, it's because our revenue is bigger. It's that simple. And league positions aren't decided on wage budgets alone. Rosenior has got to galvanise and organise a squad, at least 50% of whom have yet to play for the club. No-one should expect us to hit the ground running. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're in the top half after 10 games. 

47 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I doubt we got much of a fee for Jamie, with one year left on his contract. But it was you guys who gave him a 4 year contract, so that's on you I'm afraid. 

BTW, we're under a strict business plan monitored by the EFL. If we have a bigger wage budget than most other clubs in L1, it's because our revenue is bigger. It's that simple. And league positions aren't decided on wage budgets alone. Rosenior has got to galvanise and organise a squad, at least 50% of whom have yet to play for the club. No-one should expect us to hit the ground running. I'll be pleasantly surprised if we're in the top half after 10 games. 

You got 400k for Hanson. Genius bit of negotiation by whoever it would have been at the time.

I know you're under a business plan, that doesn't stop the players you're signing being of extremely good quality.
I know it's that simple, it wasn't a dig, it was stating a fact. And quite obviously, having been in this division for over 5 years, we know wage budgets don't decide league positions because we've continually finished above clubs with resources way bigger than ours.

My point was feeling sorry for Rosenior because of A) the types of player brought in and B) because bigger budgets means bigger pressure - granted not from the whole fanbase. 

For a bloke in his first senior managerial role coming off the back of the last 18months of chaos and disarray, any pressure against him would feel harsh, but every club has those types who just expect an unbeaten season regardless.

20 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

You got 400k for Hanson. Genius bit of negotiation by whoever it would have been at the time.

I know you're under a business plan, that doesn't stop the players you're signing being of extremely good quality.
I know it's that simple, it wasn't a dig, it was stating a fact. And quite obviously, having been in this division for over 5 years, we know wage budgets don't decide league positions because we've continually finished above clubs with resources way bigger than ours.

My point was feeling sorry for Rosenior because of A) the types of player brought in and B) because bigger budgets means bigger pressure - granted not from the whole fanbase. 

For a bloke in his first senior managerial role coming off the back of the last 18months of chaos and disarray, any pressure against him would feel harsh, but every club has those types who just expect an unbeaten season regardless.

To be honest, we need experienced players alongside our academy lads. The average age of players who remained under contract was very low. Even Bielik is only just 24. 

It's not like we're adding these players to Morrison (gone), Lawrence (on his way to Sheffield United), Forsyth, Byrne and Richards - all status unknown! 

Bird (21), Knight (21) and Sibley (20), who remain in contract, are all under 23. 

Edited by angieram
Add a bit

5 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

£400K is more than I thought - was that upfront or the 'headline' figure if all add-ons were triggered? Either way, I can see why you said we got the best of the deal. I think most of us thought he'd do well for you. It won't be any consolation, but I wish we'd 'only' wasted £400K on a few of our players during the Morris era!

It's a fair point also about LR and expectations : most of us, I think, are realistic, but we know there is a an impatient element who judge everything on results - the same people, probably, who think Rooney should have done better with the resources at his disposal. Most of us know that we'll find a league with many clubs who have relatively settled line-ups, and who will regard us as a 'scalp' in the same way that Wednesday, Ipswich, Portsmouth and probably any of the yo-yo clubs are. There'll be a period of familiarisation and adjustment. Most of the players who've been signed or are possibly about to be signed have experience of L1, though perhaps not recently. In truth, I think the club would have signed more L1/2 players if they'd been available FoC, but because of the delay in a takeover being concluded, we're playing catch up with what's available, and many clubs are weeks ahead of us in preparation and squad strengthening. We've gone for the best we can get in the short-term and there's no guarantee it will bring success, but it has at least brought some excitement and anticipation after a truly dreadful 3 years of embargos, legal cases and threats of liquidation.

54 minutes ago, CaptainOx said:

Lol! Seriously? ?

I imagine he can't believe how well he's being backed so soon after administration. I imagine he is well up for the challenge! No worries mate. #COYR

Half the players we’ve signed if suggested in this thread people would have been shouted down for ‘unrealistic’ expectations. 

My heads honestly gone that we’ve managed to sign Chester and Hourihane never mind Mcgoldrick. 

I’m still managing expectations in my head but it’s just nice to not have to watch a bunch of 18 year olds being fed to the wolves week in week out despite how spirited and great they were.

I think that we will build a squad capable of competing and even winning promotion this season. I have had a sizeable bet on us winning the league and another on us getting promoted, but my expectations are set at enjoying the season...I want to see our fans showing the same joy and passion whether we won lose or draw as we saw last season. To me that is far more important than anything else.

We had the best fans and created the best atmosphere home and away last season...let's do the same again.